Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Praise for an inexpensive, yet quality product

Praise for an inexpensive, yet quality product

I am often critical of products that do not do what they are supposed to do, are cheaply made, do not hold up, etc., particularly when they come with a premium price.

So when I get something that is inexpensive, and does the job, I think it is noteworthy.

This time it is the

Omron HJ-321 Tri-axis Pedometer with Calories Burned

It's a very basic pedometer. It comes with a clip, and no other frills. It measures steps. Yes, there's a conversion thing you can do to click it over where it measures distance too, as well as calories burned, but those are gimmicks to me (i.e., the distance is just a function of the number of steps x the measurement you input for your average step distance.)

What really floats my boat are these factors.

1) It is insanely accurate. Yes, it will miss steps if you're bouncing around your house. But if you go for a walk, count your steps to 100, 200, etc.--it will be dead on accurate. It is not a "pendulum" type pedometer like other cheap pedometers, but a tri-axis accelerometer

2) It is accurate if it is on your belt, or even if you are carrying it in your pocket. Now, I carry it on my belt, but I have put it in my pocket, and at least in my limited trials--it works. So if I'm in an environment where I want to just put it in the pocket, I can.

3) It resets every day automatically at midnight. Now, for some, you might think that's a bad thing. But here's the kicker--it keeps 7 days worth of steps "history" for you to review. So if it's after midnight, and you look at it, and it says 0, and you are recording your steps--as I am--no worries about missing a day. It's still there. I LOVE that feature. I have been keeping a spreadsheet of my steps for 2 months now, and it makes it easy to input 2 or 3 days if I get behind.

4) The price. At Academy, it's $22. At Amazon, it is $16.73.

Fab Five

Re: Praise for an inexpensive, yet quality product

Does this mean I'm going to have to wear a belt when I go for a jog?

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    and pants.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Nah. If you wear running shorts, it clips on great to the waistband itself.

Now, if you are not wearing pants...

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Nah. If you wear running shorts, it clips on great to the waistband itself.

Now, if you are not wearing pants...
    Now that's only if I'm running after midnight and only if I had to jump out the bedroom window first
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 07-19-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Now that's only if I'm running after midnight and only if I had to jump out the bedroom window first
    It won't be nearly as accurate if it's clipped to your pants but your pants are in your hands as you run.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Lol

You could clip it elsewhere, I guess, but it might be painful...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forum Runner