Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to eat: Elitism at its finest

Re: What to eat: Elitism at its finest

But if this was a homeschooling thread then I'd say some families are unable or unwilling to homeschool. Both my wife and myself work. We work and pay taxes on what we earn which in part goes to local govt to educate our kids. We're there no county schools we wold send them to private schools but as of now my tax dollars are paying to educate them. Much of the funds are misdirected into feeding programs, unfortunately.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Have I told my boiled cabbage story before?
    If you've told it, I didn't hear it Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by DanISSELisdaman View Post
    If you've told it, I didn't hear it Dan.
    Thanks for raising your hand.

Any male that grew up in rural KY made money in the summer during school break doing day labor on local farms. I was the youngest on a local crew that hired out to haul in hay for local farmers. One such job I had is pertinent to this thread. Butch picked me up one morning along with other members of the crew and we went to the job. We hauled, stacked, unloaded and re-stacked the bales all morning until the farmer called timeout for lunch. It was typical of the time for the wife of the farmer to prepare lunch for her husband and the hay crew. The farmer and his wife were an older couple, probably in their early 60s. These meals were looked on as a bonus for the crew and were generally terrific meals.

We washed up and sat down at the table. The wife brings in a huge platter of cornbread, home churned butter, a huge bowl of boiled cabbage and another huge bowl of brown beans. She said, boys eat up there is plenty more where that came from and went back to the kitchen. I kept waiting for her to come back from the kitchen with some meat, potatoes, corn, green beans, etc. Never happened.

My Mother was a great cook, but she grew up in the north, and to my knowledge had never cooked boiled cabbage, brown beans, or corn bread for us at home. I was used to white beans, green beans, peas, limas, boiled and creamed corn, potatoes, carrots, spinach, etc along with some meat and biscuits or sourdough bread.

Folks I was hungry, real hungry, but the only thing I ate that day was the cornbread and butter. We worked in the hay field the rest of the day, and went home late afternoon. We had another day's work the following day and had all the baled hay in the barn before we left.

I asked Mom to pack a lunch for me for the next day as I had no idea what to expect for a meal the following day. Now I am sure many of you wouldn't think anything odd about a meal of boiled cabbage, brown beans, and cornbread as you ate that growing up, but this ole boy took 2 bologna sandwiches on sourdough, a banana and an apple to the field the next day.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Jazy, you're missing out--hummus is delicious. It's my 13-year old daughter's favorite food.

It doesn't taste anything like it, but for us oldtimers that used to eat this growing up, it reminds me of potted meat. Just more flavorful, and obviously healthier.

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    No way I eat Hummus, I don't even like the sound of it.

Dan, great story. I will say it was almost unheard of to not have a meat in any meal served at home, though one could argue there was more than enough in the veggies. Country ham is required in all string beans and is well thought of in limas, brussel sprouts, cabbage, salads, pretty much everything but homemade peach ice cream.

Darrell - I make a very good hummus, gets raves. My niece loves it but most of my family is strictly meat and potatoes.

This is yet another "ends justify the means" problem of government. We want kids to eat healthy, we all agree, but for the left that means it's OK to tell local communities what they can and can't do with their school, tell parents what they can and cannot feed their kids, and even what qualifies as healthy and not, all from the Forbidden Palace we refer to as the District of Columbia.

Even if it worked it's not justified, the price we pay in losing local decisions and parental decisions is too high, but of course since it came from the Forbidden Palace, where the rulers have little understanding of the real world, it will also fail miserably.

So yet another lose lose scenario of government intervention in the most basic principles of individualism. We move further down the road of acceptance that the state has infinite power and further add to the bureaucracy that is in the end only making the whole system worse.

I cannot believe we're down to regulating which perfectly safe foods we can and can't eat. Even Orwell and Bradbury didn't imagine such an outrageous use of the power of the state. the pigs weren't allowed to eat meat or drink alcohol but that wasn't about food but about coming to emulate the original oppressor.

Unforgettable

Darrell, I didn't eat potted meat, plants are to be potted, not meat. I eat real meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Jazy, you're missing out--hummus is delicious. It's my 13-year old daughter's favorite food.

It doesn't taste anything like it, but for us oldtimers that used to eat this growing up, it reminds me of potted meat. Just more flavorful, and obviously healthier.

Now how can you go camping or get a Redneck Membership Card without at least eating Vienna sausages or Spam? lol.

Unforgettable

hot dogs on a stick or potato chips.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Now how can you go camping or get a Redneck Membership Card without at least eating Vienna sausages or Spam? lol.

hot dogs on a stick or potato chips.
    I dunno Jazy. That might get you a Good 'Ol Boy card, but I think a Redneck Card requires at least something out of a can. How about Hormel chili? Cheez Whiz? Trying to work with ya here.

I dunno Jazy. That might get you a Good 'Ol Boy card, but I think a Redneck Card requires at least something out of a can. How about Hormel chili? Cheez Whiz? Trying to work with ya here.
    LMAO REAL rednecks buy the Walmart brand...youre too rich to buy name brands...you need to turn in your Redneck Card yourself

There wasn't a Wal Mart when I got my card. I'm grandfathered.

Unforgettable

I ate some of that crap when I was working as a deckhand on the river in the summers while in college.
    Kinda like our deer camp now, we have a 37" HD tv, directv satellite, air condition, and our usual menu is grilled chicken on Fri nite and steak on Sat night. We have had beer tips over rice, blackened redfish, fried catfish, pork tenderloin, for breakfast eggs and bacon, or deer sausage cooked on the grill with toast. lunch is usually grilled burgers, then a nice nap while watching football before we lumber off to a stand, usually late getting there.

I ate some of that crap when I was working as a deckhand on the river in the summers while in college.
    Kinda like our deer camp now, we have a 37" HD tv, directv satellite, air condition, and our usual menu is grilled chicken on Fri nite and steak on Sat night. We have had beer tips over rice, blackened redfish, fried catfish, pork tenderloin, for breakfast eggs and bacon, or deer sausage cooked on the grill with toast. lunch is usually grilled burgers, then a nice nap while watching football before we lumber off to a stand, usually late getting there.
    Who do you hunt with, the guys from Queer Eye?

Pu***.

Unforgettable

LOL

We just like to eat good, it is why we gain about 15# during hunting season, get great naps, get away from the wives and pressure.

Who do you hunt with, the guys from Queer Eye?

Pu***.

Unforgettable

I have to aske though, what the heck is humus, I looked it up and somehow it didn't sound good.

Hummus, not to be confused with Hagus, is a mash made of chickpeas (garbonzo beans) with garlic, oil-usually olive oil, and other spices. Its basically a spread that is put on some type of bread or cracker. To me it tastes like sand.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

get great naps, get away from the wives and pressure.
    You had me at this part. When do I come down?

I have to aske though, what the heck is humus, I looked it up and somehow it didn't sound good.
    Doc listed the basics. Mashed chickpeas, which are a near staple of the north African diet, with olive oil. You then add garlic and traditionally sesame paste and salt. I use Asian sesame oil b/c it's a bit richer flavor (it's roasted) and also b/c it keeps forever and I always have it in stock for asian cooking as opposed to real sesame paste.

I like it, my niece loves it, but it is something that can be tasteless if it's not prepared right.

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I love the "Congress doesn't need to intervene" part. So Congress needs to not interfere in their interference.

To borrow a phrase, I do not think that word means what these conceited nutrition Nazis think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Hummus, not to be confused with Hagus, is a mash made of chickpeas (garbonzo beans) with garlic, oil-usually olive oil, and other spices. Its basically a spread that is put on some type of bread or cracker. To me it tastes like sand.
    THANK YOU DOC!!! I was beginning to think I was the only person on earth who did not like hummus. I have tried to like it. I have eaten 25 different types - and all I think is -YUCK!

Funny Hummus story. (At least it was funny to me). I worked with a resident physician who was - how shall I put it - not the nicest person. She had a horrible attitude and basically made life terrible for anyone caught in her wake. She ate hummus with every meal. We were having a party for soemone at work and made a pot luck list for people to sign up to bring things. Since I had the prettiest writing - I always made the signs. This party was called "Angie's Hummus Free Party - No Hummus Allowed"
    All the staff who had dealt with this person thought it was hilarious. I never found out if she ate at our party - but no matter - No Hummus was served. After she left the program - hummus was back on the menu.

Oh, man...you guys don't know what you're missing. My 13-year old daughter and I had some pita chips and hummus tonight. It's delicious!

Fiddlin' Five

Darrell, I didn't eat potted meat, plants are to be potted, not meat. I eat real meat.
    Come on Skip, taste just like chicken, or some kind of chicken.

Unforgettable

I don't eat chicken butts either

Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
    Come on Skip, taste just like chicken, or some kind of chicken.

It's like potted meat; just flavorful.

Man, as a kid potted meat and vienna sausages were staples. You guys missed out if you didn't eat those.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 12-21-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Man, as a kid potted meat and vienna sausages were staples. You guys missed out if you didn't eat those.
    Come on, Jazy doesn't leave for a hunting trip without his fine china and and a nice brie wheel and his quiche pan.

Ate many Vienna sausages as a kid as well as potted meat.Camping staples.

Jamie Oliver

How many think Michelle eats that stuff? Thought so.YOu can have healthy lunch'es but do it in a way the kids like the food. I can't remember his name, but the british chef that had the show where he goes into school districts and tries to revive the menus, he does it with fresh food that taste good. No way I eat Hummus, I don't even like the sound of it.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Heck, Vienna Sausages and crackers or Deviled Ham and crackers are still a part of my lunch menu.
    Get tired of McD's or something else in a sack; I love the stuff.

One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Come on, Jazy doesn't leave for a hunting trip without his fine china and and a nice brie wheel and his quiche pan.

Ate many Vienna sausages as a kid as well as potted meat.Camping staples.
    I haven't hunted in two decades, but reading his weekend makes me want to go just for the TV, eats and sleep. Man, that's living.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    Heck, Vienna Sausages and crackers or Deviled Ham and crackers are still a part of my lunch menu.
    Get tired of McD's or something else in a sack; I love the stuff.
    More tasty than 90% of fast food.