Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Television Suggestions?

Fab Five

Television Suggestions?

Moving into a new house means a number of things, but one is that it's time for a new television!! I'm probably going to get a 55 inch but am struggling between going LED or plasma. Based on reading and talking to some people the issue for me comes down to the fact that a plasma has a bigger glare problem but is better able to overcome any issues with blurring when watching things, like sports, where there is a lot of motion. The room I'm going to have it in has two windows on either side so I don't think I'll get a lot of glare from windows in front of the television. On the other hand, I know the LED's are brighter which reduces the issue with a darker picture and glare.

To be honest my biggest concern is blurring. I started looking at only 240 mhz (or what is considered 240 mhz) LEDs but the more I read the more I'm wondering if it's really worth the bump in price over a 120 mhz.

I'm not really brand conscious nor do I really want/need a "smart" tv - I need one that is going to turn on and show television. I'd like to keep the price as low as possible as well.

Any suggestions? Not necessarily brand/models although that would be helpful, but more your experiences with blurring with LED televisions.

Thanks!

Re: Television Suggestions?

I don't think a 240 hz TV is necessary to avoid blurring or juttering. I have a Sony Bravia 120 hz and an LG 120 hz and don't have problems with that on either of them.

I would be wary of Sonys. I bought 2 46-inch Bravias in 2009 and 1 of them stopped working a couple of months ago. It just wouldn't turn on--hit the power button, it would start to turn on, then shut itself off. When I called Sony customer support, their assistance consisted of determining I was out of warranty and offering me 15% off a new Sony if I wanted to buy one that day. Took it to a shop and got a $300 quote to replace the power board. I bought an LG 50-inch for $600 at Wal-Mart.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 08-06-2013 at 12:39 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Fab Five

Thanks. Been looking at some LG's so what you have to say is very helpful in that regard.

Sharp Aquous! I have the 60 inch 240mhz and the only downside is, I didn't get the 70". Yes I'm compensating. Otherwise, its the shiznit.

There's a glut of 50" TV's out there which keeps the $$$ down a bit so unless you're feeling strong about that extra 5' you may want to look at those options. I have a 50" LG plasma which has been great and we also have a 50" Toshiba LED we got for a steal back in January. I like both and would let $$$ be the deciding factor.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    There's a glut of 50" TV's out there which keeps the $$$ down a bit so unless you're feeling strong about that extra 5' you may want to look at those options. I have a 50" LG plasma which has been great and we also have a 50" Toshiba LED we got for a steal back in January. I like both and would let $$$ be the deciding factor.
    I have a 50" LG Plasma (50PV450 ) and love it. That being said, without a doubt glare can be an issue. That being said, glare can be an issue on LCD's as well if they are glossy (which some are). When I initially got it, the colors were OK but I couldn't get them to be just right. Luckily, I was able to find a custom calibration profile for my TV that frankly took this TV from good to stunning. Everything is lifelike and very natural, nothing looks overexposed anymore, flesh tones are rendered perfectly etc.

The biggest areas where plasma excels is fast motion and contrast ratio (not the fake dynamic contrast ratio but real deal contrast). The drawbacks are "burn-in", glare, not as bright, etc. In general, plasmas have a much higher quality picture as they are capable of displaying more of the color gamut. If you have a bright room though, I'd go LCD all the way.

I had a 47" Panasonic Plasma TV best picture I've ever seen, however there was a problem with the model. (google 7 blinking lights) there are a bunch of stories where that particular model went black with no picture. My set was 15 months old before it went on the blink and it had a one year warrenty. Panasonic gave me 40% of the original cost and I got a Panasonic LED. I then bought a LG 47" LCD. While both the LED and LCD have great pictures I think the plasma was by far the best. I am currently considering another Panasonic Plasma 50" as it seems they have workeed out the problem that plagued ther other plasma.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    Not necessarily brand/models although that would be helpful, but more your experiences with blurring with LED televisions.

Thanks!
    If I have enough Maker's Mark during the game, they all blur.

Unforgettable

Ian a Sony person, have had 4. Last one I just replace a few months ago that was 9 yrs old and still was fine but wanted a new one. I have a55" led and love the color and no glare problems regardless where I sit or have shades up. In the bedroom we have a 42" and have had it 4 yrs, just beautiful.

I buy inexpensive 50" plasmas. Don't know if manufacturers will keep making them. The unlimited viewing angle is a big plus. I don't watch only ESPN or Fox so burn in is not an issue (those bottom lines burn in plasmas).

Remember 4k is on the way...

Fab Five

Thanks for all the input. At the end of the day I decided to go with a Panasonic plasma. I was able to get it from Amazon for $669.99. I was going back and forth between the one I got and another Panasonic which got one of the highest recommendations ever from CNET, but was about $300 more. The one I got had great reviews from both CNET and from consumers. Also, I realized that a 55" was just too big for the space I had. It's funny how as I've gotten older the desire for the full giant television/multi-media thing has faded. Don't get me wrong, if someone dropped $20,000 in my lap and I had to use it to create a multi-media room, I'd be happy to do it, but at the end of the day, it's just a television.

Well we agree. (Kinda unusual). My Panasonic plasma is 5 years old, still beautiful. One thing I appreciate with your purchase is that the price is within what I paid for nice Sony color TVs decades ago. But look at what we get now!

And adjusted for inflation it's about the price of a 20" RCA

Good luck and go cats!