Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: computer help

computer help

I clicked on the link to watch the "Cal addressing the campers" video and discovered I have no audio on my Dell Inspiron 1750 laptop. I checked all of what I thought to be the obvious stuff like the volume, and mute button, I logged off and logged back on and the machine makes all of the logging on sounds and songs, I also plugged in some ear buds with no luck. I called Dell support and since I'm out of warranty they want to sell me a support package starting 129.00-249.00 to help me.

Can anybody walk me through a trouble shooting process to get my sound back? Or do I just need to pony up the dough to get Akmed to get me going? First a cracked up iphone now this.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: computer help

i'm going to assume you're running Windows 7.

do you get sounds from other programs? if it's just your browser, while the video is playing, go down to the bottom-right-hand corner of your screen (next to where the clock is located), you should see the icon for your sound volume. single left-click and you should get the volume slider. you should see "Mixer" at the bottom of the slider, click that. you should see several sliders, one of which will be for your internet browser (remember, make sure you have the video playing). it is probably down really low and if it is, move it back up even with your "Speakers" volume.

if none of that applied, then i'm not sure what the problem could be. but when this has happened to me in the past, the above was the solution.

Definitely don't pay that just to work on the sound problem, at least not till we take a crack at it. if you have win 7 follow Brock's process and see what you find out. Are you getting any sound at all like when it boots up?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I went with Brocks recommendation and all of the sliders are in the 90% range including the one for "internet" I am running windows 7, and I do get boot up sounds, which leads me to believe it's not like a blown speaker. Incidentally I plugged in some buds and I got boot up tones through them but no internet audio through them either.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

problems like this are hard to diagnose and fix without sitting right in front of the laptop and poking around. have you tried a different browser?

The good news is it's not a hardware thing, you're getting sounds, just not on videos. I'm no Win 7 expert so I'm going to be taking a stab at it but I like Brock's idea of trying a different browser if you have one available. In the "beyond obvious" category is just to make sure on the video that the volume control embedded in the video is all the way up. In the "my music" folder there is a sample audio file (if you haven't put on any of your own). Try opening that and see if it plays and has sound, it will be independent of some of the possible browser issues.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Reboot. Check drivers. May need to uninstall sound driver and install another. Have had that occur on mine, and fixed, but took me days what should have taken minutes to do.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

You guys are going to s%($t, I had a YouTube video that had the mute on which as it turns out muted everything else I kept clicking on to check it. Now that I feel like a complete jack-a22, thanks for all your help and eagerness to to help me with my problem as well as trying to save me money. I was real close to get an IT guy involved.

I am having the same problem, on a Vista (yeah, yeah I know) desktop and a Windows 7 laptop. Getting the starting and ending sounds, sound is OK on everything else, but the video itself is muted and I can't change it. Weird.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    I am having the same problem, on a Vista (yeah, yeah I know) desktop and a Windows 7 laptop. Getting the starting and ending sounds, sound is OK on everything else, but the video itself is muted and I can't change it. Weird.
    See if you've got mute on youtube, if there is an "X" next to the little speaker icon click on it and move the volume bar to the right /"+" side of the bar

There is and it is not functioning.
    Oh, well, if I want to hear them I can find it on the interwebs cause all other functionality is working AOK.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

OK, this is just plain weird,
    I must have checked for updates, drivers etc. and re-booted at least three times since this thread began.
    Just did it and the sun-of-a-gun works.
    I think I may have something haunting my electronic devices because this happens every now and again.

(Barry Fitzgerald"s voice) "Would you lease step forward and make your presence known. What is your name? Why are you still here and mucking about with Pappy's Electronics?"

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    You guys are going to s%($t, I had a YouTube video that had the mute on which as it turns out muted everything else I kept clicking on to check it. Now that I feel like a complete jack-a22, thanks for all your help and eagerness to to help me with my problem as well as trying to save me money. I was real close to get an IT guy involved.
    No reason to feel bad. Every computer person I know has had some multi hour head banging debug session just to find they were looking in the wrong folder for the problem or had something simple turned off they never checked. It happens. I'm always just glad when the solution is something simple and costless to fix.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    No reason to feel bad. Every computer person I know has had some multi hour head banging debug session just to find they were looking in the wrong folder for the problem or had something simple turned off they never checked. It happens. I'm always just glad when the solution is something simple and costless to fix.
    Yeah we all do it. Spend an hour diagnosing a problem that is as simple as a loose plug, wire, weird setting, etc. It happens to the best (and worst) of us.