Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

CBS Borzello: "Had Couple NBA Scouts Tell Me Tyler Ulis Better Than Tyus Jones"

Re: CBS Borzello: "Had Couple NBA Scouts Tell Me Tyler Ulis Better Than Tyus Jones"

Ulis sees the floor better than anyone in this class or anyone I've seen in a number of classes. Long way to go adjusting to college but I doubt he's a 4 year player despite his height and the NBA love of tall players. Between his natural feel for the game as a PG and the Kentucky Effect I don't think we get him that long.

FWIW, if Cal/UK gets a 5'9" player solidly into the 1st round early every player in America should try to make this roster. that's no knock on Ulis, just on the NBA's reluctance to take undersized players at any position. Chuck Hayes will end up a 10 year pro and the only reason he didn't go top 15-20 was height.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Re: CBS Borzello: "Had Couple NBA Scouts Tell Me Tyler Ulis Better Than Tyus Jones"

He will be an interesting match up for Andrew in practice everyday. I foresee him taking Andrew's game to an entirely new level. I am so excited about next year!!

Peace

Richard (CW)

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    He will be an interesting match up for Andrew in practice everyday. I foresee him taking Andrew's game to an entirely new level. I am so excited about next year!!

Peace

Richard (CW)
    Excellent point. it will be a contrast in styles in a lot of ways, should end up helping both players.

In fact I'd say next year, if the twins and Alex return and Dakari will be the epitome of the "improve by playing the best every day" mantra. The 3 may or may not be too crowded, but the other 4 spots are going to be a battle.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Andrew's handle will get a lot tighter, that's for sure. Those looping cross-overs that he did, in front of his body, when he changed directions -- well, those wouldn't last a second with Mr. Ulis on D, I think.

Peace

Richard (CW)

Perfect player to practice against and play with. I think they help each other immensely!

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
    Andrew's handle will get a lot tighter, that's for sure. Those looping cross-overs that he did, in front of his body, when he changed directions -- well, those wouldn't last a second with Mr. Ulis on D, I think.
    Here we go again. It's not like Andrew played against the Jesaamine County Middle School Girls team all season and he comported himself pretty well. But for some reason we can't help ouselves from elevating a guy who has yet to even practice at UK to a place where he will be the best player Andrew has ever played against. I'm sure Ulis will be very good, but I'm guessing Andrew will be able to get the ball past midcourt against him at least 50% of the time.

I'll just say this: if Aaron had practiced against Ulis all year UK would have thumped UConn. Tyler is everything that Napier is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    Here we go again. It's not like Andrew played against the Jesaamine County Middle School Girls team all season and he comported himself pretty well. But for some reason we can't help ouselves from elevating a guy who has yet to even practice at UK to a place where he will be the best player Andrew has ever played against. I'm sure Ulis will be very good, but I'm guessing Andrew will be able to get the ball past midcourt against him at least 50% of the time.
    Pretty big exaggeration of Philly's post there IMO.

Ulis is known for being pretty good at on ball pressure and going for the ball if you put it out there. He didn't say Ulis would whip Andrew's butt, he said it would improve Andrew's game by making him have to be more consistently careful with the ball in practice. Are you saying Ulis isn't an improvement on Polson, who he went against much of the time? I love Jarod, but he isn't a big steals/ball pressure guy.

I'd say Philly is dead on that Ulis will help Andrew get the ball in closer to his body on his moves, protect it better. If he said anything about whipping Andrew (your 50% comment) please correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
    I'll just say this: if Aaron had practiced against Ulis all year UK would have thumped UConn. Tyler is everything that Napier is.
    This.

I thought the quick hands of the UCONN guards caused a lot of hesitation on the part of the UK players. It greatly affected the offensive flow, IMO.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Pretty big exaggeration of Philly's post there IMO.

Ulis is known for being pretty good at on ball pressure and going for the ball if you put it out there. He didn't say Ulis would whip Andrew's butt, he said it would improve Andrew's game by making him have to be more consistently careful with the ball in practice. Are you saying Ulis isn't an improvement on Polson, who he went against much of the time? I love Jarod, but he isn't a big steals/ball pressure guy.

I'd say Philly is dead on that Ulis will help Andrew get the ball in closer to his body on his moves, protect it better. If he said anything about whipping Andrew (your 50% comment) please correct me.
    My response was directed at your post above as much as Philly Cat's. It's just the general hyperbole about whoever is next in line. We heard it to some extent about Harrow. It's also a comment on the devaluation of how good Andrew actually was.

Of course Ulis will be better to practice against then Polson, but that is not what Philly said. He commented on how Andrew played in games, or at least that's where I'm assuming he saw him play. My point was that Andrew had played against some pretty good competition in games and handled himself pretty well.

While I won't pretend to know exactly what Philly meant, I will say that this "well, those wouldn't last a second with Mr. Ulis on D, I think" sounds suspiciously like one stating that one player would "whip" another as "not last a second" generally can be interpreted to mean "would never work" as in "Ulis will whip him every time."

Let me be clear - based on what I've read, since I don't watch film, I have every confidence that Ulis will be excellent. But every year we fall into the same trap of elevating players beyond their ability. Why can't we simply let the guys come in and play and see how good they really are?

I just refuse to get excited till I see the final roster...

Exactly Ander
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

I have seen enough of Ulis and Jones to know Ulis would own him head to head,
    not that impressed with jones.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Double post. Wasn't that good the first time....

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    Agreed 100%.

We will struggle BIG TIME if the twins don't return or we don't get a couple quality transfers. Another 10 loss regular season IMHO.

I agree with you anderwt. ASSUMING the twins return as well as Alex , we can get really excited. If they to leave , we are in trouble in the back court. It's not because of lack of talent, but experience. Our incoming freshmen guards are skilled, but lack strength as well. They need time only the twins can allow them to have.

Peace

Richard (CW)
    Andrew will also force Tyler to adjust to playing against bigger PGs in a big way. I can see both being on the floor together for 10 to 15 minutes a game next season.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Ulis is a different player than Andrew and will add a great contrast should both be on the team in 15. As far as Ulis pushing Andrew--I think that happens. Andrew will be a year older and wiser but Ulis will be a much different challenge in practice than say Polson or Hawkins.

We now have talent, fingers crossed, to push each other in practice regularly at every position.

Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    Ulis is a different player than Andrew and will add a great contrast should both be on the team in 15. As far as Ulis pushing Andrew--I think that happens. Andrew will be a year older and wiser but Ulis will be a much different challenge in practice than say Polson or Hawkins.

We now have talent, fingers crossed, to push each other in practice regularly at every position.
    You get better with practice. If Andrew returns, he will be well prepared for quick handed guards, and his antenna will be raised. I like Jarrod, and he had his strengths, but on the ball pressure wasn't one of them. It is for Tyler Ulis. Will be interesting.

Edit... I just realized I basically said, me too. Sorry about that.

via mobile app

Me too

Fiddlin' Five

Let me be clear - based on what I've read, since I don't watch film, I have every confidence that Ulis will be excellent. But every year we fall into the same trap of elevating players beyond their ability. Why can't we simply let the guys come in and play and see how good they really are?

The voice of reason!! Save this for every year.

I'm guessing Andrew will be able to get the ball past midcourt against him at least 50% of the time.
    That's a low bar that you've set.

Peace

Richard (CW)
    I'll second that. The four freshmen coming in will be a perfect complement to what we have coming back. The passing and skill set those four have will make a tremendous difference in the team. I can't wait for the season to start.

Um... I just meant that Ulis has quick hands and will help reinforce the importance of a tight handle for Andrew. Andrew occasionally lost the ball on a particular cross-over move that was susceptible to quick guards. That's really it. He obviously did quite well for himself against a whole host of guards.

I'll try to stop posting all the Rorschach blots where people can interpret them lots of different ways. Only fastballs down the middle from me, from now on.

Unforgettable

Philly don't change, most of us enjoy your insights

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
    Um... I just meant that Ulis has quick hands and will help reinforce the importance of a tight handle for Andrew. Andrew occasionally lost the ball on a particular cross-over move that was susceptible to quick guards. That's really it. He obviously did quite well for himself against a whole host of guards.

I'll try to stop posting all the Rorschach blots where people can interpret them lots of different ways. Only fastballs down the middle from me, from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    Thanks, but no worries-- I wasn't going on a "woe is me" fishing expedition for attention. I love this Board, and my tone may not have come off the way I intended it-- basically, just apologetic that I stirred people up unnecessarily. Bakert's point is totally legit, and it's one that I share. I didn't want to be on the receiving end of one of his missiles without deserving it... which I surely will 100 other times in the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    plus 1

Quote Originally Posted by ajp40505 View Post
    I'll second that. The four freshmen coming in will be a perfect complement to what we have coming back. The passing and skill set those four have will make a tremendous difference in the team. I can't wait for the season to start.
    Assuming what we think is gong to happen:

AJP gets the real point of the Ulis /Aaron talk, and it extends to the rest of the team and really, this is the first time any Cal team at UK has had such a DEPTH of talent, and in contrasting styles where opposing players strengths and weakness can really help each other.

Aaron isn't going to get picked every time down court by Ulis. But he will have to keep on top of his dribble, and PASSES[which will hopefully extend throughout the team] all practice, every practice when Tyler is on him. And of course, Aaron isn't going to simply outmuscle Tyler every time down court either. But Tyler had better get ready to be on the receiving end of some shoulders to his noggin if he lets Aaron get even with him.

And while Dakari is a fine position defender and bull strong, he's going to have to step out on Towns and Lyons because if he doesn't, those guys will drain 15 footers on him all day. But then, neither of those guys probably has much experience trying to defend a bull strong seven footer who knows what a drop step is and will merrily stick his elbow in your eye to clear you on his way to a layup and bump you under the goal is you let him get position.

Again, Lyons and Towns, especially Lyons, have some smooth moves around the goal. But how often have they had to play against guys their size or bigger who can go into low Earth orbit and send their shots sailing back over their heads like WCS and Lee can?

Oftentimes you hear about a great team that their practices are harder than games. But that could not have been the case at UK under Cal. He's rarely had more than seven or so really talented, physically mature players at one time. If what we think will happen comes to pass, he'll have two whole teams plus a couple to spare.

It's hard to imagine how much better they should be with peers, instead of walk ons half the time, guarding them or going by/through/over them in practice.