Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Weight Loss Thread

Gives me a chance to start over.

Unfortunately, I actually went up from where I was on the other board. So this is my fresh start.

If you feel uncomfortable posting your weight, don't post it, but just post what your goal may be, and progress toward your goal. I don't mind--I know I am too heavy and don't mind this group knowing, too.

I'm at 6'0, 229.2. That was August 13 when I weighed.

My goal is to lose 1-2 pounds a week through a little better eating, and consistent, moderate exercise. Right now, it's walking. Walked 3+ miles yesterday while my son was at soccer practice; will do the same tomorrow if I am off work by that time.

I want to get to 200, and then less, but an intermediate goal is 210 by the end of the year, so I'm going to go with that.

I'm on record.

August 13, 2012
    Weight: 229.2
    Goal: 210.0
    Pounds to go: 19.2
    Goal "deadline": December 31, 2012

Anybody want to join me?

Re: Weight Loss Thread

6'0" and 229 isn't bad, D, depending on how it's distributed. When I was in pretty good shape I weighed 180-182 and I'm 5'8". A lot of that was muscle, though. I've yet to weigh, but I've lost 6 inches around my waist. I noticed this morning while standing straight up my t-shirt didn't touch my stomach. I just need to firm up at this point.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

No, it's not well distributed at all. Flabby, poor. I would say really I need to weigh like 180, but let me take small steps first.

5'6" & 180 lbs on August 13

Shooting for 160. Now at 175.
    Follow me on Twitter @krcrider

I started at 6ft, 230 on 8/6/12. Last weigh in was 222 8/8/12. Goal is 200-205. That is very good shape for me. A few years ago I was 192 and 12% body fat! I don't think I can touch that anymore!

I'm not going to make any excuses from the thread down the street, but I pretty much gave up after cervical surgery in February. Being 6'2" and around 242 I had hoped to get to the 210-200 area from Jan.1 to May 1 needless to sat I didn't make it. I think I made it to 225 and that included loss of weight not eating during surgery/recovery.

So here we go I've been staying around the 235 mark, my goal for now is to maybe drop a few pounds but more importantly not gain any weight. I've got a six month checkup next week and the DR should give me the green light for whatever exercise I can make myself do. With bird season just two weeks from today that'll provide the opportunity to do some walking.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

You may not make excuses, blueboss, but those are legitimate reasons regardless.

Here are my excuses this week:

Cherry berry chillers (1 medium, 1 small. Hey, it is better than the 1 a day I was doing)
    Good portions of "first day of school" chocolate chip cookie cake
    Two ice cream cone things with chocolate
    Four peanut butter sandwiches
    Two double cheeseburgers

That's just what I can remember. I have to start a better regular eating regime. Mine is horrible; most days I eat poorly.

Ran into a friend at a high school reunion. Appeared slimmer than he did decades ago (unlike me). Asked him how he did it. Said he doesn't eat anything he doesn't cook himself. Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by akaukswoosh View Post
    Ran into a friend at a high school reunion. Appeared slimmer than he did decades ago (unlike me). Asked him how he did it. Said he doesn't eat anything he doesn't cook himself. Makes sense.

That's an excellent way to do it. Excellent.

I've got a high school reunion coming up in Lexington this fall. Way too many of my friends from those days look more or less just like they did in high school. Even my wife weighs within two or three pounds what she did when we got married in 1986. Not me.

I'm going to start one of those couch-to-5k programs seven days from today, after all the college move-ins are done. Starting at 6' 0", 235

Weight Watchers really worked well for me, but I have fallen off the wagon the last few months. I lost 2 pounds per week like clockwork (which is what they say you will lose if you follow the plan). I liked it because I could eat whatever I wanted, I just had to pick and choose on any given day. Their smart phone app made it really, really easy. I'm having to try a gluten free diet for a couple of months right now. Once I get that figured out, I'm starting WW again.
    I wouldn't pull for UofL if they were playing the Taliban.

6'3" Last November just after Thanksgiving weekend weighed 307. Now checking in at 239 and trying to get to 225. Have used weight watchers and an increased exercise schedule. Use the YMCA facilities 5 mornings a week at 5:30 AM and I am retired. Go early before I have a chance to talk myself out of going. Minimum exercise is 3 mile walk in less than 48 minutes. Attend cycling class three times a week and use elliptical for 30 minutes on days I do not walk. Also use the weight machines some as much as my arthritis will allow.

ED

I need to be in this thread....time of reckoning has come..

August 22, 2012
    Weight: 231.6
    Progress since August 13, 2012: Have gained 2.4 pounds
    Pounds to go: 21.6

Fab Five

Darrell, I'm trying. 4 years ago I was 5'9" and weighed 168. I was in great shape. I was running 5ks in about 25 minutes + or - few secs. I then had a stroke and went on prescription meds. I immediately gained 20 lbs and got up as high as 192. No diet seemed to get the pounds off. With a lot of anxiousness I started back running this summer 5 weeks ago. I could barely make 1k on our local cross country course. I'm up to 4k (finally) and am shooting to run a 5 k by September 15. I hope to make it in 40minutes but that may be a stretch. My weight is down to 185. Doctor was pleased with the progress 2 weeks ago. Goal is 170 by end of year. (What I wouldn't give for 160 which was my goal 4 years ago). I'm not sure I can get there, but will make a big push. 15 lbs to go. That's less than a pound a week. I can do that!

Mick, you're doing great!

Do you do the cross country over close to me? I'd be embarrassed to go out there myself as bad as I am, but it's a very pretty area to run. Right now I'm walking--seriously, only walking--for an hour at Chelsea Park while my son has soccer practice. I get 3 miles over some very hilly terrain, but it's only 2x a week, and I have to do a lot more.

You will get there. You've been there, done that, and will do it again. I talk the talk for years, and haven't walked the walk. I need a kick in the rear.

Fab Five

Well, Darrell come over to the Spain Park CC course and I will kick your rear. LOL! Seriously I love running the course. There is such variety in the terrain. You run through the meadow, then through the wetlands, around the lake, back through the meadow and then through the woods. The reason I am at the 4k mark is the hill at 4k on that course. It is straight up!. They have a bench on the side of the path halfway up and it is well placed. If I have to stop there one more time, I'm going to carve my initials in it.

I ran CC in HS and really loved it. We used to train at Seneca Park in Louisville. Now I watch all of the HS kids who run the course when I am running and think back to the good old days. The big difference today is all of the HS girls who are running. The only sports for girls back then were field hockey and half court basketball. All of these kids breeze past me as though I am standing there. It's a tough life lesson to know you are on the downhill side.

Unforgettable

Darrell, you can lose a lot of weight by walking those 3 miles if you do it 5 days a week, and cut out or way back on potatoes, sugars, butter, bread, soft drinks. I did that 4 years ago this summer, walking every night and got up to 3.5 miles a night up and down hills. Lost 40 pounds. Unfortunately it got cold and I quit, put a few back on, then ruptured two discs in my back and it all went to pot and gained 30 back. But back trying to walk at night again, not every night as my back won't take it right now, but up to a mile when I go. Also cutting back on the things I mentioned. Not name diet, eat what I kinda want, but just not nearly as much. I had small new potatoes once a week just to wet that part of my appetite. Drinking lots o water now, maybe one coke a week, maybe. Sweet tea with splenda.

And Mick, you did run at the FF in the mornings while I was laid up sleeping in bed.

5'8" 245, down 10 pounds in the last month...cut those sugars and starches back

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Mick, you're doing great!

Do you do the cross country over close to me? I'd be embarrassed to go out there myself as bad as I am, but it's a very pretty area to run. Right now I'm walking--seriously, only walking--for an hour at Chelsea Park while my son has soccer practice. I get 3 miles over some very hilly terrain, but it's only 2x a week, and I have to do a lot more.

You will get there. You've been there, done that, and will do it again. I talk the talk for years, and haven't walked the walk. I need a kick in the rear.

I did the first session of off and on running and walking yesterday evening. Not fun. Supposed to rest today, so I don't have to go through it again tonight!. I reckon it's worth it. You couldn't have told my 22 year old self that I would get into this shape!

Fab Five

August 29, 2012
    Weight: 184.2
    Goal: 170
    Pounds to go: 14.2
    Progress: Well, I dropped 8 tenths of a pound in a week. I have however taken in another notch on my belt and I have a lot more seat room in my khakis. I can grab a handful of baggy material. I'll take it for now. There's nothing better in life than to take your belt in another notch.

September 1, 2012
    Weight: 230.0
    Progress since August 13, 2012: Have gained 0.8 pounds (but lost 1.6 since Aug 22, yay)
    Pounds to go: 20.0

Better eating (other than one slip-up at a Jim-N-Nicks lunch, but didn't want to deprive myself that day), but almost no exercise.

I will get there.

Quote Originally Posted by dethbylt View Post
    55 pushups, 69 situps, and a 2 mile run in 15:25. It is the first time I have broken 16:00 minutes in ten years or so. I was gassed at the end though. I weighed in at 194 on official scales but I had been weighing in at 186-188 on unofficial scales. . The man is trying to keep me down. My goal is 185 by September 21st. Got to keep pushing!
    FANtastic, dethbylt. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    August 29, 2012
    Weight: 184.2
    Goal: 170
    Pounds to go: 14.2
    Progress: Well, I dropped 8 tenths of a pound in a week. I have however taken in another notch on my belt and I have a lot more seat room in my khakis. I can grab a handful of baggy material. I'll take it for now. There's nothing better in life than to take your belt in another notch.
    You looked like you had already lost it. But exercise will shape you up before the weight drops sometimes, I hear. Keep up the good work.

You're right, consistency is the key, and I haven't been able to get that done. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    Darrell, you can lose a lot of weight by walking those 3 miles if you do it 5 days a week, and cut out or way back on potatoes, sugars, butter, bread, soft drinks. I did that 4 years ago this summer, walking every night and got up to 3.5 miles a night up and down hills. Lost 40 pounds. Unfortunately it got cold and I quit, put a few back on, then ruptured two discs in my back and it all went to pot and gained 30 back. But back trying to walk at night again, not every night as my back won't take it right now, but up to a mile when I go. Also cutting back on the things I mentioned. Not name diet, eat what I kinda want, but just not nearly as much. I had small new potatoes once a week just to wet that part of my appetite. Drinking lots o water now, maybe one coke a week, maybe. Sweet tea with splenda.

And Mick, you did run at the FF in the mornings while I was laid up sleeping in bed.

5'8" 245, down 10 pounds in the last month...cut those sugars and starches back

Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
    I started at 6ft, 230 on 8/6/12. Last weigh in was 222 8/8/12. Goal is 200-205. That is very good shape for me. A few years ago I was 192 and 12% body fat! I don't think I can touch that anymore!
    I'll probably be more overweight with my body type than you, but your numbers are remarkably similar to mine on where you started. You're well ahead of me in progress, but headed toward the same general goal, so I'll try to keep up...or at least, manage to keep you in my sights.

Terrific! That's great, great work.

Quote Originally Posted by HCCATFAN View Post
    6'3" Last November just after Thanksgiving weekend weighed 307. Now checking in at 239 and trying to get to 225. Have used weight watchers and an increased exercise schedule. Use the YMCA facilities 5 mornings a week at 5:30 AM and I am retired. Go early before I have a chance to talk myself out of going. Minimum exercise is 3 mile walk in less than 48 minutes. Attend cycling class three times a week and use elliptical for 30 minutes on days I do not walk. Also use the weight machines some as much as my arthritis will allow.

ED

Good luck, elicat!

You guys are giving me a lot of support and incentive to do it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by elicat View Post
    I've got a high school reunion coming up in Lexington this fall. Way too many of my friends from those days look more or less just like they did in high school. Even my wife weighs within two or three pounds what she did when we got married in 1986. Not me.

I'm going to start one of those couch-to-5k programs seven days from today, after all the college move-ins are done. Starting at 6' 0", 235

Weighed in yesterday at 217.6. Been trying to exercise more, after a period of time off. I'll check my detailed numbers this weekend.

Unforgettable

not getting on the scales today, not after dinner last night. Fried crawclas for appetizer, redfish Anna which was big piece of redfish with lumpcrab ment on top, mashed potatoes, green beans, with a rich sauce over both, ceasar salad although I did ask to lighten up on the amount of dressing. Then stopped at a ice cream shop on the way home for a snappy turtle...yogurt, hot fudge, caramel sauce, nuts, whip cream, and a cheery on top...oh and there are 3 layers of the good stuff.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM good.

Most of you guys are starting where I've set my target goal. lol.

Got this email today, thought it humorous:

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans...

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.