Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What flashlight do you have?

Re: What flashlight do you have?

Just bought a pair of Defiants. 120 lumen iirc, the 2 for $10 pack. Still need a bigger unit probably, but these will work in a complete pinch. Long term I have the oil lamps, and if it really hits the fan it's a well known fact zombies are flammable.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Just bought a pair of Defiants. 120 lumen iirc, the 2 for $10 pack. Still need a bigger unit probably, but these will work in a complete pinch. Long term I have the oil lamps, and if it really hits the fan it's a well known fact zombies are flammable.
    Wait til you try those bad boys out. Have 6 of them now. I still want a bigger one, too, but those are stout and probably exceed the ratings by a long shot.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by keithksr View Post
    you should have growled at it and marked your territory, just to let the dog know its your neighborhood.
    lol!
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post

You should have growled at it and marked your territory, just to let the dog know its your neighborhood.
    Well, heck. You think I haven't already done that?

Sent using Forum Runner

Man, those Defiant flashlights get great reviews.

Going to try to pick up a Defiant 650 today. It uses the heavier, more expensive, maybe harder to find D-cell batteries, but I'm ok with that, especially with the 6 smaller ones I have that use the AAA batteries.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-6...stomer_reviews

Defiant 650 Lumen Flashlight
    Model # 809-3771-D Internet # 204287899 Store SKU # 1000015067
    4.9 out of 5
    (11) Write a Review
    $19.88 / each

If it is brighter or better made than this one, it is one heck of a light.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Maglite-L...3#.UpjSNHcvxO8
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I doubt seriously it is better made, but it is brighter. 45 lumens vs 650, about half the throw distance. Great deal on the Mag, though.

Sent using Forum Runner

By the way--what is it with flashlights seemingly getting better and better and the cost going down? Mind you, I'm not complaining....like this technology improving and getting cheaper.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    By the way--what is it with flashlights seemingly getting better and better and the cost going down? Mind you, I'm not complaining....like this technology improving and getting cheaper.
    One word, Cree. The same company that introduced the inexpensive led lightbulb that is as good as advertised. If anyone knows LEDs it's Cree; they have been making LEDs for several decades. They are one the big four in performance LEDs (along with Philips Lumileds, Nichia and OSRAM). They are an American company by the way, located in North Carolina. Anyways the Cree XML led was the first to hit 800-1000 lumens output at the emitter (using standard voltages) making 500-600 lumens total output in a flash light an easy task. This led was released about 5-6 years ago. In that time the technology has matured so much that they released the XML2. Which improves the efficiency and performance. Instead of discontinuing the regular XML, they repositioned it as an affordable high output led. The end result is that the XML is now quite inexpensive in 1k+ quantities. Realizing what they had in basically locking down the high powered flashlight market they also released the XB-D which is targeted at low to medium powered lights. This is what's found in 200 lumen lights.

On a related note, iirc home depot also has a retrofit for ceiling can lights aka pot lights that uses Cree leds. This thing has great reviews as well. Though some say they are actually too bright.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 11-30-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Not to bust the thread too much, but LED's are gonna take over from fluorescents and high pressure sodium too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Not to bust the thread too much, but LED's are gonna take over from fluorescents and high pressure sodium too.
    I'm moving to LEDs where I can. Those bulbs you hate to change are ideal for LEDs even at the current price, much less where that price will go. It's a superior technology long term, the only thing I see as really superior to incandescent across the board from production costs to life to disposal.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I'm moving to LEDs where I can. Those bulbs you hate to change are ideal for LEDs even at the current price, much less where that price will go. It's a superior technology long term, the only thing I see as really superior to incandescent across the board from production costs to life to disposal.
    They also have the added benefit of having much higher diversity of application than ccfls. Need the best efficiency then choose it, need the highest cri go for it, need to change colors depending in time/mood/lunar phases you got it. They will eventually allow for complete reimagining of entire lighting systems. Way more than they have now.

Living here by Fort Knox has its advantages.

These grunts in the field get lost a lot. Some can hear a racoon squall, drop their pack, and run like heck toward the nearest street light...and a guy has a civic duty to clean up the mess they leave behind.

I do a pretty good racoon immitation by the way.
    Last edited by kingcat; 12-01-2013 at 11:25 AM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I doubt seriously it is better made, but it is brighter. 45 lumens vs 650, about half the throw distance. Great deal on the Mag, though.

Sent using Forum Runner
    I have not been pleased with the LED lights I have had in the past and the light producing ability has been very sub par, hence my reference to the Maglite. I have had my Maglite for several years and been completely satisfied with its light producing capability. I was picking up a couple of things at the local Home Depot just a short while ago, and they had a large display of the Defiant lights standing in my way taunting me to buy one. I could not resist putting a Defiant to the test.

If you have not already bought one, do not hesitate. Man that thing is very, very bright. I will test it tonight against the Maglite, but I have no doubt which will win. Did I mention that the Defiant is very, very bright? By the way it comes with the 3 D cell batteries one needs to light up the day or night
    seeya
    dan

I have six of the small ones and love them. Can't wait to get a big daddy one. Glad to get a first hand report, Dan. You and Pedro both singing their praises.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I picked up 2 of the Defiants at Home Depot a couple of months ago when we were talking about them. They are great. HD also seems to have the best prices on LED bulbs as well as the flashlights. I can get them cheaper over here at the store than I've found on the net.

Probably going to pick up a couple more when I'm there next. Price is cheap and I could actually use a really bright one for work sometimes. I put the others at the house for emergencies and home use.

After the test last night I still have to give the nod to the Defiant. There is a patch of woods about 400 feet from my front porch and that was the area I illuminated for the test. The Maglite had no trouble reaching the woods, but the area illuminated was about a 20'x20 circle'. It was well lit and I would have no trouble seeing a dog, person etc in that circle. The Defiant illuminated an area approximately 75'x75' and was brighter lit than the previous test with the Maglite.

At close range, it would be no trouble to blind a person temporarily with the Defiant.
    seeya
    dan

Got the 650 3D Defiant today, along with a 200 lumens, 3AA headlamp from Defiant. Looking forward to trying both out tonight.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Bright enough to suit you?
    seeya
    dan

Bombino

I'm waiting to see if D finally found his desired flashlight. I have to say I use my 200 lumen small flashlights ridiculously often. It's the perfect flashlight for me. Small, compact and puts most similar lights to shame. I keep one in the glove box and the other in my toolbox. The larger one is just too bright for indoor use. Frankly, these are the first flashlights in a long time that I haven't been wanting. I did get a kobalt snake light for Xmas, will check it out and let you guys know.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Bright enough to suit you?
    I'm like a kid with a new toy.

My grandmother was poor as dirt. As a little boy, one Christmas she gave me a race car blanket and an all metal flashlight from the hardware store in downtown Hickman. That was one of my favorite Christmas gifts ever. This one is a close second .

Sent using Forum Runner

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    I'm waiting to see if D finally found his desired flashlight. I have to say I use my 200 lumen small flashlights ridiculously often. It's the perfect flashlight for me. Small, compact and puts most similar lights to shame. I keep one in the glove box and the other in my toolbox. The larger one is just too bright for indoor use. Frankly, these are the first flashlights in a long time that I haven't been wanting. I did get a kobalt snake light for Xmas, will check it out and let you guys know.

I love them all. The 6 small ones I have are in various places, including one at my bedside. I also have the big daddy beside my bedside if I go out.

I will probably use the headset more than any when the weather cooperates and I have my night walks. But you wouldn't even want to use it for under the sink work, as it is just too bright. Definitely an outside light. I have cheap $2.99 Harbor Freight headlamps for inside work.

Sent using Forum Runner

Bombino

By the way HD has the 650 lumen flashlights on sale for $9. A steal of a deal.

Rupp's Runt

Check out this flashlight. I just found this a couple of days ago, and they're on sale.

cfx.supertorch.com

I wonder how I'm gonna slip this past the Boss without her noticing.............
    MOLON LABE!

In store only deal. Stores close to me are out of stock. Thanks for the tip anyway. I was set to start Christmas shopping early
    seeya
    dan

I will drop by the one close to me today.

Sent using Forum Runner

I will drop by the one close to me today.

Sent using Forum Runner
    Apparently you won't. What a day for you guys.

I'm going to try to get over there, I need a couple more.

Obviously, you're correct--I didn't make it out. I will today, although the online site shows my local store as out of stock.

It also shows a bunch of the Defiant flashlights on closeout, including some headlamps. Those things are great, and far more useful than that powerful baby (although not as much fun). There are some terrific prices on it; all in-store only, so just head over to your local store and browse. I intend to do that today some time after I catch up on a few things. And after Matt Elam announces. Probably more in that order.

Well, that stunk. Went to my local Home Depot, and they had zero--none--of any of the Defiant flashlights that are on clearance. Not just the model Pedro mentioned, which is the "cool" one, but none of the headlamps (I wanted to pick up several of those, too) and others.

I may try one in another part of town tomorrow if I get a chance, but that's a bummer.

Bombino

Well, that stunk. Went to my local Home Depot, and they had zero--none--of any of the Defiant flashlights that are on clearance. Not just the model Pedro mentioned, which is the "cool" one, but none of the headlamps (I wanted to pick up several of those, too) and others.

I may try one in another part of town tomorrow if I get a chance, but that's a bummer.
    You can check online before going. It's usually reasonably accurate.