Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Danjel Purifoy - No longer on his HS team

Fab Five

Danjel Purifoy - No longer on his HS team

Danjel a top small forward prospect is no longer on the squad at Bibb County HS in West Blockton, AL. Article shows he has offers from Kentucky, Florida, Aubie, alaBama, and Wichita St among others. I did not realize UK had made an offer to the kid. He certainly does not measure up to Cal's normal standards.

http://www.abc3340.com/story/2539548...bb-county-team

I understand the coach cut him from the squad for not attending spring basketball practice. He made but one practice. Coach says everyone plays by the same rules. Purifoy says he will be transferring to play against better competition. The next will be his third different HS. Sounds like the kid is a Donovan or Pearl type player.

Re: Danjel Purifoy - No longer on his HS team

Mick he may not really have an offer. Thanks for the info.

Fab Five

I believe you are correct, Bird. He is quoted at another source as saying Kentucky, Wichita and Maryland are his top 3 choices. No other source lists him as having an offer from Kentucky. Hell, Kentucky is in my top 3, too.

Fiddlin' Five

Kentucky would be my first choice also…..it once was Dakotah Euton's and Vinnie Zollo's…..Euton is at Asbury…..whatever happened to Zollo???

Cal will not add a problem child, especially if he is not a franchise-type, potentially

He isn't Euton or Zollo.

I watched him some last year. Very good player. Can't speak of anything off court but the kid has talent to play at any high D1 school (Euton and Zollo didn 't).

I don't know the situation about "spring practice" but I do know many athlete play multiple sports and that can interfer with out of season practice. Perhaps Perifoy is a 2 or 3 sport kid.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Fiddlin' Five

Doc, agree on the talent observations…..my comment is somewhat facetious, that being…..lots of folks would have UK as their first choice…..doesn't mean we are interested…...

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    He isn't Euton or Zollo.

I watched him some last year. Very good player. Can't speak of anything off court but the kid has talent to play at any high D1 school (Euton and Zollo didn 't).

I don't know the situation about "spring practice" but I do know many athlete play multiple sports and that can interfer with out of season practice. Perhaps Perifoy is a 2 or 3 sport kid.
    His coach made a comment that he had Purifoy in class everyday. He would show up for class, but only made bball practice once. He offered no excuses. I assumed from that that there really wasn't anything else school related that would keep him from practice. Coach said rules apply to everyone. I hate to see a kid go off to his third high school. It has to be tough.

Totally irrelevant, but when I read the story written about him by Wesley Sinor in November, I checked the Bibb County school website and saw a "Kavon Purifoy" listed, but no Danjel.

I asked Wesley about the name difference, and he said the coach told him that his name was "Kavon," and "that's what everybody called him."

Wesley then told me that he asked Kavon, and he said that he went by "Danjel," (pronounced Dan-Gel).

Go figure - there was a disconnect between coach and player even as to his name.

Fab Five

Gee Darrell, something tells me coach and player weren't on the same page. It's not like there are a bunch of places this kid could transfer. He either would have to leave the county or return to Cahawba Christian. But, the kid says he wants to play against better competition. That is understandable. Playing at Bibb County is not going to do much for developing skills. But, if he stays close by, it would almost have to mean he would turn up at one of the Birmingham area high schools. This is a strange situation. I'm not sure I would want to play for this coach.