Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Prediction: Trey Lyles Starts At PF Next Season; Ultimate Stat Sheet Stuffer

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Prediction: Trey Lyles Starts At PF Next Season; Ultimate Stat Sheet Stuffer

I've seen him 6-8 games now. 6-10 and 250 with tremendous skills. Scores with either hand; very good passer from the
    high post. Shot 76% on FTs his senior season and looked very good last night from the line. Not incredibly athletic, but
    Bill Russell always said the vast majority of rebounds are below the rim anyway.

As intelligent a player as we have had coming in. Must improve defensively as 99% of the elite players need to. ESPN likens
    him offensively to a young Tim Duncan. Says he may have best move/counter move in the low post in the class.

Darryl

Re: Prediction: Trey Lyles Starts At PF Next Season; Ultimate Stat Sheet Stuffer

I think we may just see three distinct units employed this coming season. The Starters and, The "could be" Starters, and The Closers

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Re: Prediction: Trey Lyles Starts At PF Next Season; Ultimate Stat Sheet Stuffer

I don't see any "tim duncan" in him. I see more charles barkley. Kid is a load which is a good thing.

I still believe Alex gets his shot at the PF spot although we need help at the 3. Could see him pushed out there or many Willis or Townes, or more likely a 3 guard lineup of the twins return (AnH, AaH, Booker).

It will be interesting. Poss lots of options but lots of limitations. Shortage at the 3 and poss shortage at the guards. Glutton of depth at the 4 and 5 spots.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I don't see any "tim duncan" in him. I see more charles barkley. Kid is a load which is a good thing.

I still believe Alex gets his shot at the PF spot although we need help at the 3. Could see him pushed out there or many Willis or Townes, or more likely a 3 guard lineup of the twins return (AnH, AaH, Booker).

It will be interesting. Poss lots of options but lots of limitations. Shortage at the 3 and poss shortage at the guards. Glutton of depth at the 4 and 5 spots.
    Joe B. would have loved it. It seems to me Cal's newfound acceptance of zone principles came just in time. We could cover a lot of ground in a tight two/one/two with WCS in the middle.. if Aaron and Andrew return.

Inside depth would be key in allowing us to play more zone. Bigs (especially young big men) tend to get caught behind the play trying to recover a lot.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Fab Five

Assuming Alex returns, doesn't this motivate him even more to do nothing but work on ball handling and outside shooting? If he can become a very good 3 he not only finds a "hole" in our lineup where he can get minutes but he positions himself better for the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    Assuming Alex returns, doesn't this motivate him even more to do nothing but work on ball handling and outside shooting? If he can become a very good 3 he not only finds a "hole" in our lineup where he can get minutes but he positions himself better for the NBA.
    Exactly.

Fiddlin' Five

The interesting part to me is will Lee and Willis put in the work this summer to get bigger and stronger. All this talk of freshman starting could go out the window if both come back bigger and stronger. This would give the freshman time to learn the system with little pressure, unlike this year. I for sure can see Poythress playing the 3, he knows what he needs to work on. You have to admit that when Cal went to his bench this past year, he went to a weakness, this could be the year that is not the case. We may not miss a step 10 deep.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
    The interesting part to me is will Lee and Willis put in the work this summer to get bigger and stronger. All this talk of freshman starting could go out the window if both come back bigger and stronger. This would give the freshman time to learn the system with little pressure, unlike this year. I for sure can see Poythress playing the 3, he knows what he needs to work on. You have to admit that when Cal went to his bench this past year, he went to a weakness, this could be the year that is not the case. We may not miss a step 10 deep.
    Exactly. Talent trumps experience but experienced talent trumps all. That was the point I was trying to make in the other thread concerning Andrew/Ulis. It's not that Ulis isn't good, but rather that in addition to being good, Andrew has experience. We've all seen how long it takes for most freshmen to ramp up. Why do we expect Lyles or Towns to automatically start over guys who were also McDonalds AA's but who have a year in the system?

Why do we expect Lyles or Towns to automatically start over guys who were also McDonalds AA's but who have a year in the system?
    I certainly don't. It's a possibility I guess, but not very likely we see a freshman in the starting linup if our starting guards return.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    I certainly don't. It's a possibility I guess, but not very likely we see a freshman in the starting linup if our starting guards return.
    I agree

Fiddlin' Five

Exactly. Talent trumps experience but experienced talent trumps all. That was the point I was trying to make in the other thread concerning Andrew/Ulis. It's not that Ulis isn't good, but rather that in addition to being good, Andrew has experience. We've all seen how long it takes for most freshmen to ramp up. Why do we expect Lyles or Towns to automatically start over guys who were also McDonalds AA's but who have a year in the system?
    The nice thing about Andrew and Ulis is they are nothing alike, it's like going from man to man to zone, tall and big to small and quickness. Should be a nightmare matchup for most any team, plus it gives us a matchup answer.

I have been impressed with Lyles every time I have watched him. He appears to always be in control.

I think of Patrick Patterson when I see lyles..

See that kid that played a couple of years ago at UT. Not athletic but extremely skilled and great frame.

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Kacat View Post
    See that kid that played a couple of years ago at UT. Not athletic but extremely skilled and great frame.
    Tobias Harris?

Darryl

Harris is a good call on Lyles.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Unforgettable

If Alex starts at the 3, then imo Towns starts over Lyles at the 4. Or if Willis works really hard, he could start at the 3 with Alex at the 4, just don't see keeping Alex out of the starting lineup at the beginning of the year, after that it depends on him.

I think Lyles is going to be the Poythress of next year's team. I think the 4/5 spots will be dominated in minutes by WCS, Dakari(if he returns), Towns and Lee. I see Lyles getting 10-12 min at the 4 and may have to steal some minutes in a big lineup at the 3.

Just too much depth, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    I think of Patrick Patterson when I see lyles..
    I agree. If there is a Tim Duncan-esque player out there its Karl Townes. Long with a jumper.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Tobias Harris?

Darryl
    Yep that's the one. Thanks D.

Harris was a much better ball handler, better in the open floor. Lyles is better under the basket, down in the blocks. Trey is more physical.

Lyles seems like a player who's never gonna go off for 25 or 30, but even in has "bad" games will always have 9 points and 7 rebounds and a steal or two.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    I agree. I actually hope we don't. That would mean Alex, DJ, and/or WCS has not progressed.

Agree Doc! Assuming Alex returns and works hard, he deserves a shot at his position of choice. But he is a must at the 3. That is why I see plenty of PT for Willis this year at the 3 providing he workds hard on his defense. We are even longer than last years team and really do see some zone opportunities for this team which will help Willis, but he has to work in the off season as if we are a straight man-to-man team. I likely your Barkley comparison for Lyles too if we have to compare.

Peace

Richard (CW)

Harris was a much better ball handler, better in the open floor. Lyles is better under the basket, down in the blocks. Trey is more physical.
    FWIW, Doc, I believe Lyles is very underrated for his ball handling. Not out of the question for him to get SOME minutes at the 3, but he won't start (no Freshman will IMO) at either PF or SF.
    JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    Agree Doc! Assuming Alex returns and works hard, he deserves a shot at his position of choice. But he is a must at the 3. That is why I see plenty of PT for Willis this year at the 3 providing he workds hard on his defense. We are even longer than last years team and really do see some zone opportunities for this team which will help Willis, but he has to work in the off season as if we are a straight man-to-man team. I likely your Barkley comparison for Lyles too if we have to compare.

Peace

Richard (CW)
    IF the twins and AP come back..Willis will have to be patient..

On another note, love having you back more CW..hope all is well

Lyles made a move to the basket last night that was pretty smooth with the ball but at 6'10 it's hard to have much of a handle.

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    If Alex starts at the 3, then imo Towns starts over Lyles at the 4. Or if Willis works really hard, he could start at the 3 with Alex at the 4, just don't see keeping Alex out of the starting lineup at the beginning of the year, after that it depends on him.
    +1