Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Dove season 2013??

Dove season 2013??

They were thick this year in Shelby Co Ky. On the farm I hunt I estimate somewhere between 450-500 were taken on opening day, and probably another 300-400 yesterday, including my contribution of a limit on both days. Don't ask how many shells I needed.

Anybody else bird hunt? Where did you shoot and how did you do??
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Dove season 2013??

Used to hunt them avidly but not in the last 20 years or so. Hunting area decreased, harder to get on a property because landowners were beginning to have bad experiences. Hunters leaving gates open, drunks leaving their beer cans on the property. Forced the landowners to limit their liability and not allow any hunting. Got to the point that the potential enjoyment was not worth the hassle for me.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

The shoot I've been going to for the last 15 years or so kind of got out of hand about ten years ago, and my bro-in-law who owns the farm basically shut it down. Bro-in-law started letting a friend of his manage it, and they started charging everyone a 35.00 once/year fee which weeded out the partyers and the friends of friends. We've got a pretty good group of thirty or so hunters that have been coming for the last 7-8 years that enjoy layout and the abundance of birds they've managed to bring in yearly. The hunting fees goes back into seed, fertilizer, and fuel etc. etc. that helps cover the expenses to make the hunt happen.

Anyway we got all over them again today... limits all around, and hopefully they'll rebound over the upcoming week and we'll do it all over again next week.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Unforgettable

Sounds like a great hunt

I hunted a lot at Murray while in college. Since I work on opening weekend every year so I am out and miss it

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    Sounds like a great hunt

I hunted a lot at Murray while in college. Since I work on opening weekend every year so I am out and miss it

What we need to do is plant a sunflower patch with some wheat mixed in and we'll have a shoot in your parking lot.

Unforgettable

LOL
    When we hunted at Murray we hunted popcorn fields, I don't know if they still grow that crop in Murray or not but the doves loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    What we need to do is plant a sunflower patch with some wheat mixed in and we'll have a shoot in your parking lot.

Funny you mention that the fields I was in had a couple of one acre fields and about a five acre field with sunflowers planted but yet when we were cleaning birds they mostly had corn and millet in their gullets. Shelbyville has a lot of feed corn in and around it and this year has been an exceptionally good growing year. At around 3:00 to 4:00 pm somebody opened the bird gate and they came in in droves for about two hours straight.

Got after them again today, another 150-200 taken including my limit (15), might try again tomorrow.

Unforgettable

How do you fix them to eat?

QUOTE=blueboss;110701]Got after them again today, another 150-200 taken including my limit (15), might try again tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    How do you fix them to eat?

QUOTE=blueboss;110701]Got after them again today, another 150-200 taken including my limit (15), might try again tomorrow.
    [/QUOTE]

Mostly bacon wrapped on the grill, but found a good marinate recipe with Dales seasoning and beer and then make ka-bobs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmQrL...4D0D3E&index=8