Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What flashlight do you have?

Re: What flashlight do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    boss, are you into underwater photography?
    Not so much anymore, back in the late 70's and early 80's I was doing some hard hat stuff in the gulf. SCUBA was kind of a bus mans holiday and I dabbled in it in my spare time. I went to school down in Doc's neck of the woods at FIT. Now and again I like to get out and just plant myself and watch the underwater world go by maybe snag a bug or two for dinner. I prefer early evening and dusk dives right when everything starts winding up and gets going. Underwater photography has come a long way and is a lot more simplistic in regards to equipment but still requires a lot of things coming together to minimize the frustration. I suppose I've grown more sedentary when it comes to being underwater.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Way cool boss. My only venture into the art was from snorkeling 10 to 15 feet deep, always in the daylight and never deep enough to need the lights. I tried SCUBA, but could never work out relieving the pressure in the nasal cavities. I would have loved to be able to do it, but it just was not meant to be for me.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Still amazes me that we don't spend as much time exploring down as we do up. SCUBA technology has also come a long way but Charles/Boyles and Henry's laws are still unbendable (no pun intended)
    Last edited by blueboss; 07-24-2013 at 09:46 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    What calibers does it come in? nothing says home defense like a 12 gauge flashlight.
    Agree with that Chuck However when you turn the strobe light on in someones face their vision is gone. If someone breaks into a home you can effectively beat the hell out of someone with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Still amazes me that we don't spend as much time exploring down as we do up. SCUBA technology has also come a long way but Charles/Boyles and Henry's laws are still unbendable (no pun intended)
    Yeah I had to memorize the charts in class before they would even let me in the pool.
    seeya
    dan

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Bought the two mini lights tonight Pedro recommended. Two for $9? Crazy.

Tested tonight on my walk. I know stop signs are highly reflective, but it illuminated the stop sign that is 815 yards from my house. My daughter and son saw it and couldn't believe it. Then on the way around, at the top of the hill maybe 150 yards further, tried it again, and boom, it did again.

Clean white light, beautiful circle, almost a mini flood.

Nice pick.

I went to the store by my house and they were supposed to have 16 in stock of that 493 lumens one, 3C cell. Unfortunately, they couldn't find any.

They did have a 590 lumens D cell, but didn't have the range, etc. of the other one. But really, now I'm fine with these two small ones and probably get the bat flashlight one. That will be a good combination for me.

Sent using Forum Runner

Glad you like it. These are amazing lights for the price. At $9 for two, even if you drop it down the drain or perform a Darryl-ectomy on it trying to upgrade its RAM you aren't out enough to worry much (if at all). Also, try taking the lens/reflector unit off and see how good it is at filling a room like a candle. The uniformity of output is really striking.

My wife saw it and when I told her the price, she asked me to go buy more packages of them.

I did put one in the kitchen, turned out the light, took the reflector thing off, and amazing uniformity in the room. Those are winners.

Now that I have those and see what they do, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the bat light for my other one I wanted. Maybe I'll go back and look at that other Defiant one, too. Very cool stuff in this thread; I think this is one of those categories where there are a bunch of great choices.

Quote Originally Posted by BarristerCat View Post
    Speaking of which, I'm in the market for a rail mount light for a .45. Got any recommendations on such a thing?
    Picatinny? Do you already have a laser? You could look at the combo units Crimson Trace makes if you want both but it's really gun dependent. I don't use a light but people seem to like the Streamlights a lot, run $100 to $200 for their best stuff. They have them with and without remote switches. Look at their TLR-1 if you want a good one that can install on Glocks or most handgun rails. No remote switch but good switch placement from what I've seen. IMO a laser needs grip pressure switch but the light is something you'll turn on and leave on and I think I'd go with a separate switch for one if I were picking.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by ukblue View Post
    Agree with that Chuck However when you turn the strobe light on in someones face their vision is gone. If someone breaks into a home you can effectively beat the hell out of someone with it as well.
    Don't want to hijack the thread but tactically people forget about vision in a night time home situation. In the gun world the first thing that happens if you fire a gun indoors at night is everyone is blind and deaf. Some even train to close their eyes at the last moment before firing then opening them to keep from being blinded by the flash.

A flashlight will work, but my 357 will have the neighbors seeing spots for a week.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Great timing b/c I took 3 to a sale yesterday for inspections and all 3 gave me some troubles. Looks like one of the local HDs has some left, going to grab them up.

Get that 2-pack for $9. I have used both of them on two successive nights for an hour each night. Used to work under the sink yesterday and to hunt in the garage tonight, which made it look like daylight. These are very small, fit in the palm of your hand and bet you'll find they do exactly what you need.

Darell, DO NOT price IKELITE. The part of your brain responsible for reserved spending habits will wiggle and squirm if you do, giving you a headache that could last a day or two.
    lol. I inadvertently ran across a FLASHLIGHT that was almost $400 on one site--maybe it was that one. It hurt my eyes and I had to turn away immediately--not the flashlight, but seeing the $360 or whatever it was in print.

I'm a $20-25 splurge for a flashlight kinda guy so the prices some of these can reach does hurt my brain. It would hurt me to spend $50. I know you get value for those things, and they are very useful tools, and really, it's worth it. But still...

Quote Originally Posted by BarristerCat View Post
    As far as handheld flashlights go, I really can't say enough about Surefire and Streamlight LED lights. My small, pocketable Streamlight puts out far more light to my eye (so, I'm talking practical light, not lumens) than the biggest Mag lite they make. Also, they seem to be quite a bit tougher. I assume that's because Mag lites use a traditional element that can break when it is hot and takes a hit.

Of course, it also depends on how you use and treat your stuff. I'm the type that takes pretty good care of my stuff and I rarely lose anything. So, spending some money on a flashlight isn't as big a deal to me because I'll almost definitely have the thing for 10+ years.
    I saw

Two 3V CR123A lithium batteries included

Are those button cell type batteries? What is their cost, and how long do they last?

Oh--ukblue, or really any one--

If you got that "strobe" light setting on, would it disorient, say, a charging dog, too? Or would their sense of smell be so good they would just proceed forward?

I would try to shine the light I am carrying in their eyes to see if it slowed them down before taking any other defensive action in the event they charged, but was curious as to whether something like that may be effective.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Picatinny? Do you already have a laser? You could look at the combo units Crimson Trace makes if you want both but it's really gun dependent. I don't use a light but people seem to like the Streamlights a lot, run $100 to $200 for their best stuff. They have them with and without remote switches. Look at their TLR-1 if you want a good one that can install on Glocks or most handgun rails. No remote switch but good switch placement from what I've seen. IMO a laser needs grip pressure switch but the light is something you'll turn on and leave on and I think I'd go with a separate switch for one if I were picking.
    BarristerCat- CBBN is right on the money. Lasers......there's several types of lasers that you can attach to a .45 with a built in picatinny rail, but you also get side mount lasers too. It's all a matter of what is most expedient and comfortable for you.
    The flashlight/laser combos are nice, but pretty pricey and also can make your handgun feel a bit "clunky" until you get used to it.
    Here with my agency most of our uniform deputies have a flashlight mounted to their handguns. I do not, but I don't patrol at night anymore, hence the Fenix TK10 on my duty belt.
    As with many things in life, it's all a matter of what will work best for you and whatever your personal preference may be.
    MOLON LABE!

Oh--ukblue, or really any one--

If you got that "strobe" light setting on, would it disorient, say, a charging dog, too? Or would their sense of smell be so good they would just proceed forward?

I would try to shine the light I am carrying in their eyes to see if it slowed them down before taking any other defensive action in the event they charged, but was curious as to whether something like that may be effective.
    Hey, I'm "anyone"!

With dogs I'm not sure but I'm going to bet my $5 it's far less effective for two reasons. First it's almost bound to be outdoors and outdoors you have a lot more ambient light than the theoretical home defense scenario with all the lights out, so the eyes aren't as dark adjusted and thus the sudden light might not have as much impact and be as overwhelming for the eyes.

Mostly though I'd say dogs are less dependent on vision anyway, they can literally smell you and locate you blind, so while on a given dog it may think twice and work, their other senses would be able to give them a big edge over a person if they weren't dissuaded by the shock of it. I wouldn't rely on it nearly as much as with a person b/c we're so universally sight dependent. I wouldn't be surprised if dogs didn't adjust quicker optically either, but that's pure conjecture on my part. Humans from a purely mechanical standpoint have so many weaknesses compared to animals I wouldn't be surprised if this weren't another one.

They sell pepper spray and stun guns that have strobes on them for just this effect, as well as to attract attention and thus discourage an attack from a person. Also super loud sirens. There are some good off the shelf disorientation devices, and for dogs I'd like the idea of one with the loud siren on it as well. that's one place they may be more sensitive, and it of course also attracts potential help.

I think I'll have to get the "bat light," then, for purposes other than the strobe--although I don't mind using it initially in case it works.

Sort of a 3-part defense system. Blind them with the strobe light, club them, and if necessary, eliminate the threat entirely.

Pedro--not only do I like those two small Defiant lights, I picked up 4 more yesterday (two packages), 6 flashlights total. Going to spread them around the house so I can find one when I need it. Very nice flashlight.

Speaking of nice flashlight, they had the one similar to the one you described in stock yesterday. 493 lumens, 445 meter throw rating, 3 C cell batteries, $22.93. I did not buy it, but I held it for awhile. I may go back and get it. I am between that one and the "bat light" described above. Since I often walk around midnight in my dark neighborhood, and would not mind having one that is sorta designed for use as a hand-held baton type weapon, I probably will still go with the bat light. I just need to justify getting both, I suppose.

Oh--I will say that there is very little ambient light in the areas I describe. We have an occasional street light, but not many. I live outside the city limits, and private individuals have to spring for them here. You can get a good deal on them, but most don't bother, so our streets are very dark, especially around 10pm-midnight, when I typically walk.

Darrell, another positive point on the bat light is that it is so slender it is extremely easy to store. I keep one behind my truck seat in the same place that I keep my atlas.

Do you have the one with AA batteries or C cell? Does it have enough heft to it with the small batteries?

Sent using Forum Runner

FWIW, I had a large dog viciously charge me at a gallop growling and barking last night during a brief walk. It left its yard, crossed the street, and hit the street I was walking on (with my back initially turned to it.)

I turned to see it charging, and shined the 200 lumens or so directly in its face, and it stopped cold maybe 10 feet from me, a very scary episode. I would do almost anything to avoid hurting an animal, probably somebody's pet, but the line is where it endangers me. I am glad it stopped.

A bat light would make me feel better.

Sent using Forum Runner

The one I have uses the AA batteries Darrell and it's great and has plenty of heft. The hd aluminum body is all that you need for multi purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by ukblue View Post
    The one I have uses the AA batteries Darrell and it's great and has plenty of heft. The hd aluminum body is all that you need for multi purposes.
    Great, thanks.

Sent using Forum Runner

Darrell, it might be a good idea to consult suncat on duty belts. Cell phone, sidearm, pepper spray, bat light, first aid kit. Have you ever considered walking in the daylight?
    seeya
    dan

Darrell, it might be a good idea to consult suncat on duty belts. Cell phone, sidearm, pepper spray, bat light, first aid kit. Have you ever considered walking in the daylight?
    Or at least doing some crime fighting along with the walk. Just needs a cape and a grappling hook. Walking up the outside of buildings has to burn calories like crazy.

Man has to work.

Just finished 3,000+ steps before 10pm. For most days, that will be about as early as possible.

Sent using Forum Runner

Rupp's Runt

Pepper spray 'usually' works pretty well on canines. Raccoons, possums, cats, foxes, assorted wild dogs.......I'm not gonna lie to you, I have had to "gas" my share of animals, either 4 or 2 legged, but the pepper spray will usually get the job done. I have had to shoot and kill 2 pitbulls that assorted nasty citizens have tried to put on me for nefarious reasons, but discounting those two incidents the pepper spray works fine.
    It's the 2 legged animals that concern me the most.
    MOLON LABE!

I saw

Two 3V CR123A lithium batteries included

Are those button cell type batteries? What is their cost, and how long do they last?
    This is a 3 volt camera type battery, it is the one shaped like regular alkaline batteries, looks about the same diameter as a AA, but shorter. Official dimensions are 34.5 mm high with a diameter of 1.7 mm. Most I have seen are lithium, so longevity is better than alkaline batteries. You can get rechargeable versions and those that are not rechargeable.

My next flashlight purchase will be a light with the Cree XM-L LED circuit and rechargeable 18650 batteries. The 18650 is a rechargeable 3.7 volt Lithium-ion battery that is 18.6 mm in diameter by 65.2 mm high. Some of these lights also come with alkaline battery cradles, adding flexibility to the light.

I've got four incandescent Maglites, two 3D lights, a 2D light and a mini 2AA size. I prefer the LED lights now available. I have a cheap headlamp I picked up for $4, an inexpensive LED light that uses three AAA batteries, and a Brinkman LED light I got at Walmart on clearance for around $12 5 or 6 years ago.

The Brinkman is about 6 in long, the barrel is about 1 in in diameter, the business end is about 1.5 in in diameter. Drops easily into my pocket, and is solidly built. It is the light I usually reach for.

The little LED lights are brighter than my bigger Maglites and batteries last much longer.

I've got some really cheap LED lights that take 3 AAA batteries, one was free when I had a Harbor Freight purchase, got a couple more for $3 at Harbor Freight. Got a couple that were political campaign giveaways. These are all about 3/4 in in diameter, about 3 in long. Great for leaving in the car, have two at school, one in the emergency supplies and another in my desk drawer. Batteries really last, and for the size they are great to have when needed.

FWIW, I had a large dog viciously charge me at a gallop growling and barking last night during a brief walk. It left its yard, crossed the street, and hit the street I was walking on (with my back initially turned to it.)

I turned to see it charging, and shined the 200 lumens or so directly in its face, and it stopped cold maybe 10 feet from me, a very scary episode. I would do almost anything to avoid hurting an animal, probably somebody's pet, but the line is where it endangers me. I am glad it stopped.

A bat light would make me feel better.

Sent using Forum Runner
    You should have growled at it and marked your territory, just to let the dog know its your neighborhood.

Bombino
    By the way supposedly the Defiant lights are actually made by Brinkman for Home Depot

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4