Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Standing in line at Office Depot...Pet Peeve # 1,744

Standing in line at Office Depot...Pet Peeve # 1,744

Actually, a combination of many pet peeves.

Pet Peeve # 1. Lady with a large buggy full of merchandise plods ahead of me in the checkout line. OK, so she was ahead. But she could have looked back, and saw the pack of 4 G2 pens I was picking up, and two reams of 300-sheet paper ($1 each, at the checkout stand, and didn't even have that til in line), and know that I was going to be quick. But she plodded ahead.

Pet Peeve # 2. The store manager walks over and he's inputting something in that radar gun device they have. There are 4 checkout registers. Only one is occupied. Meanwhile, 2 more people line up behind me while Plodding Purchaser checks out.

Pet Peeve # 3. Plodding Purchaser waits while they are ringing up merchandise before putting merchandise on the table to be checked out. It appeared to be just an afterthought. I've seen purchasers before wait for totals and subtotals to see if they can afford it, but that wasn't the case here.

Pet Peeve # 4. Finished checking out--finally--and the checkout clerk tells her the total. Plodding Purchaser then pulls out her smartphone, and begins some search. She tells the lady she has a coupon code.

Pet Peeve # 5. She finally locates the coupon code, and hands the smartphone to the clerk. She enters it, and tells the lady that it does not work, because it does not apply to technology items (and other things). Plodding purchaser assures her that she bought no technology items, and a debate ensues as to whether flash drives, SD cards, batteries and such are "technology" or not.

Pet Peeve # 6. The manager is called over--same one who was playing with the radar gun. I see him, as he has moved from right next to the checkout aisles to the corner of the store. He persists in concluding a conversation before he moseys over to see what the issue is. In the meantime, Plodding Purchaser says, "Oh, wait--I had another coupon code anyway." She then begins search # 2 on her smartphone.

Pet Peeve # 7. By the time manager arrives, Plodding Purchaser has located the coupon code, given it to the clerk, and it works. Manager interrupts and clerk tells him, "nevermind. She found another one." So he asks what was wrong with the first one (as if that has any relevance to Plodding Purchaser anymore, the clerk, or the other 3 people still waiting in line.) A short (thankfully) discussion ensues, and an even shorter debate about what "technology" is mercifully dies.

Pet Peeve # 8. The discount is applied, and a new total is given to Plodding Purchaser. I swear to Jiminy Cricket, the lady acts shocked that at some point, you are asked to actually pay for the merchandise you selected. She fumbles around, finds her purse--buried under the merchandise, in the shopping cart, of all places, unzips it, and begins to pull out cash. No, thankfully, we avoided normal "pet peeve" of the customer writing a check, which I had all but knew she was going to do. Anyway, she peels out eight $20 bills, and gets her change.

Pet Peeve # 9. Plodding Purchaser has now paid for her items, received her change, and I am up next. So all is right in the world, right? Wrong, grasshopper. Now Plodding Purchaser refuses to move. I kid you not. She stands there with her shopping cart full, her change in her hand, and her pocketbook on her arm, and doesn't move. She appears befuddled with the idea of putting the change away, but eventually does so. Then she pushes the cart about 4 feet, and turns it sideways, while she checks the sales receipt. In the meantime, I manage to check out, grab my bag, and deftly avoid the shopping cart as she wheels it again, turning around, I suppose, to engage in another coupon code discussion with the clerk.

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to be more patient and serene about things. I do a "fair" job with that, but I'd like to do a "great" job with that.

I lasted 6 days.

Happy New Year.

Rupp's Runt

Re: Standing in line at Office Depot...Pet Peeve # 1,744

Since I separated from the U.S. Army, I REFUSE to stand in any line, anywhere, at any time. Especially in/at a restaurant. Not. Gonna. Happen. That's one of the reasons I don't go into WallyWorld anymore during peak hours. Or any grocery store.
    Customer service here in the U.S. has gone to hell in a hand basket. However, whenever the Boss and I go shopping when we're visiting the Philippines, we never have to wait in a line, anywhere we go. Customer service is still a high priority to businesses there, unlike here. Restaurants too.
    MOLON LABE!

This just in:

A Birmingham woman was found in an Office Depot parking lot next to a full shopping cart of merchandise including her purse, and smart phone, the coroner said it appeared she'd been run over three times, the Birmingham police are puzzled since her purse, smart phone, and merchandise were untouched, and they are still trying to determine the motive. If anyone has any information regarding this they're asked to call the Birmingham Police Department.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I'd say you took it very well. I'd have told the manager to open another register b/c I was tired of waiting on the human cholesterol that was clogging up the system.

I used to not be that way, but I don't suffer fools well any more. People who can't check out efficiently at a retail store when it is the same operation every time in every store are fools.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    This just in:

A Birmingham woman was found in an Office Depot parking lot next to a full shopping cart of merchandise including her purse, and smart phone, the coroner said it appeared she'd been run over three times, the Birmingham police are puzzled since her purse, smart phone, and merchandise were untouched, and they are still trying to determine the motive. If anyone has any information regarding this they're asked to call the Birmingham Police Department.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    This just in:

There's really no reason to repeat that gossip....we need to delete this from the board so nobody sees...I mean, get back on topic.

Good think they don't sell beer and shotgun shells there.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I feel for ya, Darrell. No matter where you go anymore, there's always a Plodding Purchaser watching and waiting to jump in front of you. I can hardly stand to go to the grocery anymore. I had some very bad thoughts go through my head the last time I was at Kroger when some P.P. refused to move from in front of the soup even after I politely said 'Scuse me'. Every time I went left, she went the same way. When I faked one direction and went the other, she was on to me. Finally I feigned disinterest and she lost focus, allowing me to nab a can of cream of mushroom. It wasn't the chicken and stars on the list, but I had to get to the next aisle before she beat me to it.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

1 of my resolutions is patience, too, and you were a lot more patient than I would've been, Darrell.

We're taking my son to Orlando next week to get him started in the Disney College Program, and Mrs. BEvans and I will visit the parks for a few days while he's in training. I already know I'm going to encounter a lot of people like Plodding Purchaser down there. My favorites are:

--the guests at the turnstile who can't get their admission media to work, are told to go to Guest Relations and instead hold up the line and keep trying to make it work;

--the people you're walking behind down Main Street USA who stop suddenly and unfurl their park map, nearly cracking you upside the head in the process;

--the people who stand in line at the restaurant and have 5 minutes to look at the overhead menu, but wait until they get to the register to look up and then have a family conference on what the 7 of them are going to order;

--the same people who, after having their family conference and deciding what to order, have to have another family conference about how to pay for it;

--the people who wait until 1 minute before the parade, then decide to push their way through 6 layers of people who got there 30 minutes earlier to get a good view--then plop their kid on their shoulders;

--Etc.

Last edited by KSRBEvans; 01-07-2014 at 09:04 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

The list could go on and on. That's not to say that some companies and their employees couldn't do a better job but customers continue to get more rude with a greater sense of entitlement. For many retail workers it can become unbearable, especially during the holidays.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    1 of my resolutions is patience, too, and you were a lot more patient than I would've been, Darrell.

We're taking my son to Orlando next week to get him started in the Disney College Program, and Mrs. BEvans and I will visit the parks for a few days while he's in training. I already know I'm going to encounter a lot of people like Plodding Purchaser down there. My favorites are:

--the guests at the turnstile who can't get their admission media to work, are told to go to Guest Relations and instead hold up the line and keep trying to make it work;

--the people you're walking behind down Main Street USA who stop suddenly and unfurl their park map, nearly cracking you upside the head in the process;

--the people who stand in line at the restaurant and have 5 minutes to look at the overhead menu, but wait until they get to the register to look up and then have a family conference on what the 7 of them are going to order;

--the same people who, after having their family conference and deciding what to order, have to have another family conference about how to pay for it;

--the people who wait until 1 minute before the parade, then decide to push their way through 6 layers of people who got there 30 minutes earlier to get a good view--then plop their kid on their shoulders;

--Etc.
    I got so many "Disney" ones, its not even funny.

I love the kid who is 4 foot who tries to get on the ride that you have to be 4 1/2 tall to ride, then the parents get all indignant that they waited in line.

The folks who don't get Disney parking. Drive to the guy, stupid. You don't get to park by the tram stop just because you want to.

When they say "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY", that applies to everybody.

People who ride on Splash Mountain and get pissed off because they get wet, or who buy a raincoat. Its called Splash Mountain for a reason (same applies to Wild River Rapid, any attraction with a waterfall or any log flume ride)

$9.00 beer. Really? 9 freaking dollars?

Best one I ever was was the quadriplegic person who wanted to ride space mountain (or more correctly the parents wanted the kid to ride, the kid had cerebral palsy or some thing like that). They had to stop the ride to load the kid and it took about 5 minutes to do so. Craziest damn thing I ever saw.

Not Disney but I hate when Shamu eats a trainer and I'm not there to see it
    Last edited by Doc; 01-07-2014 at 11:52 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Fab Five

Pet Peeves #1 -#6

Texting and Driving - Today marked 5 days in a row while on the way to work I encountered a texter. All of these are on a 6 lane interstate highway. Monday it was woman in the far left hand lane who, while staying in lane moved completely from side to side. I followed her for a bout a half mile.

Tuesday it was a woman in the far right hand lane in a section of the interstate, just before the on-ramp to another interstate where there are accidents several times a month. She went all the way off the road and had all four wheels in the emergency land. She nearly clipped the car coming from behind who evidently thought she wanted to be in the emergency lane.

Thursday, I followed a woman who is driving in two lanes at the same time.

Today it was a man driving at a steadily increasing speed behind me. I moved over as quick as I could. He was talking on his cell. Passed me easily when I was at 80 mph. He was in a complete trance, self absorbed in the conversation.

Just before Christmas was the worst. Woman in front of me in far left lane doing about 55. I finally pass on right and look over to see her resting phone on bottom of steering wheel looking down. Couldn't tell if she was texting or reading , but tapped my horn hoping to get to look up and pay attention. BIG MISTAKE!! She immediately stepped on the accelerator and passed me, moved over 2 lanes and slowed down waiting for me to pass. She then moves in behind me and starts tailgating. By this time she has her phone on top of the steering wheel. I couldn't tell if she was reading or taking my picture. I speed up to get her off the tail. She then makes a bee line across two lanes of traffic to go straight to the exit ramp.

Two lessons learned. There are a lot of crazies on the highway. Don't try to reform any of them. Just give them all the room in the world. They will self-destruct.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 01-10-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Fab Five

All this makes the woman using the eye lash curler on I-20 during rush hour in the ATL appear sane.

One day last week I was at the grocery with my son Alec. He and I were in line waiting to check out. The woman in front of me literally stood in one place and didn't move for over a minute. She had a weird look on her face and a freaky stare. I seriously asked out loud if she had had a stroke - and if I needed to start CPR or the stroke Algorhythm you are taught in ACLS. Alec laughed at me and said he remembered why he loves going to the store with me. I do not do well with the slow (plodding) or the stupid.
    I'm keeping Receipts!!

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    All this makes the woman using the eye lash curler on I-20 during rush hour in the ATL appear sane.
    Could be worse Mick

Link
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.