Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Favorite App Suggestions

Okay guys I'm officially in the year 2013 and have a smart phone. What are your favorite App (preferably free) whether the App be for entertainment purposes (games etc.) or serving a valuable function (weather, weight, business aids etc.) or something that is just "cool" (space station tracking, calculators etc.) what say you? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

There has probably already been a thread like this before but I never noticed it because I was still in the dark ages and using can-and-string technology.

So far about the only ones I have are Shazam, Safe Note, and My Radar
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Favorite App Suggestions

mapquest, google maps, flashlight, evernote, IHeartRadio, Intellicast, are just a few I like and all are free
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Unforgettable

I like my radar, especially when I am traveling, playing golf or hunting, I heart radio, pandora. Not really big into apps. I don't live on my phone and have more fun things to do than play in a phone

"FIND MY PHONE" for both mine and my wife. I can see where she is at any time, usually to find out when she is on her way home so I can start dinner, but also when her car breaks down etc. Also does the obvious, find your phone. Tonight was a prime example as she could not find her phone. Took me 5 seconds to tell her she left it at work. FMP is only for the last 3 generations of Iphones. My son has "FIND MY FRIENDS" which works for non Iphones. I use it to keep up with him because at 15, a parent needs to know where their kids are.
    I like the Netflix app but use it mostly on my tablet. I watch 1 to 2 episodes of TV shows every day. My morning routine is a cup of coffee and an episode of "that 70's show" at Panera.
    The Tip Calculators are great as well. Put in your bill and the % and it tells you how much to tip, plus if you are splitting the bill, it does it automatically.
    Viber is great! It allows you to make call overseas for free so long as they have a wifi connection. My business partner has a house in the Bahama's and it allows us to keep in contact w/o using the phone system and its charges. Will work anywhere in the world so long as there is wifi.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

and how could we forget TAPATALK so you can access KSR
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Also ZITE. Its an app that you put in your preference and it scans the web and finds articles about your interests. Its actually pretty cool way to find things.

Bombino
    I second tapatalk. Don't know how I got by without it. As fir games, humble Android bundle is going on right now. DRM free games, you pay what you want.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 4

Viber is great! It allows you to make call overseas for free so long as they have a wifi connection. My business partner has a house in the Bahama's and it allows us to keep in contact w/o using the phone system and its charges. Will work anywhere in the world so long as there is wifi.
    While I have no personal need for it, that sounds like an awesome app
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

My wife, kids & I all have Viber loaded in our phones. Keeping in mind the differences in time zones, we are able to talk with my Father/Mother-in-law in the Philippines, and my brothers-in-law working in Malaysia and living in Australia and their families too.
    We absolutely love it! Not only does it work well for us all, it doesn't cost us one penny! And when it's not convenient to actually talk, we can use the texting feature to communicate. Just a great app.
    MOLON LABE!

Rupp's Runt

Dan, even though you think you might not have a real need for it, it is one of those things that just might come in very handy in the darndest circumstances. And as long as you're someplace that has wifi it works!
    My one brother-in-law in Australia is who turned us on to it. He's one of those "techie" guys anyway, he's always up on the newest & most current stuff. He's the one that does contract work for the Australian military.
    MOLON LABE!

Some I have not seen mentioned yet.

Tweetcaster - if you are on twitter, this one is phenomenal. They have a free version and a pro version, which I gladly paid for to remove a banner ad at the bottom. I use it for personal twitter, for KSR twitter, for my school's publicity twitter account (I'm the publicity chairperson), and for my own business. The things it does are remarkable. (Side note--I love the apps that give a free version with all functionality. If you try it and like it, you can support them by buying pro, which I have done numerous times. I have also abandoned some apps after trying the full function version, and I very rarely even try one with limited function.)

Evernote--king of the note apps. From data saving, to voice saving, to pic saving, to calendaring, docketing and tickler applications, to you name it. Tremendous.

Office Suite--if you have any need to edit documents prepared in Word, etc. Pretty pricey in terms of apps costs ($9.99 or $19.99, I don't remember), but very solid.

Dropbox, Box.net and Drive (Google Drive)--great storage apps. I routinely access client files or teaching materials from my phone with one of those apps.

Chrome & Opera--try them out, see if you prefer one over the stock browser. I have all three. Some also like Dolphin for minimalism.

Iheartradio and TuneInradio--great for finding ballgames and listening to the UK radio call.

Sirius/XM app--if you have the internet subscription. I use this often while running.

Gmail apps are great--particularly love the ease of swiping to delete one after another email.

Boomerrang for gmail--love scheduling emails to go out, and this works well, although I have only used it a handful of times.

More to come....
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 10-04-2013 at 02:15 PM.

If you EVER get on KSR with your phone and don't have Tapatalk or Forum Runner absolutely get one of them.

I use AI Type Keyboard to replace the Samsung/Android one. I like the size of the characters and the behavior better. Cool thing about android is you can replace the whole keyboard. I've tried the swipe too (Samsung licensed swiftkey), still testing with that route.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

A few in the "entertainment/sports" area--

Betbud - I don't bet, but enjoy putting in my plays for Doc's Beat the Odds games, and my Stupid Underdog Pick. Free version is limited, but that's all I have. If you were in a pool or something like that, the pay version would be ultra-cool.

FreeCaddie, SimpleGolfGPS, GolfLogix and V1Golf--really neat apps, either course yardage finders, and/or an app that breaks down your golf swing with video--makes it in slow-motion, and you can even superimpose a PGA golfer's swing on yours to compare angles, etc. Free and pay version. I use it with my son (we don't get out very often, but fun enough).

Scoreboard/scorekeeping apps for basketball and volleyball, including Individual Basketball, Individual Volleyball, Light Score, Match Point Scoreboard, Scoreboard Free, Soccer Stats (Lite version, too), Volleyball Positions, and Volleyball Stats. Yeah, I'm a little of a kids' stats nerd and the positions app is really handy when you're learning to be a "real" volleyball coach so you do not put players out of rotation.

Health and Diet apps -- Lose It! is a very good app for keeping track of food and exercise and weight. I also have S Health (that came with the phone), Runtastic Pro (I paid for this one, too, because it is outstanding in keeping up with how far you ran, altitude changes, pace, and a hundred other things), GoodRx (I just downloaded it at the suggestion of a friend--it has 6,000 pharmacies and online pharmacies in it and will compare prescription prices at all of them for you, and Med Helper--I like this free app because it gives reminders to take medicine, and you can track unscheduled ones like over the counter apps so you don't overmedicate yourself. It sends notifications when due, too. I now take 3 eyedrops a day for my eye pressure (see "that Friday" post I made visiting the eye hospital), and a notification comes to the phone when I am supposed to take it. Tap on it, it records that I took the one (or skipped it, or records WHEN I took it, etc.)

More to come. I have 442 apps currently on my phone, and have probably tried that many others and discarded them. No, I don't use them all, and yes, there are some I have almost never used, and just haven't discarded yet. But they are wonderful devices. To be at a volleyball match--like I will this weekend--and be able to track stats, and keep score alone is worth it. To keep up with football scores all day as I am inside a gym is worth it. Stuff like that.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 10-04-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    If you EVER get on KSR with your phone and don't have Tapatalk or Forum Runner absolutely get one of them.

I use AI Type Keyboard to replace the Samsung/Android one. I like the size of the characters and the behavior better. Cool thing about android is you can replace the whole keyboard. I've tried the swipe too (Samsung licensed swiftkey), still testing with that route.
    Ditto. I am still using both, and find both are outstanding. I have not found "a winner" between the two; they are ultra-close to me.

OK, today's category for me is "Travel/Navigation."

I'd suggest trying these (all free)

Google Navigation - superior to my Magellan, my Tom-Tom, my Navigon, my Garmin and my Mio. Just the best.

Waze - have enjoyed this one a great deal. It is "user-contributed," and has terrific reporting capabilities (have found some police cars hiding with it/speed traps, hazards, and traffic slowdowns)

Orbitz & TripAdvisor - good for trips and recommendations and such

Maps - offshoot of Google Navigation, terrific

Ulysses Speedometer - neat speedometer, believe it is more accurate than my car's speedometer (and definitely than my Volvo's, which may say I am going 45 if I'm going 70, or say I'm going 50 if I'm going 15. Occasionally it operates correctly, too.) Has more features on it than just speed, as well. Cool inverse thing where you can place your phone on your dashboard, and read the speed as a reflection in your windshield so you're constantly looking on the road, too.

All free.

More later.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 10-04-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Flipboard (I looooooooooooooooooove this app)
    Smart Tools
    Beautiful Widgets ($)
    IP Webcam
    Power Toggles
    Zedge

Rupp's Runt

Speed traps? Really Darrell? Those don't exist anymore.........
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Speed traps? Really Darrell? Those don't exist anymore.........
    I know, what was I thinking?

Sent using Forum Runner

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Some I have not seen mentioned yet.

Tweetcaster - if you are on twitter, this one is phenomenal. They have a free version and a pro version, which I gladly paid for to remove a banner ad at the bottom. I use it for personal twitter, for KSR twitter, for my school's publicity twitter account (I'm the publicity chairperson), and for my own business. The things it does are remarkable. (Side note--I love the apps that give a free version with all functionality. If you try it and like it, you can support them by buying pro, which I have done numerous times. I have also abandoned some apps after trying the full function version, and I very rarely even try one with limited function.)

Evernote--king of the note apps. From data saving, to voice saving, to pic saving, to calendaring, docketing and tickler applications, to you name it. Tremendous.

Office Suite--if you have any need to edit documents prepared in Word, etc. Pretty pricey in terms of apps costs ($9.99 or $19.99, I don't remember), but very solid.

Dropbox, Box.net and Drive (Google Drive)--great storage apps. I routinely access client files or teaching materials from my phone with one of those apps.

Chrome & Opera--try them out, see if you prefer one over the stock browser. I have all three. Some also like Dolphin for minimalism.

Iheartradio and TuneInradio--great for finding ballgames and listening to the UK radio call.

Sirius/XM app--if you have the internet subscription. I use this often while running.

Gmail apps are great--particularly love the ease of swiping to delete one after another email.

Boomerrang for gmail--love scheduling emails to go out, and this works well, although I have only used it a handful of times.

More to come....
    How do you find the UK game on IHeartRadio? I am going to be otu of the house today and can't seem to find it.

Somerset, KY radio station carries it, don't remember the name

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

Bombino

OK that does help a lot, thanks. I'll start running through those stations to see if I can find it

Bombino

OK for those that are wondering it seems like it is K93. Currently its broadcasting the pre-game. You got it back to me JUST in time! Thanks a bunch D

Unforgettable

93 I think

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    OK for those that are wondering it seems like it is K93. Currently its broadcasting the pre-game. You got it back to me JUST in time! Thanks a bunch D
    Glad it helped and you got a good game.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

Run Pee App tells you the best time to well...run and pee during a movie. You tell it the movie you are about to watch and it tells you points in the movie that you can run out and not miss anything important in the movie

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    Run Pee App tells you the best time to well...run and pee during a movie. You tell it the movie you are about to watch and it tells you points in the movie that you can run out and not miss anything important in the movie
    Although I am not a big movie goer, I bought that app and have used it a few times and recommend it, too. It also has a timer where you can start it and it will alert you to where those moments are, and has a synopsis of what occurred, so you really miss nothing. Oh, and it tells you if there is anything after the closing credits, too, so if you like to depart as soon as possible, but don't want to miss anything, you are protected. Also gives a brief breakdown of every movie, shock I find helpful in deciding what to see.

Sent using Forum Runner

Favorite App Suggestions

Hello from tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueBrock View Post
    Smart Tools
    Beautiful Widgets ($)
    IP Webcam
    Power Toggles
    Zedge
    3B, what do these do for you?

Bombino

Beautiful WIdgets adds some additional widgets that you can customize for your home screen.
    Flipboard is a way of reading "magazines" about topics.
    Power Toggles gives you additional toggles for rapidly turning things on and off (such as 3G, flashlight, etc)

The others I don't know.

Oh yeah I forgot another one. SWYPE KEYBOARD! Now in the App Store. It and SwiftKey are the two most popular keyboards for android. I have often typed long posts using Swype it makes life much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueBrock View Post
    Smart Tools
    Beautiful Widgets ($)
    IP Webcam
    Power Toggles
    Zedge
    Flipboard is a great way to browse the news from whatever sites float your boat. You can also add your Facebook and Twitter timelines if you so desire. Very well designed app.

Smart Tools is just a bunch of utilities - levels, angle measures, distance, decibel meter, compass, etc.

Beautiful Widgets is a nice collection of home screen widgets that is highly customizable with a large selection of custom themes.

IP Webcam is a cool way to turn your smartphone into a webcam on your home network. When it's running, you can connect to it from your web browser or any program that uses a webcam.

Power Toggles is just a customizable toggle widget that you can put on your home screen or in your notification pull down. Just allows for quick access to the toggles for WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.

And Zedge is a collection of wallpapers, ringtones, notification sounds, and games (though I don't get games from it). Huge collection of them, too.