Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

7 Time Ky Sportswriter
    of the Year

Bilas, Vitale see competiton, not problem, with UK's roster

College basketball analyst Jay Bilas sees competition, not too much depth, on John Calipari’s roster next season at Kentucky.

“You can only have too much depth if it affects team chemistry. This is competition, so players should expect to compete for time,” said the ESPN analyst. “But, when you have too many really good players to play all to the level of their ability, real or perceived, it can cause problems. Some call it a good or high class problem, but it can be detrimental if you allow it to be.”

Another ESPN analyst, Dick Vitale, thinks the abundance of talent Calipari will have is a “great problem to have” for any team.

“It is a coach’s dream,” Vitale said. “John is a master dealing with athletes. He is able to motivate and inspire. This last year he finally got them to buy into the name (Kentucky) on the jersey.

“With the Harrisons, (Dakari) Johnson, (Alex) Poythress, the whole gang, I just do not think he’ll have a chemistry problem. Kids want playing time. There will be a kid or two make a wrong decision, but these kids figured out not to leave Kentucky. So John has a beautiful problem. I would always rather have too much talent than not enough. Any coach would and you sure won’t hear John complaining about all the great players he has.”

Re: Bilas, Vitate see competiton, not problem, with UK's roster

The good news is Cal recruits on the whole idea of playing good competition in practice and that being the path to the NBA. I'd say it's never truer than this year. So he doesn't have to suddenly change his tune with anyone, which is big for credibility to say the least.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I think the quality of these young men is very understated. Kids like WCS, POY, Lee, Hawkins and DJ never complained once about lack of PT or sulked about coming off the bench. The kids coming in have all talked about team first and competing for the team. I don't a think it will be a problem at all.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Chemistry and defense are the two biggest question marks for this team. The biggest issue might come about if the freshmen do outplay the veterans who came back. That might be an issue.

But everyone needs to bring it. Because of the talent, I do hope we find a way to play more people. If we can extend some leads and get the new guys more meaningful minutes that would be a plus for us.

If folks recall, chemistry was a major discussion point prior to the start of 1995-96. It was not a real issue during the season but Pitino (his best coaching job?) found ways to make everyone happy enough to win.

I believe Cal will adjust his sometimes conservative approach and we'll be putting a lot of points on the board. If we are a strong enough team, some thirty point leads will afford the reserve players time to make their contributions.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Bombino
    This is a disaster for UK, just like all of the UofL fans said. Too many all-Americans, too little playing time, inevitable dissension, losses mounting, cats and dogs living together, total chaos.

We are screwed.

"Practically, it was more like a Roman army decimation -- a brutally harsh punishment levied by a ruthless hegemon, an act with a message: Don't mess with us.”

- Eamonn Brennan, ESPN

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue92 View Post
    This is a disaster for UK, just like all of the UofL fans said. Too many all-Americans, too little playing time, inevitable dissension, losses mounting, cats and dogs living together, total chaos.

We are screwed.
    Hopeless, be lucky to win 10 games.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue92 View Post

We are screwed.
    Like I said all year, we desperately need less depth and experience and to have to press-gang walk ons into minutes at key times if we really want to move forward as a program. With Cal not having to start at step one on offense and defense I fear we will be NIT bound again, as are all teams who return massive depth, experience and talent.

Woe to us.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.