Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

When I moved to Birmingham, Southwest had 4 flights per day to New Orleans

All non-stop, an hour or less, and generally for very cheap prices. Could often get deals for under $100, roundtrip.

I went to school there, have a lot of friends there, and my wife and her family are from there. If you know me, you know I love New Orleans. I will be honest, one of the reasons we moved to Birmingham was because of the easy access to New Orleans. It's only 360 miles by car, but the idea of getting in a plane for a 50 minute flight for cheaper than it would cost to run your car was enticing. My in-laws have made that flight more times than I have, as has my brother-in-law and his family.

When Katrina hit, New Orleans took a big hit. Population dropped, many things were destroyed, and tourism fell. Southwest--a hub in Birmingham--dropped their flights from 4 down to 2 daily. The great prices were generally not able to be found as readily, but that was ok, as long as the flights were available.

In June, it all changed.

Southwest dropped the flights to New Orleans altogether. Huge blow.

Now, if you search for flights, you a) won't find any from Birmingham to New Orleans. I mean, you can get there, but they are all at least one stop elsewhere. Birmingham to Houston to New Orleans. Birmingham to Atlanta to New Orleans. Etc. b) the prices, naturally, have increased. And c) the time has substantially increased. It looks like it will be about 4 hours to cover those 360 miles by road now, give or take.

Very sad time for us. My daughter is in a play the last two weeks of the month/first week of August that family members want to attend, and although my father-in-law is in good shape and can easily drive, he has a consulting job in Houston that will keep him from making the trip. Not unusual for them, as his wife will often just hop a plane and come see us. Except not quite so easy any more.

I am considering the "Crescent City Classic" (I may have the name wrong) train ride from New Orleans to Birmingham for her (driving is not an option), but I think that's like 8 hours.

Not really venting, just lamenting here. I am sure it relates back to Katrina and the population loss in New Orleans and drop in tourism as a whole. I used to love that flight. Even as frugal as I am, that flight just made sense.

Re: When I moved to Birmingham, Southwest had 4 flights per day to New Orleans

How much has tourism dropped off overall? I haven't seen any numbers, and I don't follow the city politics, but it seems as if the city may never recover fully.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I may be unfairly blaming tourism in New Orleans, but it's still down, and population is still way down, although recovering.

New Orleans had 10 million visitors in 2004, the year before Katrina. In 2012, they had 9.1 million visitors, which is the highest since Katrina--so it is rebounding, more quickly than I anticipated.

That's still 1 million down from where they were before Katrina, but very high historically.

Pre-Katrina
    Population of the metropolitan area: 1,337,726.
    · Population of within city limits: 484,674

It's still over 100,000 down from that number, but has recovered to 81% of what it was pre-Katrina, about 369,000. After Katrina, in 2006, it was down to 224,000.

In the last 2 years, it has increased in population 7.5%, which places it 24th in the U.S. in county population growth; the only urban center in the top 25. St. Bernard Parish, which is the adjacent parish to Orleans Parish, is at a 16% growth rate, 2nd highest in the nation.

Long way to go, but have gone miles since 2006.

Selfishly, I just hate that it's a 4-hour airplane trip to/from New Orleans, when it used to be about 50 minutes. And a plane change.

Recovered more than I would have honestly predicted. The "Big Easy" nature of the place works for a lot of things, works against things like quickly going out and rebuilding.

As much as you travel I'd look at a small plane and a pilot's license. They can be rented. If you can work your magic on plane rentals you're set.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Take the Crescent, you will be glad you did. It is 7 hrs. and $44. It is a much more pleasant experience than any airplane ride.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Take the Crescent, you will be glad you did. It is 7 hrs. and $44. It is a much more pleasant experience than any airplane ride.
    Hard to beat the price. I will take the kids on it soon at that price.

Mom in-law, just laying out the planes, trains, and automobiles options for her and see what she decides.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Hard to beat the price. I will take the kids on it soon at that price.

Mom in-law, just laying out the planes, trains, and automobiles options for her and see what she decides.
    I have found with the train, it may be an hour or two longer than driving, but when you arrive you are refreshed and ready to go. No TSA, no long lines, no stress, and the seating is actually pleasant. You don't have the strain of driving and it actually no more costly than driving. In my case I can get a lot of work done on the train.

I wouldn't take it everytime, but it is a great transportation alternative.

Mick, would you recommend it for my mother-in-law? She can get a room on the train for $150 each way more, but that turns a less than $100 trip into a $400 trip. I know I wouldn't do that.

Her health is "ok" now, but she has had health issues, and has some mobility issues, although she can get around, up and down steps. She's about 80.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Mick, would you recommend it for my mother-in-law? She can get a room on the train for $150 each way more, but that turns a less than $100 trip into a $400 trip. I know I wouldn't do that.

Her health is "ok" now, but she has had health issues, and has some mobility issues, although she can get around, up and down steps. She's about 80.
    I wouldn't unless she has a serious immunity or breathing type problem. There is enough space on the train that folks are not crowded or in any type of cramped quarters. I would get a berth of some type only if security or privacy was a serious issue. Amtrak is usually a much better travel environment than any airplane I have ever taken. Frankly, I would only be concerned if she has a mobility issue and wanted to move around on the train. But, my observation is that the conductors generally do a good job of helping those who have mobility issues. They will see that she and her baggage get on and off the train safely.

And remember there is a 15% discount on her fare since she is over 62. That should make the cost about $38 one way. Hell, I may go to NOLA this weekend.