Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Top Five Bourbons

I'm asking. Toss in best distillery tour if you can. I believe you guys have some opinions.

Re: Top Five Bourbons

I'm sure this thread will spark some responses. I don't have a top 5, just a top 1. The only thing I drink predominantly.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed. 108.6 proof. Chilled in the freezer. Straight, or with 7-up. Won't touch any bourbon mixed with coke...too sweet for me.
    "It's a mere moment in a man's life between an All-Star Game and an Old-Timers Game." - Vin Scully

I'll toss it open to Rye as well. That Buffalo Trace Sazerac Rye was great! I drink templeton rye too.

I'm trying to get a list of Kentucky bourbons from Kentucky to request from the state liquor store. Like that grandpappy odaniel or whatever it's called.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    I'm asking. Toss in best distillery tour if you can. I believe you guys have some opinions.
    Buffalo Trace (Frankfort) and Woodford Reserve (Versailles) have very good tours. Certainly, if this is for your friends who are visiting to Louisville, a trip to Central Kentucky is a treat if they have a day open to take a short one hour drive to Lexington. The drive along Old Frankfort Pike from Frankfort to Lexington is a trip back through time and a wonderful opportunity to see the countryside that stands in contrast to Big Sky country. Bluegrass Driving Tour (which is clearly marked and begins at Keeneland) will also give them an opportunity to drive past many of the great Horse Farms.

I second the nomination on Rare Breed. Woodford Reserve is maybe the one I buy the most followed by Elijah Craig. If I want to move up I'll go for Blanton's. But, there are many good bourbons at the premium level. These are just the ones I purchase by the bottle.

I don't keep bourbon in the house except a few commemorative Maker's bottles. When I'm out I pretty much stick with Woodford Reserve. (as an aside, my ex-wife's family was in litigation with Brown-Foreman / Labrot-Graham for years, so either ironic or appropriate LOL)

A short trip to Bardstown is also well worth the time to make. My favorites have already been mentioned, but Pappy Van Winkle is among the best as well.

http://www.visitbardstown.com/tourism/bourbon.html
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    A short trip to Bardstown is also well worth the time to make. My favorites have already been mentioned, but Pappy Van Winkle is among the best as well.

http://www.visitbardstown.com/tourism/bourbon.html
    +1 and if you're ready for a more hearty bourbon grab a you a bottle of Booker...go to Bardstown the bourbon mecca
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Depends on your price range. I got a 20 yr pappy that I'm not going to open. Weller's is likely the best bang for your buck out there. I like Basil Hayden a lot but you are getting up as far as price goes. Eagle Rare is a nice mid range as well. Just for every day the Buffalo Trace when I can find it or Woodford suit me fine.
    Last edited by Doc; 07-23-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

What Mick said.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Woodford Reserve is a very nice bourbon.

Thanks for all your suggestions. The local liquor stores aren't too far off then.

And we pay a lot for liquor out here. So prices are likely 50% higher. Woodford Reserve, Eagle Rare, Blantons, I have bought them. I put a little water in the glass when drinking the higher proofs.

I'm not a Blanton's fan at all. I know its well respected but I find it heavy
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

I am with Doc on Blantons. My favorite of all is Elijah Craig. There are several others that cost more and have a bigger following, but I have found them wanting in comparison. jmho
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Back before I gave up the drink

Jim Beam (white label) - mess'n around
    Elijah Craig - relaxing
    Basil Hayden - relaxing splurge
    Booker - Reset button
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Lincoln Henderson did pretty well when he created Angel's Envy. A very smooth and rich bourbon. It's on the pricey side, but well worth the extra dollars for a fifth.