Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: iphone repair

iphone repair

Well, I was given a new iphone at work today and I had to go the ATT store to get a new SIM card. Upon arriving home and walking into the house with the phone still in the box the bottom fell out of the box the phone fell in the driveway and shattered the screen.

Can an iphone 4 glass be replaced and how and what's the cost of a glass replacement.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: iphone repair

If you have Apple Care on the phone, then you'll have to pay your deductible. If you don't and you send it to Apple to be repaired, it's likely going to cost upwards of $150-200. I dropped my HTC One on the sidewalk last week and cracked the screen. Sent it to HTC for repair and it cost me $180. Deductible on insurance for this phone is about that anyway, so I actually save money by not having any.

However, you might be able to find some enterprising person locally who repairs iPhones for a lower cost than official channels (for instance: http://lexington.craigslist.org/mob/4062261212.html). My phone doesn't tear down very easily, so I had no choice but to send it off for repair.

I set up an appointment with the apple store at Oxmore, when I called the guy had no info about cost or even if it could be repaired. So much for my free company supplied phone, it's not likely they'll pay to have it repaired since I broke it.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

It cost me about $100 to have my old one repaired about a year ago at an independent place. Radio shack advertises iPhone screen repair "starting at $59."

I bought a screen for my daughter's iPod 2 for $10 on eBay and repaired it myself. The glass face came with a little plastic tool that helped separate the pieces. There were a few YouTube videos that I followed to show how it was done.
    Your mileage may vary.

Did it just shatter the glass or did it break the digitizer? i.e. does the display still work but the screen is just cracked (spider webbed?) If you have to replace both the glass and the digitizer it's a harder/more expensive job than just replacing cracked glass.

I dropped my first iPhone (3gs) face down on concrete and cracked the glass badly but used it for months before I traded it with someone for an unbroken 3gs (he was going to jailbreak / unlock and resell mine.)

Rupp's Runt

Don't ANY of you guys believe in protecting your phones with an Otterbox or a Lifeproof protective case, or some other kind of protective case to protect the phone anyway?
    Evevrybody drops their cell phone, it's a fact of life. Protect your phones people!!
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Don't ANY of you guys believe in protecting your phones with an Otterbox or a Lifeproof protective case, or some other kind of protective case to protect the phone anyway?
    Evevrybody drops their cell phone, it's a fact of life. Protect your phones people!!
    No kidding. I've got one in a life proof. My other one broke in a case that wasn't an otter or lifeproof, when it landed exactly flat after I dropped it. So it's fifty bucks versus 100-200 deductible, an easy decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    I bought a screen for my daughter's iPod 2 for $10 on eBay and repaired it myself. The glass face came with a little plastic tool that helped separate the pieces. There were a few YouTube videos that I followed to show how it was done.
    Your mileage may vary.
    My son has done that several times, too. He says it isn't difficult, but I'm not sure I would try it myself. Then again, those who know my mechanical aptitude...

Sent using Forum Runner

I went to my Apple store appointment this morning, if you've never been...WOW! what an experience. About a million techy guys flying around, the place was packed at noon today and they opened at 11:30. Anyway I went with Apple fix which is a phone replacement 149.99, since the company had just given me the phone I didn't want to monkey around with getting it fixed.

Sounds like OTTERBOX is the way to go?? Or LifeProof???

If you are OK with bulky, Otterbox has great reviews. For me, I did not leave the store without the Tech21 case with D30 technology on it. I'm sure there are a bunch of great ones, but I buy the science of it, and it is sleek and thin, attractive, and slips easily in my front pocket where I normally carry it.

Sent using Forum Runner

Just got my Tech21 case yesterday. "Smokey" b/c I'm so cool. I love the size and fit of it, adds very little bulk. I hope it does the job and that I never have to find out either way.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Is the Tech 21 iphone 4 protective band a soft rubber type material? Is the band sufficient protection?

I was given a Ballistic Shell Gel case today, with the exception of being waterproof it seems like a perfectly capable case. Plus the price was right $00.00. I think in the future if I upgrade I'll look into a waterproof case.

Thanks for the all the input, I had my search narrowed to the LifeProof, OtterBox, and Tech 21... leaning towards tech 21

Like the discussion we had on the various smartphones, they're all good. I don't think you can go wrong with the choices you made.

By the way, my cell phone store gave me my Tech21 case for free, too. I don't know why. Been trading there for many years, and have 8 phones on two different plans, so I give them a decent amount of "business," I guess. Hard to beat a price of $0.00.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I went to my Apple store appointment this morning, if you've never been...WOW! what an experience. About a million techy guys flying around, the place was packed at noon today and they opened at 11:30. Anyway I went with Apple fix which is a phone replacement 149.99, since the company had just given me the phone I didn't want to monkey around with getting it fixed.

Sounds like OTTERBOX is the way to go?? Or LifeProof???

I hate the I store. I got better ways to waste 2 hrs waiting for service so I can spend my money
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

I like the Otterbox. I'm notorious for phone damage. I've left my phone in my pocket twice and sent it thru the washing machine as well as jumping into the pool several times with it in my pocket. Last time I did the pool thing, I realized it immediately, and for the first time I didn't have to replace the phone thanks to the Otterbox. The O-box will protect it from water if you not it right away.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Like the discussion we had on the various smartphones, they're all good. I don't think you can go wrong with the choices you made.

By the way, my cell phone store gave me my Tech21 case for free, too. I don't know why. Been trading there for many years, and have 8 phones on two different plans, so I give them a decent amount of "business," I guess. Hard to beat a price of $0.00.
    My store has got to have the worst selection of cases anywhere. They opened one in Hamburg, guess I need to start going there for everything. Got my Tech21 on ebay. Wasn't bad, but wasn't free. lol.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.