Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Cal wasn't blowing smoke - Willis can play

Cal wasn't blowing smoke - Willis can play

I expected to see some shades of a future upperclassman who could really contribute. I see a guy who is a year or two from being hard to keep off the floor even with Cal's 5* recruiting. You can easily see him having a Scott Padgett level career, and he was a 1st rounder and 10 year NBA player.

he was hot from outside, always makes you look better, but I loved how he was active, got on the glass, played defense, just had a good overall contribution. He gets his pocket picked way too easy but that's just strength and learning, his handle is sound. Not hard at all to see Padgett out there, honestly ahead of Padgett at this point.

Flounder commented elsewhere he went Tayshaun on us, funny b/c that's what I said at the game on that last 3. He was out in Tayshaun land with that one and it was a pure shot.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Re: Cal wasn't blowing smoke - Willis can play

He is better than that Wiltjer kid RIGHT now ....

Fiddlin' Five

He is better than KW.....he can mix it up with bigs......and play some D

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    He is better than that Wiltjer kid RIGHT now ....
    Yes he is, by a long shot, and that is not a pun.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I see Willis the same way I see Poythress. Both will play mainly at the three IMO. And both will usually be the last option when they're in because everyone else can score in so many ways. But that's fine because both will benefit greatly from being open ALL the time. And since they're both so long and get their shots off so quickly, and can really shoot, they'll be extremely valuable on the wings on kick outs. I mean, defenses can't guard every inch of the floor.

Wilter would have not seen the floor this year. I now think he made a good decision.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
    Wilter would have not seen the floor this year. I now think he made a good decision.
    He knew what he was doing, dawg.

Sent using Forum Runner

I agree GhettoBird. No way KW played many minutes with the quality of players Cal brought in. I wish him well - but like our team. Man I wish I could have watched the game tonight. Love living vicariously through all of you though!
    I'm keeping Receipts!!

One of my favorite quotes, Darrell.

If you had told me before the scrimmage that Willis was a Top 10 player, I would have believed it. I think he rope-a-doped all of the recruiting pundits. I expected him to be active, frankly; it is his only ticket to get on the floor with this group. But if he can shoot like that, holy heck.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
    I agree with the first half. No way he saw the court this year. I think that was a given after how he finished last year and didn't spend the summer in the weight room with Rock. Where I disagree is if he made the best long term career choice.

By transferring he won't see the court for a year anyway. He could have redshirted (Cal did give him that option apparently) and played against these guys for a year with UK's S&C program or he can go to Gonzaga and play against 5 other guys as slow as him.

I look at it this way: if his goal is the NBA he can either play these kinds of guys every day in practice or duck them for 4-5 years and then play them in the NBA tryout camps. I think we all know how the latter path will end for him. It's true his PT would be nil this year, but just like this year he'd have a shot next year if he really dug in and applied himself.

IMO we'll see that happen with Willis. He's embracing it, working hard, and next year when all these guys leave and we may not have the uber-deep class coming in he's going to get some minutes. Then as a junior and senior even if he's guy #6 or 7 he is a 1st round pick and is then READY in every way to go play guys like Randle and Johnson b/c that's who's waiting for him in his path to the NBA.

Polson is a good example. Does anyone think had Polson gone to Gonzaga he'd be nearly as good as he has become playing against Wall and Knight and now Harrison? What SEC PG will intimidate him when he's defended those guys? Hawkins the same way, if he is pressed into a big game situation in February what will that team show him he hasn't had to see 20 hours a week in practice?

Play 'em now in practice or play them in the tryout camps. Willis may not get any real minutes this year, but I see him having a much bigger pro career than Wiltjer unless Kyle takes the panties off and mans up.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
    One of my favorite quotes, Darrell.

If you had told me before the scrimmage that Willis was a Top 10 player, I would have believed it. I think he rope-a-doped all of the recruiting pundits. I expected him to be active, frankly; it is his only ticket to get on the floor with this group. But if he can shoot like that, holy heck.
    He seems to have rope a doped about everyone, even Cal to some degree. I never assumed he was "not UK caliber" as many pundits, I figured I'd find out about this time when we finally got to see him play, but I'm impressed with his overall game and attitude and energy for a freshman, more than I would have hoped given his ranking even knowing he wasn't necessarily going to get a fair shake from the national guys b/c he isn't a flash player.

that was a shooting form clinic tonight on face and release. Reminded me of Sheppard how he quickly got set and let it go, that's only going to get better in college and it's a great initial start for a release. He also didn't have that freshmanitis in his decision making. They weren't all the right decisions, but there was no hesitation or over thinking. Long term "fail fast" is going to work for him.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I agree with the first half. No way he saw the court this year. I think that was a given after how he finished last year and didn't spend the summer in the weight room with Rock. Where I disagree is if he made the best long term career choice.

By transferring he won't see the court for a year anyway. He could have redshirted (Cal did give him that option apparently) and played against these guys for a year with UK's S&C program or he can go to Gonzaga and play against 5 other guys as slow as him.

I look at it this way: if his goal is the NBA he can either play these kinds of guys every day in practice or duck them for 4-5 years and then play them in the NBA tryout camps. I think we all know how the latter path will end for him. It's true his PT would be nil this year, but just like this year he'd have a shot next year if he really dug in and applied himself.

IMO we'll see that happen with Willis. He's embracing it, working hard, and next year when all these guys leave and we may not have the uber-deep class coming in he's going to get some minutes. Then as a junior and senior even if he's guy #6 or 7 he is a 1st round pick and is then READY in every way to go play guys like Randle and Johnson b/c that's who's waiting for him in his path to the NBA.

Polson is a good example. Does anyone think had Polson gone to Gonzaga he'd be nearly as good as he has become playing against Wall and Knight and now Harrison? What SEC PG will intimidate him when he's defended those guys? Hawkins the same way, if he is pressed into a big game situation in February what will that team show him he hasn't had to see 20 hours a week in practice?

Play 'em now in practice or play them in the tryout camps. Willis may not get any real minutes this year, but I see him having a much bigger pro career than Wiltjer unless Kyle takes the panties off and mans up.

Great points.

Ghetto, it's open to debate and I see your point as well. My description is how I think it will play out, but I'm also not the 20 year old kid who wants to play ball. Just doing practice hard for a YEAR is tough, I get it, and maybe even the NBA thing isn't his huge end of the world goal in life. That's OK too.

So I don't wish him anything but the best, I just think once he was given a redhsirt option at UK he had been given a second chance to spend a year as understudy then be ready when things may be more open. He had that chance in spades this past year and wasted it. Now that redshirt may not have been completely real either, I can't say, and if not maybe that changes things.

I love the kid, love his shot and basic skill with the ball, but I think he doesn't have the desire to battle himself into the NBA. that's OK, his choice, but if that's really his goal I'm not sure he fully accepts there are no shortcuts where you can be the only guy with a true hook shot and somehow that gets you in.

I left the scrimmage early, took the boys, watching the second half now, just saw the Lob dunk by Willis. Guys, Wiltjer can't do that here, Canada or Gonzaga ..the kid is a very good athlete.. Kyle was NEVER a hard worker, even in year 1

I agree with the first half. No way he saw the court this year. I think that was a given after how he finished last year and didn't spend the summer in the weight room with Rock. Where I disagree is if he made the best long term career choice........Play 'em now in practice or play them in the tryout camps. Willis may not get any real minutes this year, but I see him having a much bigger pro career than Wiltjer unless Kyle takes the panties off and mans up.
    Citizen, what you're missing is Kyle's lack of talent. He can work himself to exhaustion in the weight room and isn't not going to mean squat as far as his ability to play the game of basketball. He's right where he needs to be at Gonzaga.

Willis "can" be the second coming of Scott Padgett if he is willing to work hard and wait his turn .

I know it's early, but he looks more athletic than Scott Padgett and at least as good of a shooter with a quicker release. His body isn't as solid as Scott's, but it's rangy. Not sure which translates better to the NBA, but I can certainly see NBA dollars in Derek's future.

I expected to see some shades of a future upperclassman who could really contribute. I see a guy who is a year or two from being hard to keep off the floor even with Cal's 5* recruiting. You can easily see him having a Scott Padgett level career, and he was a 1st rounder and 10 year NBA player.

he was hot from outside, always makes you look better, but I loved how he was active, got on the glass, played defense, just had a good overall contribution. He gets his pocket picked way too easy but that's just strength and learning, his handle is sound. Not hard at all to see Padgett out there, honestly ahead of Padgett at this point.

Flounder commented elsewhere he went Tayshaun on us, funny b/c that's what I said at the game on that last 3. He was out in Tayshaun land with that one and it was a pure shot.
    I was thinking the same thing last night while watching the game.

He seem more mobile than Padgett. He has a lot of bounce in his step. I was also impressed at how well he could handle the ball.

Hard to believe our rotation would be limited to eight deep. At the very least keep shaking the sifter and see what's left in a month or so.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.