Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radbirds and Bravos at 5:00 EST

Re: Radbirds and Bravos at 5:00 EST

Redbirds win 6-3. Sweet win, bitter loss for the Bravos.

Mike Shannon said both the 3rd base umpire and the home plate umpire called it. Did TV replays show BOTH umpires with their arms in the air?

I've seen a .gif of where it was located in the outfield, and I don't have a (huge) problem with that. The ball was in the air a long time, and the rule only requires an infielder to handle the ball with ordinary effort.

Maybe a bad call, but the worst part of it is if the umpire called it late. Should've been an early call. I'd be interested in seeing whether the home plate umpire called it early, or a 3rd base umpire called it early, or what.

Likely changed at least one run in the game. Just a late call. Too late.

Definition:

If a fair fly ball is in play, and in the umpire's judgment it is catchable by an infielder with ordinary effort, the umpire shall call "infield fly" (or more often, "infield fly, batter's out"); the batter will be out regardless of whether the ball is actually caught in flight.

From wiki (I know, not the best source, but quick--and correct)--

For example, if an infielder retreats to the outfield in an effort to catch a fly ball with ordinary effort, the infield fly rule is invoked, even if an outfielder ultimately caught the ball, and even if no infielder attempted to make a play on the ball.

The protest will fail because it's a judgment call.

An infield fly is a judgment call and may be declared by any umpire on the field. It may not be appealed or overturned by any other umpire.

Mike Shannon said both the 3rd base umpire and the home plate umpire called it. Did TV replays show BOTH umpires with their arms in the air?

I just saw the replay and the answer is yes. The outfield umpire signaled for it just a split second before the 3rd base umpire did. It honestly looked like the 3rd base umpire saw the other call it and decided to call the same thing. It looked like the outfield ump waited until the Cards short stop kinda settled under the ball before he made the call
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    Likely changed at least one run in the game. Just a late call. Too late.
    That's a big issue. I'd be livid if it was late. MLB rules REQUIRE the umpire to call it immediately. I'd still like to see which umpires called it to see if ONE of them called it quickly, and the other(s) followed suit.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post

I just saw the replay and the answer is yes. The outfield umpire signaled for it just a split second before the 3rd base umpire did. It honestly looked like the 3rd base umpire saw the other call it and decided to call the same thing. It looked like the outfield ump waited until the Cards short stop kinda settled under the ball before he made the call
    Both were still very late, though, Dan?

That call HAS to be made near-immediately, or certainly should be.

Way to late. Call was made maybe a second before the ball hit the ground at most
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Ugh.

That's awful. They have every right to be upset. Every right.

It's a judgement call. Rarely do you see an infield fly rule not called as soon as the plate ump lifts out of his stance after the hit. It fit the definition by rule, and would have been much better if Kozma had just caught the damn ball. Problem solved.
    When no call is made, runners advancing it looks suspect, foolish to call it so late.
    Last edited by Catonahottinroof; 10-05-2012 at 08:04 PM.

I hate that. I'm obviously not a Braves fan, and I'm a Cardinals fan, but that's just plumb awful.

Now that I think about it, the radio broadcast never called the infield fly rule, so OBVIOUSLY it had to be extremely late for them to totally miss it, rather than reassure me and the other listeners.

Awful.

Thanks, CITH.

Announcers are full of bleh saying it was too deep. SS had the ball, he just turned away because he thought the LF was going to catch it. Obviously catchable by MLB infielder with ordinary effort.

That's not the rub. The rub is the delay in call, which is outrageous.

On to St Louis to host the Nationals for 2. No sense in dwelling on the call now, it's over and done.
    Glad to be defending the World Series title.