Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: OT: Ups plane from Louisville has crashed in Birmingham

OT: Ups plane from Louisville has crashed in Birmingham

FAA confirms to CNN a UPS plane has crashed in Birmingham. UPS Flight 1354, an A300 enroute from Louisville, KY to Birmingham.

Airport officials say a large cargo airplane crashed around 5am. Two people on board and unaccounted for right now. Those two are the pilots.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

Re: OT: Ups plane from Louisville has crashed in Birmingham

UPS plane crash site near Birmingham-Shuttlesworth Airport http://twitter.com/spann/status/3676...064769/photo/1

Attached Images Attached Images

Police don't know if the plane hit any houses but it crashed near tarrant heights neighborhood

Firefighters arrived on scene of plane crash near bham airport http://twitter.com/Fox6Clare/status/...146176/photo/1

EXCLUSIVE: this is remain of plane on hillside http://twitter.com/Fox6Clare/status/...156992/photo/1

@AerospaceInfo: "At least three explosions" and debris field for "half a mile" at site of UPS crash

Two fatalities have been confirmed in the crash of UPS flight 1354 at Birmingham-Shuttlesworth Airport

Crash site near Airport Highlands neighborhood.

Local weatherman James Spann is the source of the two fatalities info nobody else is reporting yet. He has an official source that can't be named. He is reliable.

The site of the UPS plane crash in Birmingham, Ala.

Bodies of the two pilots were recovered approximately 100 yards from the fuselage.

Comeback Cat

Prayers to the families. I used to fly with KyANG out of Standiford Field. Lot of KY Guard pilots fly for UPS as their full time job.

Fab Five

Darrell, I am puzzled by the location of the crash. It appears to be at the end of the Short runway at BHM. I did not think the Airbus A300 used that runway.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Bodies of the two pilots were recovered approximately 100 yards from the fuselage.

This was not correct, per a local reporter.

@Fox6Clare: Just interviewed gaynell Hendricks w bham airport authority. She says pilots' bodies are still in the cockpit. She says plane broke in 2

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Darrell, I am puzzled by the location of the crash. It appears to be at the end of the Short runway at BHM. I did not think the Airbus A300 used that runway.
    I really don't know. I wonder if the pilots made a courageous decision to save others by virtue of landing in that hillside field.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I really don't know. I wonder if the pilots made a courageous decision to save others by virtue of landing in that hillside field.

Judging from the location of the Crash site it is at the end of the short runway. Now that runway can technically handle a plane that size. However, it is not, to my knowledge, normally used for those type planes. Maybe cargo is different. The only thing I can imagines is if the plane was low on fuel, landing North-South on that runway would be the shortest path.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post

Judging from the location of the Crash site it is at the end of the short runway. Now that runway can technically handle a plane that size. However, it is not, to my knowledge, normally used for those type planes. Maybe cargo is different. The only thing I can imagines is if the plane was low on fuel, landing North-South on that runway would be the shortest path.
    One witness said the plane sputtered like it was low on fuel, so maybe you have the right reason.

Sent using Forum Runner

Aerial view of plane crash in relation to runway.

Closer pic of crash.

@CharlesABC3340: Flight behavior comparison from yesterday's flight and today's. Same plane. Same route. Thanks @jeremypate for this.

I'm sure we will find out as much info as we can tonight when I get to work. From what I've already heard, the cargo manifests of all the positions on the plane will be gone over with a fine tooth comb, to see if a package had anything to do with it. They'll also investigate the pilots activities over the last few days, as well as the maintenance record of the plane.

Worked there for almost 28 years now, and we'd never had a plane go down. Now 2 in the last 3 years....SUCKS!!!!
    Last edited by Lfbj00; 08-15-2013 at 12:02 AM.
    "It's a mere moment in a man's life between an All-Star Game and an Old-Timers Game." - Vin Scully

UPS takes load planning seriously. I'd highly doubt the load, or shifting of the load is the issue. They load plan to the point of fuel saving at cruise speeds, and have for years. That's one of the functions I had when I worked there years ago.

Mick said on the premie board that ground witnesses saw the plane was aflame while still in the air which would lead you to believe it's a mechanical/fueling issue

I woke up yesterday about 4:45 and read here, then was on twitter when the plane crashed. Woke up today, some time, and didn't want to repeat my routine, but I did check twitter with some irrational trepidation this morning. Glad it was unfounded today.