Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Unforgettable

Re: Weight Loss Thread

Uh, whose toes are those, the ones with a ring

QUOTE=Darrell KSR;101617]Probably temporary, but....

Sent using Forum Runner[/QUOTE]

Had a friend of mine give me that toe ring when I turned 40 years old. 13 years later, I still have it. Yes, it has been off the toe.

It's a reminder not to take things too seriously. It has been a nice stress reliever at times, too. Just take off my shoe and sock, and look at it. And sometimes I can feel it on the toe.

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Great job Darrell!

I can only wish to ever see numbers like that.

I have actually dropped about 15 pounds over the past few weeks and though I had a couple of bad meals this week, I have done more walking and am overall doing better on my diet than I had in the past.

I doubt I ever get to the 200 lb level, but hopefully I'll keep getting closer. (FYI, I'm 5'9" but don't want to reveal my weight right now, but it is not good.)
    Thanks, Flounder--you're doing GREAT if you've dropped that much in the last few weeks.

Mine is going very slowly now, and I am behind my goal of 1-1/2 lbs per week. Through 7 months, I have lost 34.6 pounds, so less than 5 pounds per month--overall, that's close enough, I guess, but the rate has slowed considerably.

I've never made it this far before, but I never used an app before, either. For nearly 7 months (I started the 3rd week of January) I have logged daily everything I eat or drink. Sure, I miss things occasionally. But it's the routine, I think, and the awareness, that is keeping it from getting out of hand as it has always done before.

I also thought I'd have to starve myself on a "diet," and that's not the case. If I want a cherry berry chiller, I can have one--but I find it better to buy a medium, at 260 calories, and drink half of it, and put the other half in the freezer for a frozen snack the next day, at 130 calories each.

And the "cheat day" is great. Stay under my allotted calories--the app tells me how much, based on age, weight, how much I want to lose per week, and exercise that day--for 6-9 days at a time, then have a cheat day where I go over the calories intentionally by 20% or more.

Here's how I have suffered--

* Blizzards. Even the smallest blizzards are like 670 calories. That's crazy. Gotta save that for a cheat day for sure.

* Overconsumption of desserts and snacks. I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I could--and have--eaten things like an entire "row" of Girl Scout thin mint cookies. Well, a "serving size" of thin mint cookies is 4 cookies--160 calories. So if I eat an entire row/bag, that's about 20 cookies, or about 800 calories. Yep, have done that before, and I'd say it was common for me to eat a half-bag of 400 calories.

Fig newtons? Same thing, or at least, half a row/bag. At 55 calories per fig newton, you eat two of them, and it's fine at 110 calories. But if you eat 6 of them, which I would do, that's 330 calories, or about what I try to have for breakfast or lunch. And that's a snack.

Beer? Well, I don't do that much anymore anyway, but those kind of calories I'm really watching now because it adds empty calories and slows metabolism.

That's almost it, besides the fact that I am walking, often at night late, and missing The Andy Griffith Show if I have not walked enough steps.

No secrets. Just increasing metabolism through activity (thanks to the pedometer), and being aware of calories consumed. Several here told me about the apps, and I avoided it for a long time before I finally jumped in with it. Should've done that a long time ago.

Then a couple here suggested the "cheat day," and how to do it. They also told me not to try to "starve myself," which I have done in the past with a very, very low calorie day, and why. Some good advice from people on this forum have helped me greatly.

My initial goal was 190. That's still more than I should weigh, but setting a goal of 44 pounds to lose was about all I could stomach (pun intended) without it being completely overwhelming. If/when I make it to 190....I will adjust and set a new goal.

One bite at a time. Just not as many of them as before. One step at a time. Just more of them than before.

Fab Five

Great job Darrell!

I can only wish to ever see numbers like that.

I have actually dropped about 15 pounds over the past few weeks and though I had a couple of bad meals this week, I have done more walking and am overall doing better on my diet than I had in the past.

I doubt I ever get to the 200 lb level, but hopefully I'll keep getting closer. (FYI, I'm 5'9" but don't want to reveal my weight right now, but it is not good.)
    Flounder, Congratulations! I have faith that you will get there. Keep working at it. you can do it!

Thanks Mick.

I am pleased with my effort so far. I lost about 2 pounds more in the last week and have drastically cut down on my fast old habits. I just need to keep up my efforts but with me feeling so good now, I think that is indeed possible

With the walking you are doing, you're not close to finishing losing weight, Flounder. Keep up the good work.

Sent using Forum Runner

Unforgettable

Good job Flounder, you and might be close in size and it is hard to lose. Take it off slow and steady. I lost 40 several years ago by walking 5 nights a week, cutting sweats...which for me s torture...cutting bread and potatoes and butter. I allowed myself 3 small new potatoes boiled once a week. Of course winter came and out went walking and gained 30 back over the years.

My problem now is the 3 ruptured disc in my low back. I walked a mile tonight and my back starts hurting and then my left leg. When I get back I am hurting so I ice my back.

But the challenge has been thrown down

UOTE=UKFlounder;101851]Thanks Mick.

I am pleased with my effort so far. I lost about 2 pounds more in the last week and have drastically cut down on my fast old habits. I just need to keep up my efforts but with me feeling so good now, I think that is indeed possible[/QUOTE]

Slow loss, but 199.0 this morning.

Sent using Forum Runner

I somehow gained 2 pounds last week, which is a bit puzzling, but it might make me pay more attention to what I eat. I know I had a couple bad meals last week, but enough to gain 2 pounds?

Oh well. It's a temporary setback and maybe I'll learn that an "occasional breakdown" is not good enough

I somehow gained 2 pounds last week, which is a bit puzzling, but it might make me pay more attention to what I eat. I know I had a couple bad meals last week, but enough to gain 2 pounds?

Oh well. It's a temporary setback and maybe I'll learn that an "occasional breakdown" is not good enough
    I have learned through far too many weigh-ins and with gentle advice from people who are more well versed in fitness than I am that your weight will naturally fluctuate, regardless of what you do. You just look for a downward progression over a long term.

Sent using Forum Runner

I did just start taking some medicine and last week was just the 2nd week I was on it, so I think my body may be adjusting to it. My scale this weekend seems to be showing better number, but I need not to check it so often that I become obsessed with it instead of the process.

I am happy with my efforts and am trying to work on keeping the right attitude evn if (when) I am not perfect. If I can stayositive, I will have a better shot of doing well

I'm still hanging around that 228 by just normal summer activities, but I feel like I need to start thinking about getting back to the 220 mark coming up on fall followed by the eating season.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

January 1, 2013 234.0. Ground 0.
    January 29, 2013 230.0. -4.0 lbs.
    February 1, 2013 228.2 -5.8 lbs.
    February 8, 2013: 225.2 -8.8 lbs.
    February 21, 2013: 223.8 -10.2 lbs.
    February 26, 2013: 221.4 -12.6 lbs.
    March 1, 2013: 220.8 -13.2 lbs.
    March 6, 2013: 220.0 -14.0 lbs.
    March 12, 2013: 217.6 -16.4 lbs.
    March 23, 2013: 219.0 - 15.0 lbs.
    April 4, 2013: 214.8 -19.2 lbs.
    April 5, 2013: 213.8 -20.2 lbs.
    April 16, 2013: 212.6 -21.4 lbs.
    April 19, 2013: 211.0 -23.0 lbs.
    May 1, 2013: 209.0 -25.0 lbs.
    May 24, 2013: 210.4 -23.6 lbs.
    June 3, 2013: 208.6 -25.4 lbs.
    June 12, 2013: 206.8 -27.2 lbs.
    June 22, 2013: 204.8 -29.2 lbs.
    July 11, 2013: 203.8 -30.2 lbs.
    July 20, 2013: 200.6 -33.4 lbs.
    August 10, 2013: 199.0 - 35.0 lbs.
    September 2, 2013: 199.4 - 34.6 lbs.
    September 7, 2013: 198.8 - 35.2 lbs.

EDIT: Wasn't going to weigh, but figured I would before I headed to Kentucky/Tennessee today. Glad it went back the right way. Really slow getting to 190, which is my first goal. I will reassess if/when I reach it (more needed, but that was my first goal.)
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 09-07-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Guess since I've got involved in the other exercise thread I should get involved in this one as well. Been pretty much running between 205-210 all year long. Have grossly failed at my year long goal. Thanksgiving weekend will be 30 year wedding anniversary. My goal was to be in best shape of my life this year (cardio, running, exercise wise). Couple of years ago 2010 got back down to 190 and was running/exercising pretty regularly and ran the 4th July 10K for 3rd time. 1st was 2003, 2nd 2008 and got better each time though not great by true runners standards. Last time was 57:?? so for a 50 year old I thought it was respectable.

Hope getting involved here will spur me on to step it up the rest of they year. Can't get where I'd hoped to but maybe back into the mid 190's and running/exercising regularly again. Haven't ran since vacation week early July. Have had a good last 2-3 weeks. Have dripped from around 210 a few weeks back to 205 today.

Unforgettable

Ash, sometimes we just need some challenges with motivation along with companionship. I envision walking with each here and trying to stay up with each of you.

5 years ago I lost 40# before my first granddaughter was born by watching how much I ate and walking 3 miles a nite 4 times a week. Got down to 223 with a bigger goal. Then winter set in. Deer season came. Quit walking and slowing went back up to 256 this summer. I am way over weight and would love to see 180 again. So far since we started the steps I have lost 13. Good start but long way to go

Didn't go back and read through all of this thread so don't know if there has been much discussion about diet plans, exercise, eating habits, etc... I suspect there are several on here who are in the 40+ age range. If you are in the 40+ age group there's a really good book I would recommend. "Younger Next Year". Gets pretty in depth about how important eating right is (not dieting) but changing your eating habits for the long term. Nothing earth shattering about that other than it backs up the reasons why you should cut way back on on starches and sugars. The other big thing it promotes is exercise. Says the older you get the more important exercise is. Recommends exercising at least 30-minutes a day 5 days a week.

Has followed this up with a new book called "Thinner This Year". I've just started reading it. Goes even deeper into the scientific's to back up it's recommendations. Just thought I'd through this out there for any one interested.

Good stuff

I just turned 40 this year.

Right now, I am down about 22 pounds since early June. It has abeen about the same for a week or so now, as I had a couple of bad meals last week & over Labor Day weekend, but the good news is today I am wearing another shirt that was too tight & uncomfortable for me the last time I tried it.

I really want to lose 3 more pounds soon to get the 2nd digit in my weight to a lower number. That will make me feel good.

I have been mostly eating better. I do well for lunch at work, but still have some issues at home occasionally, though I am eating much less and healthier than earlier in the year. I just wish these #@%@ pizza places would stop having such tempting sales. That's one weakness for me, though, again, in the past I sometimes I had a couple pizzas per week. Now if I have one, I feel disappointed, so I'm working on it.

Unforgettable

Flounder, that is great, doing this now at 40 will help you a ton. Don't wait like I have done until you are past 60, much harder to accomplish as it takes more work to get it off and less to put it on.
    I have found you can still eat what you want, just do it in moderation, have a piece of pizza each week, just not the whole thing. Saturday we had pizza for our employees, I stopped at two small pieces. The other thing is to keep up the exercise program, that not only gets the weight off or maintains your weight but the heart and lung benefits are wonderful.
    Nice to wear certain clothes again, I tried on a size down in some jeans this weekend and could button them. YES!!!! lol. I gave up a box of clothes today for a good cause, no sense tempting me in the future.

Good stuff

I just turned 40 this year.

Right now, I am down about 22 pounds since early June. It has abeen about the same for a week or so now, as I had a couple of bad meals last week & over Labor Day weekend, but the good news is today I am wearing another shirt that was too tight & uncomfortable for me the last time I tried it.

I really want to lose 3 more pounds soon to get the 2nd digit in my weight to a lower number. That will make me feel good.

I have been mostly eating better. I do well for lunch at work, but still have some issues at home occasionally, though I am eating much less and healthier than earlier in the year. I just wish these #@%@ pizza places would stop having such tempting sales. That's one weakness for me, though, again, in the past I sometimes I had a couple pizzas per week. Now if I have one, I feel disappointed, so I'm working on it.

I have had some good luck with portion control, though not this last week. Order a medium and only eating part of it instead of the whole thing or half of a large is something I have done.

Also, after I eat my first serving, I sometimes just put the rest in the refrigerator where it a bit out of site. Plus I don't like cold pizza a lot even if microwaves, so that sometimes works out just as well as throwing it away.

September 12, 2013: 197.2 - 36.8 lbs.

Unforgettable

Good job Darrell even though your steps are down you have lost another 2 #. I have lost 15 since first of July but I didnt really put my mind to it until first of Aug when Darrrell and Mick started with the pedometer. At a plateau right now for a few days then will drop a few more. Long way to go. I ate hunger pains and miss my ice cream

Reached a goal today - down 25 pounds (actually 25.5), and my weight dropped down enough to lower the middle digit down a level to one I had not seen for quite a while

Reached a goal today - down 25 pounds (actually 25.5), and my weight dropped down enough to lower the middle digit down a level to one I had not seen for quite a while
    Huge accomplishment, congratulations!

Sent using Forum Runner

You boys are doing great, I'm hanging at 228-226 without doing much including very little exercise just enough to keep me in decent cardio shape. As the summer winds down and my outdoor activities dwindle I'll add more exercise to keep me level through the eating season.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    Good job Darrell even though your steps are down you have lost another 2 #. I have lost 15 since first of July but I didnt really put my mind to it until first of Aug when Darrrell and Mick started with the pedometer. At a plateau right now for a few days then will drop a few more. Long way to go. I ate hunger pains and miss my ice cream
    Sherbet has 0 fat and is pretty low in calories, I think 1/4 cup is 120 calories, I know it's not a big-ole-bowl of your favorite Blue Bell flavor but it's a nice treat from time to time.

Novemer 12, 2013: 201.8 - 32.2 lbs.

Have gained 4.6 pounds in 2 months. Have been horribly sedentary; actually pleased that it is only at that. My steps are WAY down, usually under 5,000 steps for the day, and I have been hit-or-miss with food intake.

Back on the wagon. Not that down with this. Looking to hit 190 before 2014.

Weight Loss Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Novemer 12, 2013: 201.8 - 32.2 lbs.

Have gained 4.6 pounds in 2 months. Have been horribly sedentary; actually pleased that it is only at that. My steps are WAY down, usually under 5,000 steps for the day, and I have been hit-or-miss with food intake.

Back on the wagon. Not that down with this. Looking to hit 190 before 2014.
    September 12, 2013.