Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: If you were "King of the NCAA" for a day, what do you change?

If you were "King of the NCAA" for a day, what do you change?

Since King dork Emmert made his goofy appearance yesterday, I figured it would be interesting to see what posters would change if they could. I'll go first

1) No limit on scholarships- I've never been able to figure this one out. If the NCAA is about education, why do they limit the number of free educations a school can give away? If UK wants to provide an education to 50 basketball players, why stop them? I understand limiting a team size but why limit the number of rides? Worrying about a team "stockpiling" talent? OK, then let a kid transfer w/o any penalty if a team has over 13 kids on scholarship. But if UK wants to pay for Todd Lanter to go to school, why not?

2) Allow structured practice all year. I'd rather the players be able to practice under the watchful eyes of a coach rather than "pick up" games which are run by players, or under the guise of a camp.

3) Provide 100% medical coverage for any and all medical injuries. Again, what does it hurt to provide insurance. If the school wants to provide it why should the NCAA care? Unfair advantage? Really? So its unfair that UK can provide insurance to James Young who makes millions of dollars for UK while Arkansas St can't afford to provide insurance for somebody who makes them nothing. Welcome to the real world. So James should have to do without because somebody else can't produce? Same for disability insurance on future earnings. Why should a James Young or Julius Randle risk injury with no insurance (yes, I know there are some policies out there but I'd make them more accessible)

4) Give them food if they want food. Cream cheese for their bagel is fine with me. A nutty bar at midnight isn't a big deal nor is a jar of PBJ. Glad they solved that problem but it wasn't a major issue. Only reason it was an issue is because the NCAA made it one by going after coaches for violating a stupid rule.

5) Get rid of the 5 years to play 4 rule. If you got 4 years of eligibility then you got 4 years of eligibility, period. If it takes 8 years to play 4 season then it takes 8 years to play 4 seasons. If you redshirt 4 times, fine. Who cares. And if you play in less than 20% of the games regardless of when you play, that does not count as a season. Screw this wasted season because you got in for 1 game at the end of the year crap.

6) Once you accept a scholarship you are on scholarship until you either leave the school voluntarily, flunk out or you graduate. You can be kicked off the team but you still have your ride. Why? Because its about an education. If there are an unlimited number of scholarships, it would make no difference.

Those would be some of the things I'd change. Interested to hear what others would do, or why my ideas suck.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: If you were "King of the NCAA" for a day, what do you change?

Toss the amateurism rule. All of you know that.

There have to be scholarship limits. Otherwise the football crazies stockpile to ridiculous numbers. Whatever regulatory agency you want will always insist on reasonable, equal squad size.

And there have to be practice limitations as well. Same point. Back in the true dark ages, you'd have football and basketball coaches who insisted on outrageous amounts of practice, and the others had to follow suit to keep up.

I do believe in a level playing field for all the institutions, and some sensible balance between the demands of competition and scholastic.

I don't think so on the stockpiling thing. Look at it this way. Lets say Bama wants to stockpile but there is no consequence to transfering--no requirement to sit out. You're a 5 star stud but stockpiled behind another 5 star stud. Are you going to sit a year? No way. Having no transfer penalty limits a schools ability to stockpile. Kids want to play, not sit. Stockpiling means you sit. Transfer rules allowed that player to move on rather than sit and be stockpiled. This isn't the 50's where there were few options, where there were only a few great programs to go to. Nowdays there are dozens of programs that can get you to where you want to be, so a kid doesn't have to stick it out at one of the 10 schools behind somebody and wait his turn if he doesn't have to sit 2 years.

I agree about the amateurism though. Who cares if a kid got something? I don't. Same with agents. I also believe a HS kid should be allowed to have a representative/agent if he so desires. Why can't he hire anybody he wants at any age he wants? If I want a lawyer to look out for my best interests, why can't I hire a lawyer to look out for my best interests?

No problem with limiting the amount of practice. I'm saying they should be able to practice year round. Kids play ball year round. Lets not fool ourselves into thinking otherwise. I'd rather they be doing so in an enviroment where they are developing under the eye of a coach than not. Limit it to 20 hr weekly 52 weeks a year.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Officiating. Do everything to make it as good as possible. Grading, reviews, and better $$$ for the best and so on for incentive.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Officiating. Do everything to make it as good as possible. Grading, reviews, and better $$$ for the best and so on for incentive.
    Agree--make officials available to the press after games so they can explain their calls. also reviewable/graded (with the evaluations published) at season end by league administration to see how they faired and being held accountable. Get rid of the bad ones for sure.

That's easy. I'd give UofL's entire athletic department the death penalty permanently.

And no, I'm not kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    That's easy. I'd give UofL's entire athletic department the death penalty permanently.

And no, I'm not kidding.
    You beat me to it! 😹

Alabama could stoickpile to its heart's content, and look forward to playing a twelve game season, consisting of home-and-home with Auburn, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska, the other public universities that MAY be silly enough to put the same level of resources into the sport.

A competitive league has to impose some sort of restriction, otherwise you don't have a league.

Here's what happens, UK demands a squad of 50 players. The other 12 members of the SEC say nuts to that, we'll agree to restrict squads to 15, or whatever it is. They all sign on and have a great time in league play. And Kentucky plays . . . . who, exactly?

Work with the membership in forming a committee that operates outside the control of the NCAA's leadership and works exclusively to assure fair practice in the enforcement of NCAA rules and regs.

Revamp the entire enforcement process to include mandatory open hearings in all cases involving it's membership.

What Badrose said.

I'd also generally move toward rewarding programs, players, and coaches who operate at a high level of transparancy while meeting or exceeding NCAA mandates rather than solely depending on punishment of those who work outside the lines and skirt the rules.

Encourage compliance and cooperation rather than discouraging by threat of retaliatory action.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

If you were "King of the NCAA" for a day, what do you change?

I'm looking for "out side the box" here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, but you have to have opponents. Other schools have to agree, or you are discussing an intramural program.

First decree: lifetime pension for one day NCAA kings.

(I do have some serious suggestions, will get back to those, they take a lot more time)
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

First order of business would be to fire Emmert, second would be to appoint a board made up of KSR members and give them total power to change or abolish rules currently in use.

I'd make it against the rules for any NCAA representative, including Emmert to receive any perks or extra benefits accrued directly or as a result of their affiliation.
    The resulting penalty would be immediate termination of any and all compensation

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Bombino
    Vacate every Duke win with Corey Magette, including their Final Four.
    Vacate every UNC win in every sport in the era of their academic fraud. Including the national titles.
    Vacate UCLA's titles and strip Wooden's wins.
    Remember to send shitty letters when their coaches celebrate milestone wins.
    Reinstate Memphis and UMass wins.
    Elect Eric Manuel to the board, and pay him Emmett's salary - backdated.
    FREE ENES.
    Light a bag of poop on Bobby Knight's doorstep and ring the doorbell. Then not run.

"Practically, it was more like a Roman army decimation -- a brutally harsh punishment levied by a ruthless hegemon, an act with a message: Don't mess with us.”

- Eamonn Brennan, ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue92 View Post
    Vacate every UNC win in every sport in the era of their academic fraud. Including the national titles.
    FREE ENES.
    Light a bag of poop on Bobby Knight's doorstep and ring the doorbell. Then not run.
    Great post with a great ending.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post

And no, I'm not kidding.
    Internet thread winner.

via mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    First order of business would be to fire Emmert, second would be to appoint a board made up of KSR members and give them total power to change or abolish rules currently in use.
    Another thread winner.

via mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue92 View Post
    FREE ENES.
    Geez. Another winner. So many winners here.

via mobile app

If an SEC basketball or football official blow a call, they have to apologize for the call, then they are banned from calling SEC games for 1 year.

The UNC academic fraud case is one of the most egregious violations I have seen in my lifetime. The NCAA just turned a blind eye and a deaf ear to the violation and swept it under the rug. What happens next? Every student/athlete that participated in sports AND took the classes involved in the academic fraud shall be retroactively ruled ineligible. For every game they participated will be vacated, and their statistics shall be stricken from the record books.

If Rick Pitino is to set foot in Rupp Arena again, his hair plugs have to to be repossessed, he's not fooling anyone.

LET THE KIDS EAT IF THEY ARE HUNGRY!!!

Each student/athlete gets $20 for every game they participate. Not to exceed $500 per season. This fund is meant to be used for the student/athlete's per deim expenses.

Good first post zippy. Welcome to the posting side. By the look of your thoughts, you are certainly KSR material.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.