Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Dog problem...Paging Doc

Dog problem...Paging Doc

Boo, our almost 7 yr old rescue mix of aussie shepherd and heeler has decided to start pooping in our house. It's happened about 5 times in the last month. We took him to local vet, they ran tests and said everything checks out. No physical problems noted.

He's always been very obedient, never done it before (pooping) even when training as a pup. He has peed in many spots upstairs, which is where he is pooping. However the pee spots were multiple areas. We recently had the carpets cleaned throughout the house also, but this started before that.

He is doing it away from us, hiding it while we are downstairs and he can easily go out the back door. It appears he's being very obstinant. He gets more attention from us than John Calipari does from BBN. I'm about to find a local farmer that needs a good dog. Not sure what to do with this and Lori is getting more and more ticked about it as am I.

The vet simply said it could be behavoiral at this point.

Anyone? Suggestions?

Re: Dog problem...Paging Doc

I have heard of this before.

Your dog has become "Mannilowized."

A Mannilowize-affected dog has been subjected recently to crooning of "Mandy," "Copacabana," and related ilk that, well, frankly causes pets and other animals to react violently. It is your pet's way of showing disgust with the family genre in an effort to correct your behavior.

Good luck with it. I suggest healthy doses of more appropriate music in your dwelling. For you, it may be small steps. Do you have some "Cher," or "Bee Gees" that you can start the weening process?

THAT is freaking hilarious!!!!! I love it

One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Actually Mannilowization makes the dog dry hump, usually males.

Yes, it sounds behavioral. If its not a soft stool, or mucous, or blood tinged, then its likely behavioral. Does he do it went you are home or gone? Reason I ask is that there may be something that triggered a separation anxiety issue and there are some good medications for that but they are pretty exclusive for separation issues. The most effective is Clomipramine.

Also, any other changes like new babies, divorces, marriages, new pets, new neighbors, etc.... Those can raise the stress levels that can trigger behavioral issues. The other two drugs that I'll reach for are Amitriptyline (elavil) and fluoxitine (prozac). Both work well in some cases, and occasionally we are able to wean the dog off.

One other question, to backtrack, the regular dvm checked him out and said physically he was fine. I'll assume that included bloodwork including a thyroid. If not, I'd have that checked as sometimes that can turn a minor problem into a much bigger one. Aslo, vet did a rectal, right? I've seen a few tumors cause those signs especially prostatic tumors, sublumbar lymph node enlargement and anal gland adenocarcinomas. The anal gland tumors and prostatic enlargement would likely be picked up on a rectal, plus with the anal gland carcinoma you will likely have some changes in bloodwork (the calcium would be elevated).
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Thanks Doc. Rectal exam was all good, including anal glands. He is super jumpy, always has been. I just don't know.

That'd make me super jumpy...

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    That'd make me super jumpy...
    OK, that's a nice segue to this:

An older man was telling his adult son about his time in military service, particularly when he had to learn how to jump out of a plane. "Scared to death, I got in the back of the line. When it came to my turn, I froze. I couldn't do it. The drill sergeant yelled, "Jump"! Still couldn't budge. The drill sergeant said, "Either jump now or my manhood is going up your backside." The son inquired, "Did you jump, Dad?" "Yeah, a little bit."
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Doc, if he had a bad tooth/teeth could that be causing any of this?

A dog is like a woman they will occasionally see what they can get by with. You may have to make the dog believe you are serious about him not crapping in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    Doc, if he had a bad tooth/teeth could that be causing any of this?

Absolutely. Teeth pain can be a major source of behavior changes (ears too). I've seen patients become "different" dog when you fix a bad tooth (abscess under the tooth, etc). Situations where dogs or cats are highly aggressive that become much more pleasant because of the removal of chronic pain.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.