Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Camera lens suggestion

Camera lens suggestion

this one? Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

or this one? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

For wildlife and landscapes.

Re: Camera lens suggestion

The 70-200 f-4 IS is honestly the 2nd best lens ever made by Canon in the tele category only to be slightly eclipsed by the 70-200 f2.8 IS mkII. The next best in their lineup is the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L USM IS.

There is a new Tamron lens, the 150-600mm VC USD lens, which has image stabilization (VC) that is getting rave reviews.

If I needed the extended focal length the 100-400 or the 150-600 would be what I would look at. If not, then the 70-200 f4.0 IS is the best bang for the buck. I have one and would never trade it for any other lens. It is light, well built and truly magical with it's ability to render light and color perfectly. It focuses so fast, you do not hardly see it happening.

I have never handled one, but the Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM has never been highly thought of by the members of the following forum.

Here is a link to a Canon forum that, if you have not already found it, is worth it's weight in gold for photographers like me that still want to learn from some of the worlds best professional and amateur shutter bugs.

If you register to become a member, it is free, you will have access to the buy and sell forums. You have to make 30 posts before you can buy or sell anything, but it is worth that time to be able to have access to the deals. I have bought and sold there some and the transactions have been excellent. You can probably get the 70-200 f4 IS in pristine condition for about 800.00 bucks. It fell out of favor with the gear heads that have to have the latest and greatest when Canon came out with the 70-200 f2.8 IS mkII, and are selling their other lenses in the same category to fund the next purchase of the latest and greatest

Photography on the Net

Sorry if that is a heck of a lot more than you wanted to know from me.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Thanks so much Dan. The more info the better. I'm ticked at wife right now so trying to talk myself off the ledge to buy the 70-200 2.8

Also, I've heard of the new Tamron 150-600... I may have to look that one up.
    Last edited by CGWildcat; 01-15-2014 at 08:19 PM.

I'll second the idea of using Canon's Photogrphy on the Net. Great website. BTW Sigma has a 70-200 2.8 with image stabilization for about what you'd pay for the Canon 70-200 4.0. I've seen pretty good reviews for it.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Thanks Badrose. I've been perusing the website since Dan linked it I've tried Sigma and wasn't too much a fan.

Here's a link to the product. You might want to research a comparison study. http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/ap...8-ex-dg-os-hsm

I'm looking hard at this for my next purchase: http://www.digitalrev.com/product/ta...FU5o7AodgwMAzw

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    I'll second the idea of using Canon's Photogrphy on the Net. Great website. BTW Sigma has a 70-200 2.8 with image stabilization for about what you'd pay for the Canon 70-200 4.0. I've seen pretty good reviews for it.
    I have been lugging that beast around for a year now. Excellent lens but it feels twice as heavy as the 70-200 f4 IS, but in lower light situations it allows for better shutter speeds or a little lower ISO to get the shot.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Thanks for those links guys. There is so much to choose from. Looking around more last night, I'm impressed by the canon 15-85mm http://www.amazon.com/Canon-15-85mm-.../dp/B002NEGTTM as a walk around lens. I had a local camera shop guy tell me that Tamron builds their Canon mounts to Canon specifics. Where Sigma builds their own. Any truth to that ?? I currently shoot with the Tamron 18-270, which is okay but gets grainy at the 250-70 range.

The sigma I had was terrible for lens creap. Every 2 seconds that thing was slipping down. I returned it. Thats why I'm leary of anything sigma at this point. That Tamron 150-600mm wow! I MAY have to pull the trigger on that eventually.