Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: As big as Rupp was

Re: As big as Rupp was

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    I was a big Motown fan when it wasn't so cool for a white boy around here to be so. I especially loved Aretha, Wilson Pickett, and Mr. Excitement, Jackie Wilson
    I am a '70's Motown guy... Stevie's stuff early to mid '70's but the very best ever on Motown... Marvin Gaye's golden quad... "What's Going On", "Let's Get it On", the underrated "I Want You" and the almost forgotten, but brilliant (though angry, which I happen to like) double LP, "Here My Dear".

Not Motown, but give me Al Green or give me death... "I'm Still in Love With You", the greatest "love/gettin' DOWN" record ever... yes, infinitely better than all of Barry White's music combined (see also Marvin's "I Want You" above... you're wife will thank me later).

The most underrated, though, after James Brown (one of the ten most important artists in the history of recorded American music)... late '60's to mid '70's Isley Brothers... don't sleep on the band that could play ANY kind of R&B you could name, the proof being that they did just that.

JMO, but I am right. Take it to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    King, I see your Shirley and Co. and raise you one Godfather of Soul...

This is a tribute to MY MAN, the BOSSman.... HIT IT!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC2ZY2loo74
    Holy f&$ing wow!!! A James Brown Tribute! I pale in the company of all you keypad craftsmen. I love living in "The Nation" and all of it's Blue Brethren (and sistren) thanks much ...now on to number 9, number 9, number 9...
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Fiddlin' Five

I was a big Motown fan when it wasn't so cool for a white boy around here to be so. I especially loved Aretha, Wilson Pickett, and Mr. Excitement, Jackie Wilson
    Aretha can still belt out some tunes!!

Maybe I missed it but I'm not seeing Otis Redding here. That man could make you cry. You could just feel his pain.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Maybe I missed it but I'm not seeing Otis Redding here. That man could make you cry. You could just feel his pain.
    What position did he play? Small forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    What position did he play? Small forward?
    Tight end.

Tight end.
    Then he's in the wrong sport to talk about Rupp and Keightley...although Cawood went bo...oh, I won't go there, lest someone get the wrong impression.

Hey, you started it.

badrose, if I had to list every R&B artist that I love from it's greatest era (say '67-'75) it might take two posts, but I am glad you mentioned Otis, one of my Top 10 favorite singers of all time. He came from the Stax family of artists, which I strongly prefer to most classic Motown.

That's deep South Soul music and Stax featured probably the greatest "house band" that any label ever had. MOST of that band ends up being the backing band for The Blues Brothers... Donald "Duck" Dunn, Steve Cropper, etc.

For Krank...this is a MG song I always liked

..here's a bonus. One of the best Motown songs you probably never heard

and back on topic. The Baron of the Bluegrass

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

For Krank...this is a MG song I always liked

One of the greatest voices ever. No question.

Hey, I thought we were talking about how tall Rupp was.

One and Done

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Cattails with respect to all the great posts you have made at this site I will give you a pass on this one and not say how absolutely crazy you are for starting this thread. Everyone is wrong once in a while.
    Yep, every good poster deserves a pass.

Those were the only nights my mother didn't confiscate my transistor radio UK BB Games w/Cawood, took it even though the Reds were playing, school came first except for the Cats.

Fiddlin' Five

Otis is settin on the dock of the bay.