Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: True Detectives

Re: True Detectives

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    One other thing: since neither Marty or Cohle were actual police anymore, and because of how the situation ended, I can easily see some overzealous federal prosecutor trying to make a name for himself in the aftermath of what happened. Just my take on it.
    You mean going after them or cleaning up the scraps?
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

OK, you guys--I finally relented. I downloaded the first season to my phone (thanks, DroidTV). Haven't watched any episodes yet, but if college basketball postseason doesn't go well, I may have a few hours of TV to watch thanks to this thread.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    You mean going after them or cleaning up the scraps?
    I mean as in going after them for an alleged civil rights voilation. And in today's environment, I could see it happening.
    MOLON LABE!

I mean as in going after them for an alleged civil rights violation. And in today's environment, I could see it happening.
    I thought so. I could see it if not for the shoddy work done on the case throughout by the higher ups, and the stonewalling... Could happen but it would risk exposing the guy at the top of that pyramid.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    OK, you guys--I finally relented. I downloaded the first season to my phone (thanks, DroidTV). Haven't watched any episodes yet, but if college basketball postseason doesn't go well, I may have a few hours of TV to watch thanks to this thread.
    I hope your phone has good sound. The dialect can be a bit slurry.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    I hope your phone has good sound. The dialect can be a bit slurry.
    Yep, it's great sound.
    (Edit... I listen through headphones).
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 03-10-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Watched the first two episodes last night. I'm probably an oddball, but it drags too much for my taste. The actors are two of my favorites, though.

via mobile app

Rupp's Runt

Darrell, the first 3 or 4 episodes DO drag just a little bit. Patience, my friend. Along about the end of episode 4 the pace picks up considerably. And it will be well worth it when you get there.
    MOLON LABE!

Thanks, suncat. I still like it even with the pace being what it is for the first couple. I like the interview portion, but I think that's my main sticking point early; just a little too much of it. I'm sure they're trying to completely set up the characters, etc. with it, which I get, too.

I will try to watch another show tonight.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Nothing drags on that girl in espisode 2. Had to go there...

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Watched the first two episodes last night. I'm probably an oddball, but it drags too much for my taste. The actors are two of my favorites, though.

via mobile app

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Stabbed? Wow. That is intense.

What stood out to me is that the groundskeeper, as in life, is the bad guy and he is one of the first people that the police interview.

But reality doesn't have forboding music or stylistic cutaways that move from "where can we find our guy" to a figure turning and hamming it up for the camera.

I really enjoyed the show. Very entertaining.

Quite an ending, wasn't it? I had a feeling about that groundskeeper guy the first time I saw him, and it was reinforced when the 2nd team of detectives stopped to get directions from him. The scenes inside that hidden fortress, or church, or whatever that old building was, was pretty intense too.
    This was just a very well done show. Way out of the ordinary, at least to me.
    And as it turned out, once they figured out that more crimes were happening after they killed Reggie Ledeux, they approached like it needed to be done.
    I also read an article with the producer Nick Pizzalato (sp?) where he says this story is loosely based on an actual incident in Louisiana in a church where the actual pastor and some members of his church turned to devil worshipping, although there was no human sacrificing involved, just animals.
    One other thing: I hate knives! I have been stabbed once, and cut another time. I hate knives! If I even think a knife might be in play, out comes Mr. H&K. And if you're within that magic 21 feet mark as prescribed in the Use-of-Force Matrix, shame on you, you're fixin' to feel the pain.
    Did I mention that I hate knives? Just sayin'............

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    Nothing drags on that girl in espisode 2. Had to go there...
    I didn't say it didn't have some socially redeeming qualities of the highest order...

In my opinion these great HBO shows are more about the journey then the ending. While I liked the ending of True Detective (almost pooped my pants watching Rust run through the house) I loved the characters I met. Think of the strippers, the New Orleans prostitute, the interrogation room scenes, snipers, Uncle Bob, Marty's girlfriends, the fights, the riot, the list goes on and on and on. TV at it's best.

Getting better. 4th episode had less of the interviews. The day to day process is far more interesting.

via mobile app

Rupp's Runt

So have you watched episode 5 yet?
    MOLON LABE!

I did last night, 11:30pm-12:30am. Very, very good. The interviews have lessened to the point of "just right," and I've enjoyed the rest of it from the 1st episode. Now it's just the right mix, and I love the actors.

Bombino

A review of True Detectives by none other than Kareem Abdul-Jabaar:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kareem...b_4985514.html

Surprisingly, unlike most celeb reviews, it doesn't suck. Pretty thoughtful and nuanced.

I think Kareem is a pretty intelligent guy.

Insomnia hit, so I watched the final 4 episodes last night. Boy, it really got good after what I thought was a slow start in the first two shows.

Glad you guys made me watch.

via mobile app