Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Alabama Boys, and others who care to chip in

Hey Alabama Boys, and others who care to chip in

Grammy and I are taking our pretty annual pilgrimage to the Holy Land of rednecks, L.A. (lower Alabama for the uninitiated).

This time I have talked her into breaking the trip from Lousyville to Gulf Shores into two parts, since she doesn't help with the driving and I aren't as young as I used to was. Driving half a day non-stop is no fun anymore.

I want to lay over in Birmingham and the kids (we didn't know they were going) want to to do the layover in Montgomery (Heck, were almost there and that defeats the purpose). As usual I'll probably do what Grammy tells me to.

Looking for a couple of good, unhealthy, down home southern restaurants to chow down in both locations.

You folks sure put me on the right track last year on this forum (other site, scared the Hell out of me, mom and dad broke up and I was late to the party) Thanks to blueboss and catonahottinroof just to name two.

Once I am in Gulf Shores (Orange Beach) I got it pretty well under control.

We leave Saturday, so I am all ears!
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Re: Hey Alabama Boys, and others who care to chip in

There is no doubt there are a couple of unhealthy down home southern restaurants in Montgomery, but there are some in Birmingham as well, and to me at least Birmingham is just a lot more pleasant place to be. My dad grew up near Montgomery, so I've been there a good bit, and never have enjoyed it. I guess it just comes down to what you enjoy. Maybe the kids have friends in Montgomery? That would make up for a lot, from their perspective at least.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    L.A. (lower Alabama for the uninitiated).
    Also Lower Arkansas and Louisville Area....

Heck, I live in the Louisville Area. Literally a stones throw from the Bullitt County line. But to me, there is only one Redneck Riviera, and that is the Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area.

Cat, you got any suggestions on anyplace to clog an artery in Birmingham?

Elicat, the kids don't know anyone from Montgomery, just stayed at a nice clean hotel once. Low expectations, I know.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

I like Saw's BBQ in Birmingham. That my only pick. I'm sure mickintheham has some options.

Saw's BBQ, got it written down.

I remember Savannah and Charleston last year, y'all didn't steer me wrong.

I think it's on a street called Oxmoor a little south of downtown.

A) Avoid Montgomery. I lived there two years. Never seen such a dead soul city.

B) plenty of good places to eat in Birmingham. What type food, what type atmosphere, etc.?

If I was traveling through, I might get some BBQ at PJ's Full Moon (Pat James, ex UK football coach) and their half moon cookies. Or Jim N Nicks, and get a slice of chocolate pie that is almost pudding-like.

Mick or Darryl might suggest Tin Roof or Saw's, or something else (maybe even Dreamland, but I don't think so). Can't argue with those, either.

For meat and Three with character, might try Niki's West on Finley. I no longer work downtown, and Mick may have a lot better info there, but it was always a go-to lunch spot for my group.

I like The Fish Market for seafood. Very reasonable priced, quick, informal, and good.

Lots more, and plenty on the higher end (That's the stratosphere Mick and Darryl live in, and I watch from afar) like Highlands, which has received national acclaim. They know these restaurants far better than I.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    I like Saw's BBQ in Birmingham. That my only pick. I'm sure mickintheham has some options.
    Very good suggestion. I was including it, typing on my phone and watching TV, so it took me a long time. :-)

Pappy, one of these days we are gonna have to watch a game together. I live right behind the Texas Roadhouse off the Outer Loop. Y'all be safe on your excursion!!
    "It's a mere moment in a man's life between an All-Star Game and an Old-Timers Game." - Vin Scully

Lfbj00, that particular Texas Roadhouse is Grammy's favorite. Bang for the buck, you can't beat their steaks.

Mr. Cartwright, thanks for the info and when did you resign from the Montgomery Chamber of Commerce?

Fab Five

Well, there are always good places to eat in Birmingham. We don't have a Check's, but we do have Q. Saws is good. There are several locations. Oxmoor Rd. in Homewood is just off I-65. Niki's on Finley was a good suggestion, particularly for a meat and three lunch. I always take my out of town friends to Blue Moon BBQ in Hoover. It used to be owned by Pat James who played on UK's National Championship team and later coached for the bear in Ttown. The chow chow on the Q is great and so are those half moon cookies. The recipe comes from Western Kentucky. If you like Cajun Food, Crazy Cajun on Valleydale at US 280 is a good choice as is Cajun Steamer at Patton Creek Center in Hoover. All of these places are no more than a 10-12 minute drive from the I-65 Corridor.

One of my favorite places is Rojo on Highland Av. It's a dive and has an eclectic menu. I like the Paella.

Now if you want a good brew, an outstanding burger, and a great atmosphere, go to The J Clyde. It is on Cobb Lane. Don't worry looking for Cobb Ln. it's an alley. Park your car in the lot at 20th St. South and 14th St. South. Give the guy in the lot $5. (you'll get your money back when you show him your J Clyde receipt). Head down to Cobb LN, it's a cobblestone alley. J Clyde is halfway down to 13th St. The beer selection is fantastic. There is a partially covered patio in the rear courtyard. It is a great place to sit back and sip. The appetizers are good and fairly healthy. If you go there ask if Chris is working and tell him you are a friend of Mick and his daughter Katie. After all of the stress from driving through Nashville, the J Clyde is a good place to recover.

After you leave Birmingham, you need to think about stopping at Peach Park in Clanton. Peaches this year are great. Peach Ice cream is fantastic. The Pimento Cheese sandwiches put the folks in Augusta to shame. Load up on some fresh fruits and vegetables to take with you to the beach. If you go to Montgomery, you're on your own. I go there for business and to see Shakespeare in the Park. There is just not much there for me to recommend, although I could come up with a place or two if I thought about it long enough.

Have fun at the Flora Bama. Just remember "Go Big Blue" is easily substituted for "Roll Tide Roll" when they play the National Anthem by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Warning on Saw's...I've only had it for lunch, so this didn't bother me, but I think they close early, around 8? So if you're planning on dinner, eat early.

If you really want Montgomery advice, let me know. I do know a couple of spots there, even though it's been over 20 years since I escaped...err, moved from there. I attend a seminar every year that requires me to stay there a couple of days, and occasionally have business there, but almost always I stay there as little time as possible.

I'd suggest Chris' Hot Dogs downtown, or Hamburger King, which was adjacent to my office when I lived and worked there. Hamburger King was so greasy that even papers on our desks would have a greasy feel to it. But dang good burgers if you could get around the grease. Could get chips--no fries, a greasy big burger, and a soft drink--in a can--for about $5. USA Today rated it as Alabama's best burger when I lived there. I don't think it was that, but it was good. Oh, and it is TINY. Plan on eating in your car.

Chris' - order a hot dog "all the way," or not at all. Gobs of onions, kraut, and their secret sauce. Oh, but don't order it if you're going to be riding 3 more hours down to the beach in the car together. Hank Williams used to go to Chris' and sit at the counter and write songs. If I lived in Montgomery, that's what I'd do, too.

I know both of them as lunch spots; you'll have to check to see if they're open for dinner.

(And yeah, they have decent restaurants there, too. But I have to poke at Montgomery with Chris' and Hamburger King. They are very good for hot dog and burger places, and frankly, where I would rather eat than anywhere else in that all-but-forsaken city.)

Fab Five

Saw's on Haygood goes later in the evening with Blues generally being played live on stage. That location is owned by Taylor Hicks.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Saw's on Haygood goes later in the evening with Blues generally being played live on stage. That location is owned by Taylor Hicks.
    That's great to know. I had no idea, and sounds like a fun dinner.

We are looking to a night of people watchin' at the Flora-Bama.

Niki's on Finley sounds like the place to go; a meat and three that you staple directly to your chest is just what the doctor (didn't) order.

Saw's on Haywood does as well.

Thanks guys.

Fab Five

Pappy, I love the Greek Chicken at Nikki's. Nikki is about a 3rd generation Greek restaurant owner in Birmingham. We are lucky to have a great Greek American community. Fish is also great. Both are easy on the heart. Now, desserts are another matter.

Fab Five

Pappy here is a bit more information on Saw's Juke Joint.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/45/17118...int-Birmingham

Technically, the address is on Dunston AV, but just off of Haygood. It's a bit tricky to find but very much worth the effort if you are taking in music. If it is food only, Nikki's is your place.

I should add no one who understands what a juke joint is should expect good service. It goes with the territory.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 07-09-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Mick, when we first moved to Birmingham, we rented a house on Dunston Avenue. It's the house on the corner on the opposite end. Always liked that area.

Hey Pappy, I got nothing for you in either B-Ham or Montgomery, but if you find yourself in Dothan AL. Conestoga Steak house is hard to beat for hunk-o-cow. We arrived in Dothan early one evening and it was suggested to us for dinner, we ate early (5:00), and when we left the place was packed and there were people standing in line in the parking lot to get in....did I mention it was raining.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Again, thank to all of you who have responded and will respond. B'Ham is just a layover and an opportunity to get out, stretch the old legs and enjoy some local food that is recommended by a brotherhood (and sisterhood) that I have come to hold pretty near and dear.

Y'all are awesome and remember we are planning on hitting B'Ham on the way back. I am taking my laptop with me so I can keep up to date with all the news. I am an early riser and Grammy, not so much. The kids had to back out so that is kind of bittersweet. I will miss them but in 15 years of marriage I have never ever gotten Grammy alone to myself for any period of time. It is either her sister, whom I love, or my niece, whom I love also that plan on going along.

Oh well, vent time over and thanks again, you guys are the greatest!

Fab Five

Again, thank to all of you who have responded and will respond. B'Ham is just a layover and an opportunity to get out, stretch the old legs and enjoy some local food that is recommended by a brotherhood (and sisterhood) that I have come to hold pretty near and dear.

Y'all are awesome and remember we are planning on hitting B'Ham on the way back. I am taking my laptop with me so I can keep up to date with all the news. I am an early riser and Grammy, not so much. The kids had to back out so that is kind of bittersweet. I will miss them but in 15 years of marriage I have never ever gotten Grammy alone to myself for any period of time. It is either her sister, whom I love, or my niece, whom I love also that plan on going along.

Oh well, vent time over and thanks again, you guys are the greatest!
    Burminham is NOT "just a layover" it is home and it is a destination. It is also the football capital,of the world!!!

Unforgettable

Listen to Mick on eating spots, he knows the best

Well, it goes without sayin, that we are gonna hit Lambert's in Foley for sure. I love the pass-a-rounds!

Well, we ate at the Watermill Restaurant in Cave City and wound up at the Days Inn in Prattville, AL - maybe we will get to try B'Ham on the way back.

Fab Five

Well, we ate at the Watermill Restaurant in Cave City and wound up at the Days Inn in Prattville, AL - maybe we will get to try B'Ham on the way back.
    Pappy, here is a review of the restaurant Darrell recommended. Cafeteria prices are cheaper than the sit down menu.

http://www.al.com/entertainment/inde..._entertainment

Thanks, Mick.
    The food down here has been awesome to just great. Ribs and Red's just flat-out dazzled last time we were down here and it was just good to great this time. I think it had to with the way it was served and not how it was prepared. Lambert's was awesome. The Hangout was the Hangout.
    More later for those that are interested.

Fab Five

Thanks, Mick.
    The food down here has been awesome to just great. Ribs and Red's just flat-out dazzled last time we were down here and it was just good to great this time. I think it had to with the way it was served and not how it was prepared. Lambert's was awesome. The Hangout was the Hangout.
    More later for those that are interested.
    Say hi to Lulu for me Pappy!

My wife, daughter, her husband, and 3 children, + 7 of my inlaws were in LA for a week and returned home Sat night. Did you see them?
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 07-16-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Ate at Desoto's tonight and found a diamond in the rough and a keeper in the Hawaiian Ribeye.
    Unfortunately, Dan, we got down here Sunday and did not see them; although we have seen some sites let me tell you.
    Mick, have ate at Lulu's before and it was AWESOME!