Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Headaches night/morning after exercising?

Headaches night/morning after exercising?

I know that dehydration can cause headaches, so I thought I was being careful. I "ran" 5.5 miles yesterday from about 5:20-6:55 p.m., and it was plenty hot and humid. I brought two thermos bottles of ice water; one an 18 oz container, the other a 24 oz container. I finished the 18 oz container while "running," and by the time I got home, finished the 24 oz container. Refilled it (with some ice, in all occasions), and drank another.

Is that enough? Am I not drinking enough water? The reason I'm asking is that this has happened several times now after exercising--not every time, but sometimes.

I did attend the Barons baseball game earlier in the day from 12 noon to 3 pm, in the sun/cloudy day, but had 2-3 bottles of water while I was there (and even avoided any cold adult beverages).

Dehydration, or just a coincidence?

Unforgettable

Re: Headaches night/morning after exercising?

Darrell I have gotten headaches like that paying golf in real hot weather and drinking ice cold water. A nurse told me the ice water might have caused it, too cold hitting too hot. Now I don't drink ice cold water when playing when it is as hot as it was this weekend, cold water but not ice cold. If you can put some cold water on a towel and cool your head and neck down while exercising or take that frog tog towel with you to keep from getting so hot while running

hydration starts the day before exercise, and then maintaining hydration as you exercise and after starts the process for being properly hydrated for your next exercise. Sounds like you did a good job during but maybe not before.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I'm starting to think it is sinus-related. That's the other common factor--it typically happens after being outdoors for hours. I have horrible allergies--usually indicated by sneezing, eyes watering and red, sometimes runny nose. But occasionally it's just congestion. I have that this morning, and after taking a sudafed, my headache is better, although still there.

It's 11:15 a.m. my time, and I know I'm plenty hydrated now, but the headache, despite two tylenol at 5 a.m., is still with me a little.

Blueboss, good point about the hydration before. I counsel my son all the time about hydrating the morning he will be playing, practicing, etc. and I do not do the same thing. Maybe I've had enough, maybe not.

Jazy, I was running late yesterday so I didn't take the frogg togg towel with me, but you're right, I need to do that for sure. When I start at 5:15, it's still hot and humid. I run a route now that is 0.9 miles (I added going around a soccer field at one point, which makes it more fun for me and it's almost level), and I stop briefly and towel off, and get a drink of water after every "lap." Getting a cold frogg togg around my neck and shoulders will be done Thursday (next time I do this.)

Thanks for your help, guys.

Unforgettable

Probably sinus then. But you need to hydrate all week, not just before, duiing and after. I have gotten where I drink water all day every day. I can tell when I haven't had what I need. A friend has a son that would wait until the day before and day of a football game to get hydrated, would cramp so bad he would pass out. I told him it is a every day process, once he started drinking water every day, the cramps stopped.

On that towel, keep it with you the whole time, and when you stop for the water break, pour a little on it to refresh it for the next lap. Top of the head and the neck is where you need to cool yourself down.

Freshman

It may be just sinus but take it from someone who is in workout mode most of the day, hydration cannot be understated. Most people do not drink anywhere close to enough water every day.

Unforgettable

Jgirl is correct, our muscles need that water as does the urinary tract. I keep 3 bottles in te fridge at the store at all times, and take one with me on the way to work and have a big glass ready for when I get back from my nightly walk. I try fo 60 oz a day.

I have an 18 oz thermos and a 24 oz thermos that is kept with ice water each day I carry with me. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it couldn't be dehydration. I just sweat so much, and my wife said she thought it might be that, I guess I am trained to "yes, dear, you're right" so much I went that direction.

I will exercise again in a few hours and do the same thing. We'll see what happens. I am taking a Claritin now as a preemptive measure in case it is allergies.