Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: How can weather apps all disagree this much?

How can weather apps all disagree this much?

Weatherunderground.com has tomorrow as high of 37, 20% chance of rain, wintry mix late

Weatherunderground phone app has 100% chance of snow tomorrow, high of 39, wintry mix late

NOAA app (just found it) has 80% chance of rain, mostly after 4pm, high 35, wintry mix late

Accuweather basically agrees with NOAA

weather.com has 100% chance of rain tomorrow, high 37

So it's either 100% chance of snow, 100% chance of rain, 80% chance of rain, or 20% chance of rain. lol.

I know what's going on, timing differences and such, but seriously all of these results depending on which site you check? All the forecasts basically come out of NOAA don't they?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

People ridiculed Birmingham and Atlanta, but there really are a lot of moving parts to this kind of stuff that lead to that kind of disparity. And many, many models.

James Spann (the local rock star weatherman) does a great job of discussing different models and which in a given situation he thinks is more accurate and why. Dan could understand it and explain it in detail, I'm sure. I understand why there is uncertainty, but have no clue why.

via mobile app

Re: How can weather apps all disagree this much?

I get there's a lot of uncertainty in the weather, but are they using different prediction sources and models or is it just sloppy translation of what NOAA says?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I get there's a lot of uncertainty in the weather, but are they using different prediction sources and models or is it just sloppy translation of what NOAA says?
    I assume different models, or at least, different interpretations of given models.

via mobile app

I have no idea why the WU mobile and regular version are different. You do know that WU is owned by TWC now? Everyone is a forecaster these days, as all the models and model ensembles are available to the public in real time.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Didn't know TWC owned them, can't say I'm surprised. For a while I found their website unusable b/c of the ad volume. It was SOOOO slow to load. Wundermap has some nice features, also some dumb ones. the

NOAA free app I love for the basic forecast, but the radar is limited. Just shows the local radar (out of Jackson I guess in our case here), no regional etc. maps. That's OK for the most part. I keep both on the phone.

Bombino

Just gonna leave this here:

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk