Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: NC politician resigns in Klingon

NC politician resigns in Klingon

Maybe this will catch on in the house, or better yet they will eliminate each the honorable Klingon way.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014...n-klingon?lite
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: NC politician resigns in Klingon

CBBN can probably read that with out a Klingon to English dictionary
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I love this guy.

It's really very smart. He chose to do it as a sign of his issue with the council, which he considers to be acting dishonorably. As he said in the story picking "perhaps today is a good day to resign" is a statement of resistance, not surrender. It's what a Klingon would say before going into battle, an affirmation that the fight is worth it.

Sadly Dan I can speak a few words, but not in the original Klingon script he used. Phonetically "Today is a good day to die" is Heghlu'meh QaQ jajvam . How you get from that to the Klingon letters I don't know. lol.

Boss -- I love your idea, settle more of these political disputes the Klingon way. No filibuster, Rand Paul just goes at it with Reid with Bat'leths. It would be a built in term limit.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Geez...I watch The Big Bang Theory, and I thought "Klingon" language was just a product of that show. Didn't realize it was a real thing.

Somebody help me move this rock out of the way I've been living under.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Geez...I watch The Big Bang Theory, and I thought "Klingon" language was just a product of that show. Didn't realize it was a real thing.

Somebody help me move this rock out of the way I've been living under.
    I'd say you don't get out enough, but in fact the problem is probably that you get out too much.

Been a language since 1984. James Doohan (Scotty) actually created the first few words for the first Star Trek movie as no actual Klingon was uttered in TOS, and Mark Okrand (sp?) then wrote the book that defines the canon of the language. A few Shakespeare pieces have been translated into Klingon, chosen b/c of a line in Star Trek VI when the Chancellor makes an off hand statement that you can only appreciate Shakespeare in the original Klingon. I don't know if they were done to the Klingon alphabet or phonetic English.

Ironically Jim Parsons (Sheldon) uttered Klingon in a minor movie role years before BBT existed. Guess he's a good nerd. To show just how geeky people are about it one criticism is that it wasn't canon Klingon used in the movie, just gibberish. There is "real" Klingon and they do use canon Klingon in BBT. No excuse to not use it correctly, there's a book and everything.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

It is truly fascinating to me. I can't believe I didn't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    It is truly fascinating to me. I can't believe I didn't know that.
    See if you get to shoot the UZI Mr. Smarty.

What can I say, I've always been geeky about such things. I'm not to the level of costumes and conventions, I only know the Parsons thing b/c it was on a story I saw on BBT (which I do like), but I have always found it interesting that Star Trek runs so deep culturally that they flushed out Klingon to a full legit language. They definitely have more spare time than I do, but it's an interesting effect of what is essentially a 1970s TV show that barely ran 3 seasons.

Bombino

(un)surprisingly there are Klingon Grammar Nazis (or would they be Klingon Grammar Klingons?)

http://mentalfloss.com/article/54414...ngon-right-way

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    (un)surprisingly there are Klingon Grammar Nazis (or would they be Klingon Grammar Klingons?)

http://mentalfloss.com/article/54414...ngon-right-way
    That's so freaking awesome!

First off, why is the mayor upset? how did that "embarrass" the town or state of North Carolina? I'd almost take that as an insult on Klingons, not a smart move.

Love this part:

If he wants to ride this stunt into the senate (his plan is to pursue a write-in bid for Kay Hagan’s seat), he’s going to have to do more to prove himself to his Klingon-speaking constituency. Granted, it’s a small constituency, but they care a lot about honor. And they’re prone to violence.

The mayor definitely sounds like humorless petaQ, but it should have been done in proper Klingon. Either that or go all out Klingon and challenge him for the job in a fight to the death. All in all not a bad thing for us to consider implementing as part of a term limits plan.