Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: New computer time

New computer time

Well, time to retire my 5 year old Dell. Vista isn't cutting it anymore (LOL). Was locking up when streaming etc... so I had it at my IT guy who said its "working" fine for what you got, virus clean just not enough of some techie talk stuff. So he is putting me together a machine. He is big on the solid state hard drives (256 something) and at least a "quad core" something or other. He also recommends Windows 7 over Windows 8. Matters none to me. Anything else I should request?
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Bombino

Re: New computer time

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Well, time to retire my 5 year old Dell. Vista isn't cutting it anymore (LOL). Was locking up when streaming etc... so I had it at my IT guy who said its "working" fine for what you got, virus clean just not enough of some techie talk stuff. So he is putting me together a machine. He is big on the solid state hard drives (256 something) and at least a "quad core" something or other. He also recommends Windows 7 over Windows 8. Matters none to me. Anything else I should request?
    He's right, a solid state hard drive is the biggest upgrade you can do.

I'm going to get into 7/8/8.1 debate. Other than to say, with 8.1 there VERY little difference between them.

If it's a desktop, get an IPS monitor they tend to have better color reproduction and have basically perfect viewing angles. I had a buddy of mine get two and he was amazed how he could read the monitors at any angle. I'm fact he has then rotated 90 degrees from standard because it's easier to read long documents and charts. I can recommend a few if you are interested.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Pedro do you still feel that way about SSD in a laptop? The only downside I suppose is the rewrite issue, not sure if that's been improved or not since the last time I looked.

I have to break down and get one, probably a refurb if I can find one.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Pedro do you still feel that way about SSD in a laptop? The only downside I suppose is the rewrite issue, not sure if that's been improved or not since the last time I looked.

I have to break down and get one, probably a refurb if I can find one.
    Sorry Chuck, missed this. The benefits in a laptop are even more so because of the lack of moving parts. Unfortunately, the rewrite issue is still there, if not made worse by the move to TLC NAND from SLC and MLC. This is being countered by improvements in DSP, wear leveling algorithms (both at the bare metal and in the OS), increased spare space, etc. In general, I think once around 512MB-1TB become normal. We are currently in what I would call phase 2 of improvements (phase 1 got speeds to the point the system becomes the bottleneck not the HDD). In this phase, densities will become closer and closer to what are normal sized spinning platter HDD. I think once the normal hits around 512MB-1TB you will see the industry shift to phase 3. Which will be where they start addressing the rewrite issue as for most people not running databases it isn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Sorry Chuck, missed this. The benefits in a laptop are even more so because of the lack of moving parts. Unfortunately, the rewrite issue is still there, if not made worse by the move to TLC NAND from SLC and MLC. This is being countered by improvements in DSP, wear leveling algorithms (both at the bare metal and in the OS), increased spare space, etc. In general, I think once around 512MB-1TB become normal. We are currently in what I would call phase 2 of improvements (phase 1 got speeds to the point the system becomes the bottleneck not the HDD). In this phase, densities will become closer and closer to what are normal sized spinning platter HDD. I think once the normal hits around 512MB-1TB you will see the industry shift to phase 3. Which will be where they start addressing the rewrite issue as for most people not running databases it isn't an issue.

Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Hehe...my thoughts exactly.

I'm glad other people figure this stuff out so we can do smart stuff and things..
    Last edited by kingcat; 02-22-2014 at 02:06 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I definitely love SSD in a laptop b/c of the solid state design, and of course the speed, it has always been the rewrite issue. I don't do a LOT of database on the laptop but some, probably not nearly enough to be a factor. The computer will give out before the rewrite issue catches up with me.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

OK, I'll pose the question here. Follow me on this and tell me where my issue is

I have comcast gateway wirless. Router/modum all in one provided by comcast. I have that in my son's room. The wireless works fine for all the computers, laptop, tablets, androids and Iphones. However my PC works sometimes to rarely. Sometimes it connects to the internet, sometimes not. When it won't hook up, none of the other computers, tablets, etc are affected. Also, the icon in the lower right hand corner says "access: local and internet" and I have 5 bars of signal strength. When I'm having issues my e-mail won't connect as well. Again, no other computers affected. Now when I take that computer that works part time to my IT guy, he says no viruses and when we connect to his wireless network it works fine. Connects without any delay, downloads e-mail, etc. The issue is only one computer and when its on my wireless network. I've called comcast NUMEROUS times (twice today). On Friday they had me reset the gateway to the factory resets so the Key password is something you can't remember and was told not to change that because (this is a quote)- they are not too smart and sometimes changing the password will make a computer unrecognizable. I've replaced the wireless adapter on Thursday thinking it was losing connection. I had my IT guy make sure the new adapter was set as the primary one. Today I was told I need to reload my operating system as that is where the problem was (like I have a copy of vista hanging around with the passcode). I've got a new PC coming to replace this one (it happens to be working at this hour but I expect it to boot me soon enough) but still want this one functional and internet capable because I have some old music software on it where I can download music tabs from the internet. The updated version of that software SUCKS, I much prefer the older version. This computer will be going into my man cave with my guitars but it needs to be able to function and download so I'm not just chunking the computer..I want it to work. Does not need to be fast or anything other than download some files off the net.

So, where is my issue?

And between the time I posted that and now, I've lost connection. Posting this from my tablet via wireless. Computer affected has blankscreen with the circle spinning in tab, 1/3 of the address bar is blue and stuck there. Does the same with Firefox, safari, Google chrome and internet explorer.

and now its back working, 3 minutes later. This is nonstop and I can't find anybody who can dx the issue let alone fix it.

Doc, my layman thought is that you have done an update on the computer, most likely to update to the newest Windows security files, updating firefox to the newest version, etc and something is not clicking properly in the OS. I would try restoring the PC to an earlier date and see if that fixes the problem. It often works for me when something goofy happens with my laptop. Just pick a restore point that has an earlier date than when the problem began.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I had been using Safari as my primary browser but when I took it in, the IT guy said web2kit (or something like that) was using all my CPU (or something) so he rec I go back to using firefox. I had an old version so he updated that. That was 3 days ago so its not an old version of my browser. As for the OP, this computer is about 5 yrs old (hence time to get new one) and runs Vista. I'm afraid to re-install, at least until after I get my new computer for fear of losing something off it (all the stuff from this computer will be moved to the new one), then I'll let the computer guy reload to see if it fixes it.

Doc, a system restore to an earlier date does not affect any of your files. The OS regularly creates restore points for you to use to recreate everything as it was a couple of days ago. Click start and type in restore point in the little box at the bottom of the window. Then click on restore system files and settings from a restore point and let the computer do it's thing. It recreates everything on your PC exactly as it was on the day the restore point was created. It even allows you to chose the restore point you want to use so you can chose one that was a few days ago if you want to, and that is what I would do.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I definitely love SSD in a laptop b/c of the solid state design, and of course the speed, it has always been the rewrite issue. I don't do a LOT of database on the laptop but some, probably not nearly enough to be a factor. The computer will give out before the rewrite issue catches up with me.
    Bumping this old topic because some new stuff recently has come out that is interestingly relevant for your CBBN. Recently, Samsung just launched a new form of NAND flash memory that they are using in their newest drives (Evo 850 Pro line). It is called V-Nand or 3D NAND and as the name implies it is 3D stacked NAND. Why is this relevant? Well up until now the only way to get more memory in a particular form factor was via die shrinks and storing more than one bit in a cell. The most recent die shrink (16nm) proved to be EXTREMELY difficult requiring a large number of tricks. 2D expansion is pretty much tapped out with our current technology. Well Samsung (plus several others) have decided to head in the third dimension stacking cells on top of each other vertically, this in and of itself is VERY difficult but more easily surmountable than dropping below 16nm. Why does this matter? Well samsungs V-Nand stacks THIRTY TWO cells on top of each other while at the same time relaxing back to the 40nm node. This means that you get MUCH higher reliabilty with similar or improved densities per IC. The reliability ratings on the new drives are easily double that of the previous technology, on top of that. Samsung has said that its more geared towards enterprise to keep them from using these drives as they lack battery backups and other necessary enterprise functions. Supposedly they will warranty higher than there listed 150TB limit and in fact their oldest drive is at 8PB (8000TB) without issue. So if you are truly worried about dataloss these drives (as well as others based on 3D-NAND technology) will be worth looking in to.

Oh yeah did I mention that performance is easily on par if not better than similarly priced drives? Cheers!

By the way, 150TB is writing 40GB of data a day EVERYDAY for over 10 years. So while it might not seem that large, its actually HUGE!

On a related note I just picked up a Crucial MX100 512GB drive for under $200. Gotta love the recent plummet in SSD prices.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 07-08-2014 at 10:36 PM.

I am about one week to 4 months away from replacing my laptop. Of course, I do not want to spend any money on it, but I am interested in the solid state drive etc. Cheap.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Old thread I didn't see in February, but I would recommend anyone install as much RAM as possible.

Funny thing is that I took that "VISTA" computer and put it in my newly created man cave (aka the U-Kave) and that is the computer I have streaming thru my 60 inch TV. Working just fine now. I didn't want to dump it because it has an old version of Guitar Pro on it which has all my down loaded music and the upgrades I never got suck. If I get a new computer for that room, I'd have to repurchase that program and it would be the newer version with the upgrades so I want to keep the older version. Real cool streaming that thru the big screen with the surround sound and me playing along on my 300 watt amp! My stadium seating came today and my custom UK/Rupp arena floor graphics to be put on the floor this weekend. Expect pictures next week. Now if I can just fine a miniture "big Bertha"
    Last edited by Doc; 07-09-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Funny thing is that I took that "VISTA" computer and put it in my newly created man cave (aka the U-Kave) and that is the computer I have streaming thru my 60 inch TV. Working just fine now. I didn't want to dump it because it has an old version of Guitar Pro on it which has all my down loaded music and the upgrades I never got suck. If I get a new computer for that room, I'd have to repurchase that program and it would be the newer version with the upgrades so I want to keep the older version. Real cool streaming that thru the big screen with the surround sound and me playing along on my 300 watt amp! My stadium seating came today and my custom UK/Rupp arena floor graphics to be put on the floor this weekend. Expect pictures next week. Now if I can just fine a miniture "big Bertha"
    We resurrected a Dell running Vista by upgrading it to Windows 7 and adding some RAM. Works great now.

Bombino

Truth be told, above 8Gb of RAM you see only marginal benefits in performance at this time (certain specific uses excluded). You would see a MUCH higher benefit switching any computer to an SSD than you would spending the money on memory upgrades or getting a new PC.

Truth be told, above 8Gb of RAM you see only marginal benefits in performance at this time (certain specific uses excluded). You would see a MUCH higher benefit switching any computer to an SSD than you would spending the money on memory upgrades or getting a new PC.
    8GB is well above what is provided in most off the shelf PCs these days. My work PC has just 1GB and suffers as a result. I'd like to get it bounced to 4GB this fall.