Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Anybody Know Anything About Concrete Leveling?

A corner section of my front walk is sinking unevenly. It is getting to the point that something is going to have to be done. Do any of you guys/gals know anything about concrete leveling? Would it cost more than just having someone remove the sinking slab and pour a new one? Have any of you used a contractor you'd recommend for this kind of thing?
    I wouldn't pull for UofL if they were playing the Taliban.

Re: Anybody Know Anything About Concrete Leveling?

Is it an individual slab that can be replaced without having to cut it out? How big a section?

There are two basic options. Take it out, add in your base fill (gravel) and replace it, or go in underneath and bring it up either by putting in fill or a newer option is to pump in a more liquid concrete that will then set but the pressure will raise it up. The last method is good for something like a garage slab where you have a big area and it's easier to raise it than replace it.

For a sidewalk or walkway typically you just replace it, esp. if it's a walk made of independent slabs or something with natural lines in it where you can cut it out and hide the cuts. About the only downside is matching any aging look you have, but concrete will age out pretty quick so a newer section of sidewalk will blend in within some months. Most don't care about such things, but some do.

One issue is the time of year. There's debate on the subject within the trade but IMO it's getting close to being too cold to pour a very big section of it and have it cure properly. I'd pick a warm 4-5 day stretch very soon if I were pouring a slab.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

It isn't very big. I'd say about 16-18 sq. ft. that sits against the corner of the house. It has broken away from the other walk slabs perfectly along the "joints." Sounds like an outright replacement might be my best bet, which I kind of figured.

I knew the cold could be an issue, and I should have gotten it taken care of over the Summer. Since it's not a foundation slab or anything, it shouldn't be anything more than an annoyance to just wait for Spring.

Do you know anybody that does concrete work? I would take a crack at it myself, but it is the front walk and we'll probably be trying to sell the house in the next couple of years. I want it to look good.

Is it just sinking on one side? If it's thick enough and with it broken along the relief joints it may be something you can pry up and fill and put down given the size. Just depends on how it will look along the joints. If you're going to sell it you don't want it to be an obvious thing people see when they walk up, but if it were level would it look right? Maybe able to take some iron bars and get it up enough.

I have a guy who does most of my construction work, could do that but not sure how busy he may be. He's been on some big jobs of late. He covers Lexington and surrounds towards Paris. He lives up that way.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

The one thing that has not been mentioned and "could" be the biggest issue, is why is it sinking? I think that has to be determined before making a choice on how to proceed with the repair.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    The one thing that has not been mentioned and "could" be the biggest issue, is why is it sinking? I think that has to be determined before making a choice on how to proceed with the repair.
    Exactly. You need to address the cause and then the fix. If it is next to the foundation and is recent construction, it may have been a poor backfill of dirt along the foundation wall. If you are going to be in the location more than a year, you need a quality repair.

I'm almost 100% sure it is sinking because the downspout from the gutter is routed through it. I figure the corrugated drain tile has broken and the water is eating away the dirt underneath the slab. The tile probably wasn't properly installed to begin with. It's 2003 construction in a Lex subdivision. It certainly doesn't appear that they spent a lot of time on properly installing the gutter system.

So, that brings me back to CBBN's query: I don't think raising it and fixing it myself is a great option when you figure that the drainage system may need to be reworked. I've also got a larger slab in the back that I'd like to have a pro look at to figure out whether I'm going to run into the same problem there.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by BarristerCat View Post
    I'm almost 100% sure it is sinking because the downspout from the gutter is routed through it. I figure the corrugated drain tile has broken and the water is eating away the dirt underneath the slab. The tile probably wasn't properly installed to begin with. It's 2003 construction in a Lex subdivision. It certainly doesn't appear that they spent a lot of time on properly installing the gutter system.

So, that brings me back to CBBN's query: I don't think raising it and fixing it myself is a great option when you figure that the drainage system may need to be reworked. I've also got a larger slab in the back that I'd like to have a pro look at to figure out whether I'm going to run into the same problem there.
    Get rid of the corrugated black plastic pipe and replace it with a smooth pvc pipe.PVC pipe will let you take the water where you want it to go.

Just a little information for you all as far as the raising concrete for a slab, walkway, garage floor etc... I've got a home inspection business and inspected a home that had significant settlement issues with the garage floor/slab. The buyer called a company that does foundations/concrete lifting etc... To make a long story short they called me to get more information about the settlement in the slab. Bottom line was he said they charge a pretty standard fee of 7.00/square foot for raising a slab/walkway, whatever. I would suspect the price in Lexington area would be similar. I'm in Ashland and this was a company out of Charleston (hour away).

Also agree, you need to address the source of the settlement first.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Get rid of the corrugated black plastic pipe and replace it with a smooth pvc pipe.PVC pipe will let you take the water where you want it to go.
    Sound advice. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by AshCat View Post
    Just a little information for you all as far as the raising concrete for a slab, walkway, garage floor etc... I've got a home inspection business and inspected a home that had significant settlement issues with the garage floor/slab. The buyer called a company that does foundations/concrete lifting etc... To make a long story short they called me to get more information about the settlement in the slab. Bottom line was he said they charge a pretty standard fee of 7.00/square foot for raising a slab/walkway, whatever. I would suspect the price in Lexington area would be similar. I'm in Ashland and this was a company out of Charleston (hour away).
    Thanks for the info. I'll definitely put it to use. That seems like a manageable price for my situation. Just have to address the underlying issue.

Unforgettable

Having gone thru having my foundation done last fall....$18,000.... Find the source before you do anything

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    Having gone thru having my foundation done last fall....$18,000.... Find the source before you do anything
    Yikes. If my repairs cost that much, we'll be moving to one of those free government houses.

Unforgettable

I let mine go too long because I wanted to be able to pay for the whole thing and not borrow anything. Had 41 holes dug into my foundation inside and out, quite a mess from settlement. Raised one side of the house 6 .5 inches. interesting watching them do it, just jacked it up with jacks. Then had a special mixture of concrete they called grout pumped in under the house between the slab and the dirt so it would have a base under it and not air, took two full concrete mixer trucks to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by BarristerCat View Post
    Yikes. If my repairs cost that much, we'll be moving to one of those free government houses.