Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Darrell - what S4 case did you get?

Darrell - what S4 case did you get?

I searched the forums, couldn't find the post I was thinking about where you talked about the case you're using for your samsung. I need to get something, thought I'd at least start there.

BTW, found a cool app that puts a FTP server on the phone so I can use my ftp client on my laptop to move files around. Had someone using my phone to take pictures and I was wirelessly downloading them to publish without them missing a beat. Kinda cool.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Re: Darrell - what S4 case did you get?

What kind of case are you looking for? I've always been a big fan of CASE-MATE. I really like the Barely There case.

I've had the S4 since it came out. I've got the ballistic case they carried at the ATT store. not overly bulky and you can still put it in your pocket. Everything I looked at that you could put on a belt clip was to big and bulky for my preference. Don't really like carrying it in my pocket all the time either but haven't really seen anything I liked better that appeared to have reasonable protection. Also got one of the screen covers to protect from scratches.

I remember that thread. Based off suggestions from it I ended up going with this one. http://www.tech21.uk.com/Category/galaxy_s4_cases
    Amazon has them, I've dropped twice, albeit softly and had no damage whatsoever. I love mine.

Same one as Coastie. Tech21 D30 Impact.

Thin, technology of the case material is impressive. I, too have dropped my phone twice, yesterday on my concrete garage floor, but both times it is a soft thud and you knee everything was fine.

They had them in stock in my local store, so I picked out the color I liked, which was the smoke case.

By the way, if you want to look at the original thread, here it is. Just scroll down, as it is later in the discussion.

http://www.kysportsreport.com/forums...ead.php?t=9364

Tech21 Impactology™ approved cases feature D3O®: when your device is dropped, the molecules within D3O® lock together upon impact, absorbing the force and dispersing the energy away from the device creating an added layer of protection. The Impact Shell is a revolutionary design that provides all round Impact Protection, with the sides and back encapsulated within the slim Shell design, protecting of your Samsung Galaxy S4 without adding bulk to your device.

I didn't know what it meant to drop your phone "softly," until this case. Every drop seems to be a "soft" drop. I think it really works as advertised.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 09-18-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Rupp's Runt

When my daughter pointed me towards the I4s, and while we were in the store, I looked around for a case and belt clip. I finally settled on the Lifeproof case and belt clip. Been extremely pleased with them both. I do hace to check the cotter pin on the belt clip about once a week, but aside from that, that is all I have to do.
    And I knew I had made the correct decision when I accidentally dropped my phone while getting out of my truck. I heard a small "thunk", looked down and saw my phone laying on the asphalt. Picked it up, looked at it all over, not a scratch! I have dropped it a couple of times since then, same results.
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post

BTW, found a cool app that puts a FTP server on the phone so I can use my ftp client on my laptop to move files around. Had someone using my phone to take pictures and I was wirelessly downloading them to publish without them missing a beat. Kinda cool.
    I know it's not the same thing, but every pic I take with my camera is automatically uploaded to my Dropbox without me doing anything. I think that's pretty cool, too.

Do you guys have the shell or the mesh Tech21 cases? Trying to figure out the difference. Looks like on Amazon they mostly (only?) have the mesh. I can get the shell on ebay. Also what color did you get? Leaning to "smokey", as that sounds smooth and hip, and that is so very "me".
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

The back of mine is smooth, but almost appears to have a "pebbled" surface (it doesn't). Small dots. See through, but smoky. The sides are almost like tiger-eye brown/black color. I think it looks really sharp. It helped make up for the looks I gave the Nexus credit for having over the S4.

Oh--I don't remember what it was called, but I don't think "mesh" is what you (and I) think it is. That may be what I have; I don't remember.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 09-18-2013 at 12:04 PM.

I am surprised how many of you guys using and Android phone.

At this point, Apple owns me. About 3 days of music and probably 25000 photos. I simply cannot leave the platform. Plus all my family and extended family are Apple so easier to communicate with them.

I had androids for years until 2 1/2 years ago when my son talked me into an iPhone. I’ll never go back.

Apple is great as long as nothing goes wrong and you don't want to fix anything yourself. Otherwise forget it. The irony of their ad in the 1980s with IBM as Big Brother and them smashing him is quite rich. Their consumer design and interface design is unmatched, but you'll do things exactly their way or get lost.

I use Android in part b/c I can actually do things with the phone. For example I can put it in developer mode and hook to my laptop and download actual programs to it without having to pay Android/Google. With Iphone you can now do that but only if you pay them $100 to get a developer license issued so you can sign your apps. Not a big fee, but a good example of the differing approaches.

Also I have zero intention of using MacOS versus Windows. Windows is deeply flawed (Win 10 is better), but it is still largely open. Mac is as locked down as Apple can make it, as is their hardware.

Let's just say I prefer freedom to security.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 07-13-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Rupp's Runt

Don't know the exact numbers but the market share is pretty close to 50/50. Android did lead for a while, but I do believe ios is ahead now.

both are about the same level of invasive. Apple maybe a hair more, but it's the difference between whether China or North Korea is more totalitarian. They both are, it's just a matter of degrees.

I find I can avoid more of it on Android/Windows versus an Apple setup. that's a big issue for me, though it's impossible to avoid it all. Google knows everywhere I go with my phone. And happily tells me so when I pull up Maps.

Oneplus > Apple in every way.

Droidtv alone is enough to keep me on the Android ecosystem, though.

Got a new phone today… iPhone 12, yay me! I swear other than the full screen I don’t see much difference than my iPhone 8s.

I’m sure I’ll start stumbling over stuff as I move along… downloading old phone on to new phone was a snap. No more of that backing it up on iTunes and going through the whole rigga-marole

I will back my new phone up on iTunes/laptop just in case…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire