Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Suncat, this is a bad, really bad storm

Suncat, this is a bad, really bad storm

Any word from the folks? They say flooding has been less than in weaker storms, but the winds were really bad with this one.

Hope everyone is OK

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/11...cmp=latestnews
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Unforgettable

Re: Suncat, this is a bad, really bad storm

Second that but if I remember, sun said the family is up high

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Any word from the folks? They say flooding has been less than in weaker storms, but the winds were really bad with this one.

Hope everyone is OK

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/11...cmp=latestnews

Rupp's Runt

Yes, they are on the side of a mountain, very high up, with reinforced concrete walls and a metal roof. We talked with them on Tuesday, sent them some extra money, and they did the drill all over again.
    Mrs. Suncat05 attempted to call them this morning, but most likely the power & phone lines are both down right now. No contact made.
    I sent a Viber text to my brother-in-law in Australia, but it was around midnight his time when I sent it so I am sure he won't receive it until later this evening, my time.

And yes, my wife has told me that this is the worst typhoon to hit the Philippines in many, many years. The worst ever, maybe. Some winds have been recorded at 232 mph. I don't think even Katrina got up to that much wind force. Very scary stuff there. And it seems like the Philippines has had a typhoon season very much like what we experienced down here in Florida in 2004........four hurricanes in six weeks time.
    Usually, typhoons are big rain events with a little bit of gusting winds. Not so with this storm.
    Thanks, dan. We appreciate you very much!
    MOLON LABE!

seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan

Rupp's Runt

My brother-in-law talked to them just a little while ago, then called us here. They're both okay. They told him that all they received was a little bit of rain, no bad winds. That is in the northern part of the Philippines. Apparently the central and southern parts of the Philippines got hammered.
    Thanks to those of you who have asked. You guys are just the best here, we have the best Kentucky community anywhere right here!
    MOLON LABE!

Excellent news suncat!! Now lets enjoy the game
    seeya
    dan

seeya
    dan

Rupp's Runt

Yes dan. My wife told me this morning that reports estimate approximately 1200 fatalities so far from this storm. Very sad news indeed.
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Yes dan. My wife told me this morning that reports estimate approximately 1200 fatalities so far from this storm. Very sad news indeed.
    Awful.

Sent using Forum Runner

Unforgettable

So glad your family is fine. I was surprised at how many of those storms they get per year

QUOTE=suncat05;122652]Yes dan. My wife told me this morning that reports estimate approximately 1200 fatalities so far from this storm. Very sad news indeed.[/QUOTE]

Rupp's Runt

Yes jazy, in watching this weather the last couple of years or so, it seems like the typhoon seasons have been much more active of late. No different than what we experience in Florida though, so when I do retire I'll just be trading one storm season for another. But we'll be in a CBS house with a steel roof and a generator, so as long as we can get to the market and the grocery store for supplies, we'll be okay.
    MOLON LABE!

This is a historically devastating natural disaster. 10,000 in one city alone are dead...and thousands more likely

God Bless those kind people.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Glad they're OK suncat. What an epic killer storm.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Well, now we are in serious concern mode here...........her one cousin that lives in Visayas, the area that was hardest hit, zero contact. I have reached out to some U.S. military that I know in the region, and my brother-in-law that works for the Australian military is working his contacts too.
    She is such a sweet woman that has had a really tough life until lately. I am praying that she is alive & well.
    On our end here, we are working on getting money and clothing together for the relief effort with other local Filipino families. We're probably going to work with either the Kapuso Foundation or with Tim Tebow's charity organization.
    I wish that I had the ability to physically be there to help, I feel bad that the distance and financial costs are so big as to almost be prohibitive. But we will find some way to help these people. After seeing this we both agree that we have to do something, even if it's from long distance.
    MOLON LABE!

Unforgettable

You know you and your family are in my prayers

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Well, now we are in serious concern mode here...........her one cousin that lives in Visayas, the area that was hardest hit, zero contact. I have reached out to some U.S. military that I know in the region, and my brother-in-law that works for the Australian military is working his contacts too.
    She is such a sweet woman that has had a really tough life until lately. I am praying that she is alive & well.
    On our end here, we are working on getting money and clothing together for the relief effort with other local Filipino families. We're probably going to work with either the Kapuso Foundation or with Tim Tebow's charity organization.
    I wish that I had the ability to physically be there to help, I feel bad that the distance and financial costs are so big as to almost be prohibitive. But we will find some way to help these people. After seeing this we both agree that we have to do something, even if it's from long distance.

Rupp's Runt

Thank you jazy. After seeing all of the pictures of the devastation involved I am really worried for Bernadette. I wish we could be there in person to help. If she's alive we'll find her. But there are still thousands missing.
    MOLON LABE!

Rupp's Runt

GOOD NEWS! GOOD NEWS!

Bernadette and her boyfriend Richard are alive and well! She made contact with her daughter in Sweden, who in turn made contact with my brother-in-law in Australia. They have no power or phones right now, but someone in the AFP(Armed Forces of the Philippines)Army let her use one of their Army comms to call her daughter. Then my brother-in-law called my wife to give her the good news.
    Their house is still mostly intact, but all of their windows were blown out. They said they are good for food & water, just need to get the windows repaired and get the power restored, but they also said the power/phone situation isn't going to be fully operational for a while. Which I'm sure most of us here kind of figured with the sheer severity of the storm.
    I made contact with my partner in the U.S. forces there already and advised him that they are okay. He told me he will go check on them anyway when he is in their area.

Many thanks to all of you here for your prayers and concerns. You guys are just wonderful! Thank you!
    MOLON LABE!

Thanks for sharing the great news!
    seeya
    dan