Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss Thread

Freshman

Re: Weight Loss Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    Darrell, you can lose a lot of weight by walking those 3 miles if you do it 5 days a week, and cut out or way back on potatoes, sugars, butter, bread, soft drinks. I did that 4 years ago this summer, walking every night and got up to 3.5 miles a night up and down hills. Lost 40 pounds. Unfortunately it got cold and I quit, put a few back on, then ruptured two discs in my back and it all went to pot and gained 30 back. But back trying to walk at night again, not every night as my back won't take it right now, but up to a mile when I go. Also cutting back on the things I mentioned. Not name diet, eat what I kinda want, but just not nearly as much. I had small new potatoes once a week just to wet that part of my appetite. Drinking lots o water now, maybe one coke a week, maybe. Sweet tea with splenda.

And Mick, you did run at the FF in the mornings while I was laid up sleeping in bed.

5'8" 245, down 10 pounds in the last month...cut those sugars and starches back
    D/Jazy,

I couldn't agree more with the consistency and the food advice. If the hour works for you, stick with it. 3-5 times a week. When you become comfortable with the routine, work on speeding up the pace - but stick with the schedule. You will be knocking out 5k runs in wellunder 30-40 minutes eventually. On the week days you don't walk, do something for muscular strength. Nothing intense, just concentrate on upper body one day and lower body the next. All the cardio in the world doesn't help much without lean muscle mass.

Stick with it!!!

IMHO, an ipod/iphone/ipad/tablet and music/movie on a treadmill are a distracting replacement for exercising outside. It works for me over the winter.

192 lbs, up 3 from the pre-holiday weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    August 13, 2012
    Weight: 229.2
    Goal: 210.0
    Pounds to go: 19.2
    Goal "deadline": December 31, 2012

Anybody want to join me?
    Well, I managed to gain 4.1 pounds, rather than lose 19.2.

Freshman

Well, I managed to gain 4.1 pounds, rather than lose 19.2.
    Better than gaining 19.2. At the least you acknowledge the goal and how near or far you are from meeting it.

OK, I'm in....again........embarrased to say but the truth is the truth.....I'm still 5'10 but my weigh in last week at the VA was 298.....2freaking98 yall....wtf has happened to me?????????????????????

It's alright, CG...you've got company, and we're in this together.

Let's do this thing.

Guys if you want a work out that is fun and WILL CHANGE YOUR APPERANCE. Try the video series tapout. My whole familey is doing it and you will see results. It is not easy at all, but it is well worth it.

Well I went from 193 to 158. The first 10 were intentional, a program to lose 20 in 2 months. (I lost eighteen but gained 8 back). I did it with south beach and 4X a week 45 minute 800 calorie treadmill mixed with instructor led group exercise 2X a week. Weekly weigh ins. I think you have to have put $ on the line and have constant reinforcement for fitness/fat loss.

The next 25 I can't recommend. I'm up from 158 to 166, all chubbiness I think, so I bought a barely used rowing machine from my wife's club. It uses water. The Docs won't allow me in the health club, too much Petri dish ideal sickness spreading moisture, sweat, heavy breathing, people, etc. I'm not able to stand the zero and below cold enough to run.

So I will report my daily use of the rower once a week for public mocking! Incentives!!!
    Last edited by bigsky; 01-04-2013 at 01:54 PM.

6'0, 233.4. Yech. Plus I'm still eating awful, and made a batch of crockpot chocolate last night.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

Amazing that eating badly and no exercise will make you continue to gain weiht.

Finished lunch. Backyard burger 1/3rd pounder, waffle fries, lemonade, and blackberry cobbler for dessert. The guy asked me if I wanted ice cream with the cobbler, but I told him I'm trying to lose weight. Tough to be disciplined.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Okay it starts today, 6'2" 238. I'm on the elliptical starting today/tomorrow and right after I eat these beef short ribs I cooked on the grill and drowned in BBQ sauce I'll start looking at what and when I eat.

I'll get back to you guys a week from Friday.
    This morning I weighed in at 236.8 which is promising. I have finally built up enough stamina and gotten my wind to go ten minutes on a gazelle with out fear of a heart attack, by the end of next week I should be in good enough shape to go 20-30 minutes at which point I will be burning calories.

I'll get back to you all next Friday
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I started crossfit. Its tough but I'm enjoying it. Its not so hard that its discouraging, but it does push you.

Pats Steak House didn't do me any favors last night in the weight loss department.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I watched The Music Man the other day, and was noting with interest Professor Harold Hill's "think system" for learning music. You know, you don't have to read music or anything other than think the notes.

I'm doing the same for diet and exercise. Eventually it may work.

I watched The Music Man the other day, and was noting with interest Professor Harold Hill's "think system" for learning music. You know, you don't have to read music or anything other than think the notes.

I'm doing the same for diet and exercise. Eventually it may work.

if thinking about diet and exercise worked I'd be invisible if i turned sideways.

180 lbs this morning down from 212 lbs on June 12, 2012. 6 lbs to go. I really recommend the MyFitnessPal App. It is addicting!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

This morning I weighed in at 236.8 which is promising. I have finally built up enough stamina and gotten my wind to go ten minutes on a gazelle with out fear of a heart attack, by the end of next week I should be in good enough shape to go 20-30 minutes at which point I will be burning calories.

I'll get back to you all next Friday
    235.4, I'm up to 25-30 minutes on the gazelle and I'm on it 5-6 days a week. I usually take Fridays, and Sundays off. Still haven't changed my eating habits "yet" for now concentrating on getting in shape (cardio)

See ya next week..

1/25/13
    Well here we are and with 35-40 minutes on the gazelle 5 days a week I'm at 233.8. Still haven't got around to dieting however I am more aware of what and how much I'm eating. For instance after busting my hump on the machine every evening I'm not going to blow it over a giant bowl of ice cream and some cookies, so I settle for maybe a small bowl of ice cream and no cookies or maybe three or four cookies and no ice cream. The hard part is not waking up in the middle of the night and eating a couple Lil Debbie zebra cakes and a glass of milk and going back to bed.

See ya next week.
    Last edited by blueboss; 01-25-2013 at 02:59 PM.

How's everyone else coming along??

Just downloaded new app that a friend showed me at practice this week, Lose It!

Easier to use, more likely I will use it. He showed me on his phone first, and it looked so simple I could do it, so I downloaded it. Have my weight input, my goal input, and a realistic 1.5 lbs per week loss input. It is designating my calories and exercise is additional if/when I do.

I know to "ramp up" the calories occasionally and keep the metabolism at a peak, thanks to this group, so I am pumped up about it. No weighing right now, but I will check in about a week, since I'm using this app.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRdallen View Post
    180 lbs this morning down from 212 lbs on June 12, 2012. 6 lbs to go. I really recommend the MyFitnessPal App. It is addicting!

Does it reach out and slap the potato chips out of your hand? That's the one I need. It should be called "stop eating you fat bastard".

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

How's everyone else coming along??
    Depends on if I'm trying to lose weight or get more chins than a Chinese phone book.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

176. Two pounds from goal.

A friend of mine is using Lose It and likes it. Any tool that helps you track overall calorie intake and calories burned in exercise is helpful. Good luck, D!

Just downloaded new app that a friend showed me at practice this week, Lose It!

Easier to use, more likely I will use it. He showed me on his phone first, and it looked so simple I could do it, so I downloaded it. Have my weight input, my goal input, and a realistic 1.5 lbs per week loss input. It is designating my calories and exercise is additional if/when I do.

I know to "ramp up" the calories occasionally and keep the metabolism at a peak, thanks to this group, so I am pumped up about it. No weighing right now, but I will check in about a week, since I'm using this app.

Not sure how "Lose it" is any different from myfitnesspal, except that it allows you to put in things like blood pressure as well.

Lose it was easy because he was standing next to me showing it. Easy sale that way!

Unforgettable

This restaurant tomorrow night better not be a healthy place.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRdallen View Post

Unforgettable

Deer season now over so Icahn start trying again. Fri nite at deer camp this weekend...16 oz ribeye along with new potatoes swimming in butter and about 1/2 pound of grilled shrimp followed by double stuffed Oreos. Honey bun for breakfast, then 6 wings for lunch, and fried speckled trout and fries for dinner and Oreos again. I could barely walk to my stand this weekend. LOL

it is going to be hard cutting back when weekends get here

Amazing that eating badly and no exercise will make you continue to gain weight.

230.0 this morning. Have to get my exercising started.

Finally got to step on scales this morning and I knew I'd lost weight but really didn't know what to expect. I figured it could be anywhere from 175 to 185. It was 185. I need to program the scales to measure BF% and water. I can be satisfied at 185 if I can manage the composition.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Originally Posted by Darrell KSR

Amazing that eating badly and no exercise will make you continue to gain weight.

230.0 this morning. Have to get my exercising started.

228.2. First full month of 2012, and lost 5.8 pounds, mostly due to calorie watching.

Question -- I know that it has been recommended to occasionally "ramp up" calorie intake as a jump start to the metabolism, or so that the body does not get used to the lower calorie intake as the "norm." (I probably explained that wrong, but I think the general principle is correct).

A friend of mine that had me install the app said that this "Cheat Day," as he called it, should be pretty regularly about once a week--but not for at least two weeks after I get started.

Is that decent advice? Today is Day 9 of being under my allotted calories every day (I probably should have gone for the more aggressive lose 2 pounds per week, but wimped out and went with 1.5 pounds, and tried to stay under). I'm in no rush to have a "Cheat Day," but I just want to do it right.

Darrell, it is good advice so long as you don't over-cheat. When I was a personal trainer I used to have my weigh-ins on Monday so it would be in the back of their minds during the weekend. Cheat days can benefit not only psychologically, but the body fights weight change so an easily perceived increase in calories will kick your metabolism up a bit. There's a diminished return though.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.