Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: UofL: 3-D Printer helps heart surgery

Bombino

UofL: 3-D Printer helps heart surgery

Gotta give props where props are due. Doctors at UofL are planning a life-saving hard surgery on a 14mo boy. Basically, the 2D images of this little boys heart are not sufficient to diagnose the problem so the operating team is getting conflicting information and what surgery needs to be performed. So they generate a 3-D model, load it into a modified MakerBot Replicator 2x and print out a model of the boys heart. The 3D Printer was modified to print using a flexible polymer similar to heart muscle. The surgeon said once he saw it in a 3D model he immediately knew what the problem was and how to fix it. Said he expects no need for repeat surgeries. REALLY badass use of technology to advance medicine. I can see this being VERY commonplace down the road.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ing-operation/

Re: UofL: 3-D Printer helps heart surgery

Better medicine through technology.

I love it. Reminds me of Grey's Anatomy and their 3D printer, at least on the couple of episodes I saw.

I definitely expect that to be a future common use of 3D printers. A way to get a model you can feel and touch that would help a doctor better understand and have a very good plan for a surgery. Very cool.

I'd like to get a 3D printer, did some rough research on them but need to learn a good bit more. I have some applications where one would be very useful.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Bombino

They are very much the future. They have benefits that will touch pretty much everyone in one form or another. It's like someone just invented the hammer. You don't need to own a hammer to see how it could affect your life by others owning one.