Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Video editing software?

May have asked this before, but I need something simple just to do basic cropping and cutting of videos. I've used Windows Movie Maker in the past and it's fine, but slow and for some reason the videos on my phone have it crawling like a snail. Surely my phone vids can't be THAT big. I also have hi def video of UK stuff, some of which I'd like to edit and get up for the folks here, but need to be able to edit down to clips.

Just wondering if anyone had anything they liked, preferably either free or cheap.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Freshman

Re: Video editing software?

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    May have asked this before, but I need something simple just to do basic cropping and cutting of videos. I've used Windows Movie Maker in the past and it's fine, but slow and for some reason the videos on my phone have it crawling like a snail. Surely my phone vids can't be THAT big. I also have hi def video of UK stuff, some of which I'd like to edit and get up for the folks here, but need to be able to edit down to clips.

Just wondering if anyone had anything they liked, preferably either free or cheap.
    Cit, I don't know about the editing software beyond dabbling with Windows Movie Maker and some of the older Adobe products. However, with your phone videos creeping, it leads me to believe that you have a bit rate or file compatibility issue. To convert videos to smaller, larger, or different formats, I use Handbrake.

I "archive" DVD and Blu-Rays that I own by running them through handbrake after ripping them. I usually drop the resolution to a portable friendly level and convert them to MP4. You could probably do the same with the HD videos before pumping them into Movie Maker. Handbrake converts to MKV too, which I think is more Movie Maker friendly.

Re: Video editing software?

Thanks. I tried handbrake on one when it first choked but it didnt' make any difference. I need to try it with different resolutions and formats, just didnt' mess with it at the time. I'll try moving it to mkv and see if that helps. I figured it was a high bit rate but that means my phone can out graphics process my laptop. Possible but dang. I'll mess around with it some. Appreciate the info b/c if someone else is having luck with handbrake I'll keep trying with it for a while.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 11-08-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.