Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How active or sedentary are you?

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Well, I bought a pedometer. i had 5,478 steps yesterday.
    Mick, is that a normal day for you? That's not bad at all probably why you stay thin. I have to work to get to that number.

I am at 6088 today, but that includes 40 minutes of walking at 3 pm where I went 2.2 miles. Without that, I am around 2000.

Sent using Forum Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post

Mick, is that a normal day for you? That's not bad at all probably why you stay thin. I have to work to get to that number.

I am at 6088 today, but that includes 40 minutes of walking at 3 pm where I went 2.2 miles. Without that, I am around 2000.

Sent using Forum Runner
    Added almost another mile, now at 7854. Inspired.

Sent using Forum Runner

Unforgettable

Re: How active or sedentary are you?

He was at the grocery store, kept walking around the produce section checking all the young melon buyers

I am at 6088 today, but that includes 40 minutes of the young me,on buyers walking at 3 pm where I went 2.2 miles. Without that, I am around 2000.

Sent using Forum Runner

Fab Five

Sent using Forum Runner
    Thin??? I' trying to lose20 lbs.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    He was at the grocery store, kept walking around the produce section checking all the young melon buyers
    I bet I walked 2,000 at Lowe's. Aisles there are so poorly marked.

Fab Five

Sent using Forum Runner
    I am averaging around 5900 steps so far in my first week. I ought to be able to up that to about 6500 or 7000 now that I am tracking steps. 8000 would be a nice goal for me, but I am not sure I can get there. Aything more than 7000 would require me to quit my job.

Darrell, I've gone from 196 to 175 since last October. My doctor telling me I was pre-diabetic finally gave me the motivation I guess I lacked before to lose some weight. I'd like to get down to 160 by this time next year. I'm hoping I can last another 51 years.

Walking's the way to go imo, but it is time consuming. I used to think a walk around the block with the dog was getting some exercise, but now that same walk feels like I haven't done anything at all. I briskly walk for 2 hours 4 days a week. I have no idea how far that takes me, I just walk for an hour then turn around and walk home. The right shoes help also. I got a pair of MBT's, not sure of the style, but they have turned my legs into pure muscle.

I went back to the doc and I'm no longer pre-diabetic. My LDL's are still slightly elevated though. Guess I'd better convince myself that I like oatmeal.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Fab Five

OK Darrell, now you have me obsessed with this thing. I refuse to accept less than 6,000 steps on any given day. Now I have to go out to Lowe's just to walk around the store. The rain for the last few days is killing my performance.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    OK Darrell, now you have me obsessed with this thing. I refuse to accept less than 6,000 steps on any given day. Now I have to go out to Lowe's just to walk around the store. The rain for the last few days is killing my performance.
    Mick, I am obsessed with it too, but I think I have to work harder than you do to reach those steps. You must incorporate some walking in your every day routine that I simply do not. But I have made 5000 steps as my base minimum and at least I am now making sure that I get that daily. As I sit here today typing this on my phone, I am at 2113 steps, and that includes a short 10 minute walk extra. Obviously, I will have to go walking after I get home tonight, but that's okay.

It is fun to watch. They say 7,000 is the number most of us should strive to hit daily. I will have to work harder to get there regularly.

Sent using Forum Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Darrell, I've gone from 196 to 175 since last October. My doctor telling me I was pre-diabetic finally gave me the motivation I guess I lacked before to lose some weight. I'd like to get down to 160 by this time next year. I'm hoping I can last another 51 years.

Walking's the way to go imo, but it is time consuming. I used to think a walk around the block with the dog was getting some exercise, but now that same walk feels like I haven't done anything at all. I briskly walk for 2 hours 4 days a week. I have no idea how far that takes me, I just walk for an hour then turn around and walk home. The right shoes help also. I got a pair of MBT's, not sure of the style, but they have turned my legs into pure muscle.

I went back to the doc and I'm no longer pre-diabetic. My LDL's are still slightly elevated though. Guess I'd better convince myself that I like oatmeal.
    Wild guess you are walking 6+ miles every time. That's great!

And I like oatmeal. I eat two packets of it 4-5 times a week. It's my "Jared from Subway" meal.

Sent using Forum Runner

11:40 p.m. tonight--I look down, it has been raining most of the evening, and I'm at 3700+. Almost ran out the door with a "Pedro-light" and crunched in 2150 steps by midnight, right at 5900 for the day. I know that's not much, but it makes me feel good to stay out of the "sedentary" sub-5000 range each day.

Unforgettable

Ok you two, I bought one of those things today. Now I have to figure out how to program it, thought I had it but oh no not me. Will give it to my girls at work and let them take care of that

Called Mick today and he was walking trying to get his steps up. Lol

QUOTE=Darrell KSR;100070]Mick, I am obsessed with it too, but I think I have to work harder than you do to reach those steps. You must incorporate some walking in your every day routine that I simply do not. But I have made 5000 steps as my base minimum and at least I am now making sure that I get that daily. As I sit here today typing this on my phone, I am at 2113 steps, and that includes a short 10 minute walk extra. Obviously, I will have to go walking after I get home tonight, but that's okay.

It is fun to watch. They say 7,000 is the number most of us should strive to hit daily. I will have to work harder to get there regularly.

Sent using Forum Runner[/QUOTE]

I am sittng at sonic in Trussville wanting my daughter to hurry up so I can get home and walk

Sent using Forum Runner

Fab Five

I figure that having the pedometer encourages (forces) me to walk about 500 to 1,000 more steps a day. 500 steps each day I have found seems to be the difference between living a sedentary lifestyle and a low active life style. I am averaging just under 7,000 steps a day. I have found if I haven't walked 5,000 steps a day, (I call it the benchmark of death), I go crazy until I do. Isn't that being obsessive or compulsive? Gee now I have something else to worry about.

I'm not losing weight but I do seem to be losing inches. Hopefully the heart is healthier and the fat cells are burning away. Of course now instead of worrying about my physical health, I'm going to have to go see a shrink! SHEESH!!
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 07-26-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Fab Five

Ok you two, I bought one of those things today. Now I have to figure out how to program it, thought I had it but oh no not me. Will give it to my girls at work and let them take care of that

Called Mick today and he was walking trying to get his steps up. Lol

QUOTE=Darrell KSR;100070]Mick, I am obsessed with it too, but I think I have to work harder than you do to reach those steps. You must incorporate some walking in your every day routine that I simply do not. But I have made 5000 steps as my base minimum and at least I am now making sure that I get that daily. As I sit here today typing this on my phone, I am at 2113 steps, and that includes a short 10 minute walk extra. Obviously, I will have to go walking after I get home tonight, but that's okay.

Sent using Forum Runner
    [/QUOTE]

Skip, I thought I told you it was simple to program. Even a monkey could do it! LOL

Unforgettable

A young monkey could but us old ones struggle

QUOTE=MickintheHam;100459][/QUOTE]

Skip, I thought I told you it was simple to program. Even a monkey could do it! LOL[/QUOTE]

Unforgettable

I don't think I have it calibrated right, I walked a lot today but I don't think I got in 9300 steps, probably closer to 7000

Unforgettable

Today, 7600 steps plus a few. I was low when I went to our indoor storage unit so took off walking all the way around, found it was 476 steps so did another and got up to 5136. Then walked to elevator, back to store. Then out to eat for granddaughters birthday, salad, home and out to walk a mile.

You're doing great, Jazy. You're just like me--I like seeing how many steps it is to something, around something, etc. Fun to do.

Son has team camp this week for soccer across from Briarwood High School, Mon thru Friday. I will take him 4 of those days. They have a soft, flat asphalt track around the soccer field. I walked 4 miles on it last night while he was practicing. Hope to continue all week.

I saw this thread and avoided it until now because I know how lazy I am, but over the weekend I finally got a new battery for my pedometer & have started using it again.

Yesterday, I took over 9,000 steps, but over 5,000 were from where I took advantage of the weather & walked home from work, which is about 45 minutes. I need to do that more often, but it's a start.

Other than that time, I only took about 4,000 steps for a day at work (sitting at the desk & answering phones) and a couple hours at home.

In the past (2 or 3 years ago), I tried to average 8,000 steps per day. I don't know if I will be able to do that now, but I am trying to be more active and having a pedometer like this is very helpful in seeing numbers and not going on merely what I think I'm doing.

Thank you for starting this thread. Even though I haven't read every post, the mere title kind of "guilted" me into getting my pedometer out again (though I admit advice from the doctor - not Mr. Ball - helped too. )

Peer pressure can be a good thing :-)

Sent using Forum Runner

Maybe broke 500 yesterday. Hey, it's a start.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

CBBN, I promise I'm right there with you. I have had a very "active" day for me today--been to 3 different offices (4 really--I went to one office twice, when the guy I was there to see had just left and I came back), been to the post office, and went to Home Depot to have a key made. With ALL of that, I am at 2,034 steps for the day. And that is a very active day for me. With a simple day at my office, or even worse, a day at my home working, under 1k is possible.

See, before I grabbed a decent pedometer, I would have thought that would put me over 5,000 steps pretty easily. Whenever I filled out those online things about your lifestyle, I generally used something like light active--never sedentary. Well, it was sedentary, and I was fooling myself.

In 2 hours, I'll be headed to a soccer practice, and I will walk some, at least 2 miles. So I will be ok (that's about 3800 steps for me), and may walk up to 4 miles. But it goes to show me that if I didn't do something "extra," I simply wasn't getting it.

Unforgettable

Bad day today. Started good at a school with two Cher squads, walked from o e building to the next and the back, was at 3200 by then. But at the store had a coach come in that wanted to sit and talk, then a sales rep until 6:30 and to eat with him, then home and too lazy to walk and stiff from sitting alllllll afternoon. Ended up with 4600. Ugh. Will make it up tomorrow

Darrell I'm going to have to get one just to see. My desk is at the other end of the office from my bathroom and kitchen so maybe I'm better than I think. lol.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Walked 6 miles during practice tonight. More than 16,000 steps today. Wish I could do this a few times a week.

Sent using Forum Runner

Unforgettable

WOW, 6 miles, got any soles left. How long did it take, 2 hours?

UOTE=Darrell KSR;101184]Walked 6 miles during practice tonight. More than 16,000 steps today. Wish I could do this a few times a week.

Sent using Forum Runner[/QUOTE]

WOW, 6 miles, got any soles left. How long did it take, 2 hours?

UOTE=Darrell KSR;101184]Walked 6 miles during practice tonight. More than 16,000 steps today. Wish I could do this a few times a week.

Sent using Forum Runner
    [/QUOTE]

1 hr, 40 minutes. I had reached the point where I was doing 3+ in less than an hour at the track where he used to practice, and that was with multiple hills and an 82 foot elevation change. This is perfectly flat, and a breeze. It's a brisk pace of about 3.6 mph.

Sent using Forum Runner

That pace is reeally impressive and with hills involved, that's even better. Those factors may be even more important than the sheer number of steps. Does your pedometer calculate a number of "aerobic" steps you take? If so, that's a good number to look at.

I did a bit over 11,000 total yesterday, but at a slower pace and not with the hills. About 4,500 of mine were "aerobic" per my pedometer - presumably on my walk home, with a couple small hills. I think it calculates that number based on if you keep walking for a certain amount of time, though I don't know the specifics.
    Last edited by UKFlounder; 07-31-2013 at 07:09 AM.

There are a couple of joggers going, which helps my pace as I try to almost keep up.

When I did the track with the large hills, I did it with a friend who does triathlons and he pushed me. My conversation with him was often gasping for breath when climbing the hills, though.

No, my pedometer is very basic and basically counts steps accurately, resets at midnight, and stores the last seven days. Everything I want, really.

Sent using Forum Runner