Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Dolly Parton - Jolene

Bombino

Dolly Parton - Jolene

Came across this on another site. It is a slowed down version of Jolene by Dolly Parton.

Basically, the 45 rpm was played at 33 1/3. You are left with what becomes a dark almost perfectly sung song (though it sounds like it is sung by a man). At a slower speed any flaws in her singing should be come readily apparent. Clearly, this is not the case (at most you can criticize her overly sillibant S's). Frankly, I think I had often underated her ability. Often assuming she was all flash and no substance. I have to admit I was wrong on that.

Re: Dolly Parton - Jolene

Sounds like Chris Isaak, interesting.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Dolly Parton - Jolene

Interesting experiment. Are there other examples of this with other artists?

I am very impressed with the articulation. I've had a couple of daughters who have received voice lessons, and that's one thing they focus on. I remember my oldest daughter, when she was young, and telling me about some song she was singing. The song had a line in it with something like, "I will meet you," and she told me she sang it more like, "I will meet chew," as many of us will do in everyday speech (try it). The instructor told her that the word was "you," as in, "Meet you," and not "chew," which is something cows do.

Dolly's articulation is terrific, and can really tell it when it is slowed down here.