Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Anybody know $$$ head cover gasket 2004 Passat

Anybody know $$$ head cover gasket 2004 Passat

I'm seeing some seepage from the head cover gasket and smelling oil burning from it dripping on the exhaust manifold. It's a 1.8L with turbo and I'm wondering what I'm looking at to get it replaced. I found the gasket on line for like 35.00 but I can't find anything that says what it might cost to have done.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Anybody know $$$ head cover gasket 2004 Passat

Found it, if anybody is interested on the small engine/turbo it's only about an hour of labor and the part is like I mentioned 30-35 bucks. I did find out there is a pulley tensioner located on the back side that the seals often times blow and leak oil and if that's the case it turns into a couple of more hours labor and more in parts. Bottom line: gasket - $100-$125, pulley tensioner - $250-$300
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

You might want to have someone check the PCV and the suction pump. If they are clogged or the pump fails, it allows additional pressure to build up in the crankcase and can cause oil to forced out past the cam shaft seals.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    You might want to have someone check the PCV and the suction pump. If they are clogged or the pump fails, it allows additional pressure to build up in the crankcase and can cause oil to forced out past the cam shaft seals.
    Well that doesn't sound good, what or how are those best checked? Whats a "PVC" and it's function in conjunction with the suction pump?

PCV is short for positive crankcase ventilation. They have been used on autos since back in the early 70s. Back then they did not have pumps associated with them, but gasoline engines back then did not use fuel injection, but instead they used carburetors to get fuel to the cylinders. Those engines had PCV valves that were placed between the top of the valve cover and the intake manifold. They would open when the engine heated up and they relieved the pressure build up in the valve train area and vented the gasses back into the engine via the intake manifold to be reburned.

I would not think a repair of that valve and the accompanying pump would run more than $50.00 for parts. I would have someone check them out before I pulled the head off the motor. jmho They may be fine but the the PCV valve generally only lasts 50,000 to 75,000 miles before clogging up but the pump is generally good for 100,000 miles. If they are bad, replace them. It may stop the oil seepage. If it does not then you have to move on to the other issues, but at least when the gasket repairs are done you will not have to worry about the PCV system for quite a while
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.