Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What flashlight do you have?

What flashlight do you have?

We have about one gazillion flashlights, most of which are junk, I think.

Picked up three headlamps from Harbor Freight a couple of weeks ago just to throw in the trunks of cars in case got somewhere and needed a flashlight. Think I paid $3.99 for each of them. Have used one a few times already, and for a cheap light, it works well.

Son has a nice headlamp he paid about $40 for, but not sure of the brand/model.

We've had some Maglites over the years--do not know where a single one is today.

One of my favorites is a basic "C-cell" flashlight that has a vinyl-covered metal "cord" at the end of it, with a clip at the end. It lets you unclip it, take the cord out, then wrap the cord around something and reclip it. Basically, instead of just a hook at the bottom, you can hook it around anything--a bicycle handlebars, the handle of a refrigerator, a paper towel dispenser--anything.

Anyway, I'm looking to get another flashlight because I am walking so much at night in my neighborhood--which is extremely dark. I do not live within city limits, and there are very few street lights in my area. I walk often between 11 pm and midnight, and it would be good to have a decent flashlight to be carrying--or wearing.

What do you have? And no, I'm not going to buy some $100-200 flashlight that burns paper it's so bright. But I would like to have a bright flashlight with good battery endurance, and maybe a headlamp one. Just seems to make more sense to wear one rather than carry one.

Re: What flashlight do you have?

Which one?

1 Maglite 3 D cell
    2 Maglite minis
    1 LED mini
    1 LED headlamp
    1 carbide lantern
    1 6 volt lantern
    1 million candlepower spotlight with 12 volt plug in adapter

And yes I know exactly where all of them are
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 07-20-2013 at 01:13 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Got 2 for $3 from Wal-Mart.

Maglite mini would be great for walking. Plenty of power and I use rechargeable batteries in mine. Gander Mountain has a great little LED headlamp, that runs on 3 triple a batteries. Really comfortable 2 piece headband and plenty of light for walking.

Both run about 20 bucks including throw away batteries. Maglite comes with a wrist strap
    seeya
    dan

Unforgettable

I am like dan, like the mag lites, and the mini would be perfect. Now if you feel there oculd be danger at any point, go with a bigger one that you could use for protection, and I have the halogen light bulbs. very bright. I bought 3 last year at Lowes on special.

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    I am like dan, like the mag lites, and the mini would be perfect. Now if you feel there oculd be danger at any point, go with a bigger one that you could use for protection, and I have the halogen light bulbs. very bright. I bought 3 last year at Lowes on special.
    I keep something else with me for protection, but I do need a good flashlight.

Sent using Forum Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I keep something else with me for protection, but I do need a good flashlight.

Sent using Forum Runner
    I keep telling you that cease and desist letter won't do as much as you think....

I don't need a flashlight. I've spent so much time as a night owl I actually see better in the dark. I really do need better flashlights. Have oil lamps for power outages but my phone isn't the world's best flashlight.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

I have several Maglites, one in each of our POV's, bunches of cheapie flashlights from Guide Gear that I have the "Boss" keep in her purse(s), as well as my daughter, and keep in strategically located places around the house.
    I have a Fenix TK10 that I carry on my duty belt. I really, really like that flashlight, very bright, not heavy in relation to all of the other crap I have to keep on my duty rig, and even though I work almost exclusively days it does come in very handy from time to time. It was kinda pricey though when I bought it about 5 years ago, but it has been worth every penny.
    We keep lots of candles for power outtages around the house.
    MOLON LABE!

Bombino

Most of the brightest flashlights use the Cree XM-L LED.

I have two major flashlights that I use. They are both from Home Depots christmas sale.

The one I like the most is a Defiant 500 Lumen Cree XM-L flashlight. This is a true 500-550 lumen based on what i have seen, not a listed 1000 Lumen LED but only puts out 400 lumens. It uses 3 C batteries, which actually is nice, because most flashlights use D-Cells. A guy I know who got hit by hurricane Sandy said when you went to the store D-cells were GONE but he had no problem snatching up a bunch of C-cells at a couple of places. The best part is it was an x-mas special and was only around $20 after tax. This light has great reviews on the candlepower forums and infact a youtube review mentions that it compares VERY favorably with the Fenix TK41 800 (which is over $100).

The other I use for tighter space work is a Defiant 100 lumen which came in a 2 pack for $9+tax. These actually put out closer to 200lumens according to the candlepower forums. They are great for tighter up work and feel very nice in the hand. Especially when you consider the $5/pc price. More importantly, the emitter in these lights are about the BEST for candle mode (remove the reflector and let the LED shine like the old mag lights) that I have ever seen. Perfectly even and wide flood.

These things aren't perfect but they are amazing lights for the price and have handled almost daily use for over 7 mo with no problems at all.
    Last edited by PedroDaGr8; 07-21-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Most of the brightest flashlights use the Cree XM-L LED.

I have two major flashlights that I use. They are both from Home Depots christmas sale.

The one I like the most is a Defiant 500 Lumen Cree XM-L flashlight. This is a true 500-550 lumen based on what i have seen, not a listed 1000 Lumen LED but only puts out 400 lumens. It uses 3 C batteries, which actually is nice, because most flashlights use D-Cells. A guy I know who got hit by hurricane Sandy said when you went to the store D-cells were GONE but he had no problem snatching up a bunch of C-cells at a couple of places. The best part is it was an x-mas special and was only around $20 after tax. This light has great reviews on the candlepower forums and infact a youtube review mentions that it compares VERY favorably with the Fenix TK41 800 (which is over $100).

The other I use for tighter space work is a Defiant 100 lumen which came in a 2 pack for $9+tax. These actually put out closer to 200lumens according to the candlepower forums. They are great for tighter up work and feel very nice in the hand. Especially when you consider the $5/pc price. More importantly, the emitter in these lights are about the BEST for candle mode (remove the reflector and let the LED shine like the old mag lights) that I have ever seen. Perfectly even and wide flood.

These things aren't perfect but they are amazing lights for the price and have handled almost daily use for over 7 mo with no problems at all.
    Couple o-questions, great one.

First, does Home Depot carry those in store? The link has them as discontinued online.

Second, is this correct?--I read (from some link, somewhere, while searching for those Defiant brands) a discussion that claimed something like a 500 lumens flashlight isn't 4x brighter than a 125 lumens flashlight; it's only like 40% brighter--a significant improvement, to be sure, but if you're looking at a Mag lite at 125 lumens that claims a 79-hour battery life, and a 500 lumens Defiant with an 8-hour battery life, it might make me tend toward the former, rather than the latter, especially if I'll be using it a ton.

Here's the 131-lumens Mag lite--it's 3D cell, rather than 3C (I do like the idea of C batteries, rather than D, if I can get it), but that 79-hour run time is insane, even if it's only a fraction of it in real life.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=12080369

Review:
    http://www.geartechreviews.com/magli...shlight-review

(Note--in doing some digging, it looks like what happens is it goes down to like 40% of normal power in about the same 8 hours the 2-Cell one uses up. From there, it just barely diminishes over time. At 79 hours or so, it's at 10% brightness, or about 13 lumens. So if you're really needing 130+ lumens, you won't have it long, and if you need even 50-60 lumens, you will only have that about 8 hours. But if you want to just have one around, with spare batteries for the major power, and it "always" working otherwise, just for a small light, that battery life is crazy.)
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 07-22-2013 at 12:15 AM.

Wow, this discussion of run time is interesting. Just for the heck of it (I am not in the market for one of those expensive Suncat type premium flashlights, although I'd love to have one), I took a look at a Fenix. Here is the run time on this bad boy:

Output/Runtime:
    Low: 5 Lumens/160 Hours
    Medium: 80 Lumens/20 Hours
    High: 190 Lumens/7 Hours 30 Minutes
    Turbo: 520 Lumens/2 Hours 10 Minutes

So you can get great run time (20 hours) out of good lumens (80)--but if you turn that baby on 520, you're down to 2 hrs or so. I guess that's ok, especially since the 190 would probably do everything you'd ever need, and it's 7-1/2 hrs.

Rupp's Runt

Just off the top of my head, I don't remember how many lumens I have at my command, but my Fenix only has 2 settings, high & low. I keep it on low, which for my purposes is plenty, and at that setting IIRC, I have enough battery to last me for about 10-12 hours.
    And yeah, it was a little pricey when I bought it, but it had excellent independent reviews and it is an excellent product.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's made in............China.
    MOLON LABE!

I've tried every headlamp coming and going, and for my money it's Petzl every time. They are well made. The light is bright and holds up well. The strap doesn't lose it's shape after a few uses like many of the cheaper ones I've tried. Also, on all the Petzl lights I've had the position/angle of the light itself is adjustable. Other lights have that feature, but the Petzl is the only one I've had where the light actually stays in the position that you put it in.

As far as handheld flashlights go, I really can't say enough about Surefire and Streamlight LED lights. My small, pocketable Streamlight puts out far more light to my eye (so, I'm talking practical light, not lumens) than the biggest Mag lite they make. Also, they seem to be quite a bit tougher. I assume that's because Mag lites use a traditional element that can break when it is hot and takes a hit.

Of course, it also depends on how you use and treat your stuff. I'm the type that takes pretty good care of my stuff and I rarely lose anything. So, spending some money on a flashlight isn't as big a deal to me because I'll almost definitely have the thing for 10+ years.
    I wouldn't pull for UofL if they were playing the Taliban.

Unforgettable

Stream light makes a good one, I really get a lot of run time on my mags, can't say for sure because I haven't replace batteries yet .

Got a bat light. About 16" long with a coarse grip on it and it looks like a small bat. Has 3 setting on it, the 1st is 200 lumens with amazing distance on the beam. The 2nd setting is 100 lumens and the 3rd is a strobe light which destroys night vision on the receiving end. A amazing and useful light.

ukblue, you got my interest up and I had to google for a bat light. That is pretty cool
    seeya
    dan

It's a useful home defense item as well Dan. If you get one you will not be disappointed.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Couple o-questions, great one.

First, does Home Depot carry those in store? The link has them as discontinued online.

Second, is this correct?--I read (from some link, somewhere, while searching for those Defiant brands) a discussion that claimed something like a 500 lumens flashlight isn't 4x brighter than a 125 lumens flashlight; it's only like 40% brighter--a significant improvement, to be sure, but if you're looking at a Mag lite at 125 lumens that claims a 79-hour battery life, and a 500 lumens Defiant with an 8-hour battery life, it might make me tend toward the former, rather than the latter, especially if I'll be using it a ton.

Here's the 131-lumens Mag lite--it's 3D cell, rather than 3C (I do like the idea of C batteries, rather than D, if I can get it), but that 79-hour run time is insane, even if it's only a fraction of it in real life.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...uctId=12080369

Review:
    http://www.geartechreviews.com/magli...shlight-review

(Note--in doing some digging, it looks like what happens is it goes down to like 40% of normal power in about the same 8 hours the 2-Cell one uses up. From there, it just barely diminishes over time. At 79 hours or so, it's at 10% brightness, or about 13 lumens. So if you're really needing 130+ lumens, you won't have it long, and if you need even 50-60 lumens, you will only have that about 8 hours. But if you want to just have one around, with spare batteries for the major power, and it "always" working otherwise, just for a small light, that battery life is crazy.)
    There is no magic to this. All of the brightest flashlights use the same LED (though the optics can play a role its a difference of around 20% not of 100's of %). Quite simply, the brighter the flashlight the shorter the battery life.

This flashlight worked just fine for me with the included cheapie C cells. Its contruction is solid but I wouldn't call it premium. Fine threaded joints rubber O-rings on each joint etc. For the price its killer there are better flashlights out there but you will pay 3x as much. Personally, I like having a flashlight that I don't freak out if I drop it off the car and scratch the heck out of it.

Very cool light, ukblue. Reasonably priced, too (I thought it was going to be one of Suncat's high dollar items, and it's in the ballpark. Get it--in the ballpark? I amuse myself).

Great look. Like the 100 lumens setting for 8 hours with 4AA's. Can get those on sale for about $0.20-0.25 each, so for a buck you can get 8 hours or so at a nice, bright setting, and if you need to, you can get more (I was going to say double, but I now know that 200lumens is not double 100 lumens.)

Fascinated by all the flashlight buffs out there. I do want to get a couple of "good" flashlights, but I'm more in the $15-30 range, not the $100+ range. This barely sneaks in under the wire.

Quote Originally Posted by ukblue View Post
    It's a useful home defense item as well Dan. If you get one you will not be disappointed.
    About the size of a billy club, ukblue? Decent weight, but not too heavy?

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    Stream light makes a good one, I really get a lot of run time on my mags, can't say for sure because I haven't replace batteries yet .
    Maglite is certainly in the running...not that they need my one or two. I know they sell a ton of them. Lot of happy customers for years.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    There is no magic to this. All of the brightest flashlights use the same LED (though the optics can play a role its a difference of around 20% not of 100's of %). Quite simply, the brighter the flashlight the shorter the battery life.

This flashlight worked just fine for me with the included cheapie C cells. Its contruction is solid but I wouldn't call it premium. Fine threaded joints rubber O-rings on each joint etc. For the price its killer there are better flashlights out there but you will pay 3x as much. Personally, I like having a flashlight that I don't freak out if I drop it off the car and scratch the heck out of it.
    I found a Defiant at Home Depot; not the same exact one you posted, but another one with 3C, 493 lumens, for about $23. It looks great. Throws nearly 500 YARDS. CRAZY.

Right now I'm looking at 6 different ones. I'm thinking buying one to carry, one for small spaces, and a headlamp.

* The Defiant above ($23). How can you not love a 1450+ foot carry distance at that lumens? Very strong contender at that price and feature. By the way--I LOVE the on/off, no frills part of the flashlight. I know it's cool to have strobe (defensive, too), and low and high settings, etc., but I just like to click a button and it work.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-L...3#.Ue3-vGfzvfs

* The Defiant mini-lights ($9). For that price, it's ridiculous not to get that, almost no matter what.

* The Defiant headlamp ($18)--I love headlamps, and this 7-lamp one looked good, with good reviews. I'm not big on "frills,' but for something like this--yeah, I dig that it has a red light setting in addition to the normal setting (two other settings, too). 110 lumens is nice.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-7...1#.Ue4AdWfzvfs

((But also greatly considering--and probably leading--with this one--
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-3...3#.Ue4A_2fzvfs

3-pack, 5 LED headlight, only $15, with high and low setting. Can get one of these to "wear" for safety on low setting and save battery power, too. Didn't see the lumens, know it will be less but ok with that.

* The Maglite with 3D cells. ($27). Here's the camo version. I think it's cool you can go on "ultra-battery saving mode" and milk it up to 79 hours.
    http://www.amazon.com/MAGLITE-ST3DMR.../dp/B001DZO7KU

4.9/5.0 stars with 105 reviews. That's pretty dang strong. 95 of 105 are 5-star, 8 4-star, 1 3-star and an isolated 1-star that claimed false advertising, and it wasn't really LED.

* The Bat Light ($28)
    http://www.amazon.com/Nebo-5904-PROT...pr_product_top

* The Rayovac indestructible ($25). Tough as nails, 140 lumens, 3C cell. 38 hours on "high," 85 hours on the low setting of 45 lumens.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rayovac-I...stomer_reviews

Man, those are cool flashlights.

Darryl, the light is made out of heavy duty aluminum and is very sturdy.

MagLite 3D cells in the car

MiniMag here, there, and everywhere

IkeLite underwater lite...well for underwater and also one in the sock drawer for power outages, it turns any dark room into high noon.

MiniMag is a good tool to use to site in your shotgun for bird season.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Darell, DO NOT price IKELITE. The part of your brain responsible for reserved spending habits will wiggle and squirm if you do, giving you a headache that could last a day or two.
    seeya
    dan

boss, are you into underwater photography?
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by ukblue View Post
    What calibers does it come in? nothing says home defense like a 12 gauge flashlight.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    What calibers does it come in? nothing says home defense like a 12 gauge flashlight.
    Speaking of which, I'm in the market for a rail mount light for a .45. Got any recommendations on such a thing?
    I wouldn't pull for UofL if they were playing the Taliban.

Bought the two mini lights tonight Pedro recommended. Two for $9? Crazy.

Tested tonight on my walk. I know stop signs are highly reflective, but it illuminated the stop sign that is 815 yards from my house. My daughter and son saw it and couldn't believe it. Then on the way around, at the top of the hill maybe 150 yards further, tried it again, and boom, it did again.

Clean white light, beautiful circle, almost a mini flood.

Nice pick.

I went to the store by my house and they were supposed to have 16 in stock of that 493 lumens one, 3C cell. Unfortunately, they couldn't find any.

They did have a 590 lumens D cell, but didn't have the range, etc. of the other one. But really, now I'm fine with these two small ones and probably get the bat flashlight one. That will be a good combination for me.

Sent using Forum Runner
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 07-23-2013 at 10:54 PM.