Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• LonnyDemaree

by Published on 10-05-2021 03:52 PM     Number of Views: 237 

Make no mistake, I’m not the new Allan Cutler that was the master in bearing bad news. Cutler and I were friends but on a different spectrum. In the 13-years I was a WVLK sports analyst, I was always lauded for my objectivity, pushing my Big Blue loyalty aside. So, now let’s tell it like it truly is.

The Good

• Wan’Dale Robinson is the real deal. He can run, he can catch, and he is versatile. He can get open on any route and not only that he has shown that with the ball in his hand he is dangerous – the jet-sweep.

• The offensive line (Big Blue Wall) line is still effective in the running game though at times they are a little shaky in Pass Pro.

• Two other receivers (Isaiah Epps and Josh Ali) have stepped up to the plate. Tight ends have for the most part done their jobs.

The Bad

• When there was talk of Will Levis’ inaccuracy and he working with a bio-mechanic to improve his accuracy, my red flag went up. Still in the interest of fairness, I waited until I witnessed a practice session. All the talk of him having a cannon was correct, however, I witnessed a worrisome flaw in his short-pass accuracy. So far that is bearing itself out and deems it as being a problem going forward against good SEC teams. IF, not corrected? Perhaps, this is why they keep the media away. Against FCS ULM his percentage started out an excellent 69.2 and has since fallen off to 61.9; 56.1 in conference play with 6-interceptions overall. Stoops said they are going to be working HARD to correct that in this week's practice. There’s an old proverb – Pride before the fall! Enough said.

The Fortunate

• Kentucky can take pride when addressing their fans on the defense. The UK defense is very good and could border on being great before the end of the season. It’s not perfect at the present in that there are not enough forced turnovers. The tackling is very good – they rally to the ball well and their open-field tackling is very good. Before the season there was some consternation about the cornerback play but their allowing of chunk-plays (over 25-yards) has been limited. Teams are going to learn to stop picking on Carrington Valentine. Senior Tyrell Ajain has been solid.

by Published on 09-28-2021 06:19 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Football

As I reported early last week the "Suspended Six" would return back to practice this week. They are back! There was a report from a certain quarter that all six were practicing last week. Mark Stoops verifiesd that today. "We wanted to get back because there are so many days they have to be in helmets before they can put on the pads," Mark Stoops said. The six are running back JuTahn McClain, offensive lineman R. J. Adams, wide receiver Earnest Sanders lV, defensive back Joel Williams, Defensive back Andru Philips, and defensive back Vito Tisdale. He said that throuhout the process we believed in our players. "They are college students and in the spring time things happen but again I appreciate the process playing out," he explained.

The question is will all the players be ready to participate on Saturday against the Gators?

The players most likely to be very important contributing missing pieces that showed a lot of promise in the spring are the very twitchy McClain; Andru Phillips who was shown to be hurdling the hood of a car when he committed father and was making a strong push for playing time; and Joel Williams that made a strong push also. Phillips was a legacy recruit whose father Carlos Phillips played at the University of Kentucky. Vito Tisdale is youngster that plays with reckless abandon with no regard for life or limb.

Liam Coen said he the first drive is scripted and some after the first drive.
    As far as the fumbles Coen said do and Obsticle Course and Ball Security Circuit.

With some of them can present added strength to an improving defense. I don't want to beat a dead horse on the reckless turnovers. Enough said to a condition that is sure to improve.

Coen said they show the Rams games every Friday and that add to the details of what we are doing. "Each week we watch all their stuff and each week see improvement in our guys," Coen said.

Another greenhorn that has burst upon the scene at the defensive tackle/ end is Octavious Oxendine. Stoops said that OX on a redirect chased down the South Carolina quarterback. Stoops said he plays extremely hard and fast.

Stoops said when they play well they can play with anybody. He fulfilled a promise he made nine years ago in that he would build a strong defense.
    by Published on 09-26-2021 07:21 AM

Mark Stoops opened up his post-game press conference with a comical quip. "Where is everybody? Look like everybody stayed home relaxing on the couch while I'm here sweating it out."

On a more serious note, he said they played well in hostile territory. His defense shut out the Gamecocks in the first half. And they came out of the locker room in the second half and compressed the score 10-7, but the Cats didn't blink.

It's been said many times that there will be adversity in the game, but you have to fight through it. But the adversity shouldn't happen in bunches. Some might say the number of turnovers is coincidental, but Websters says a coincidence is just that. They don't come in bunches like bananas. UK is leading the country in turnovers.

Stoops said that turnovers hurt their momentum. "We can't flinch at adversity," Stoops said. He said Chris Rodriquez got tough yards at end to Salt the game away. Commenting on the DeAndre Squares eight tackles is something he's been doing for years.

Levis said they got the turnover bug out of their system and when they get their first one they start coming regularly.

Sacks are not in abundance but seemingly when they do get one it is very timely. J.J. Weaver said before the game, "If they get two sacks and stop the run they will win the game. How prophetic is that? Carolina had 58-yards on the grown.

A big key to winning the game was to stop Josh Vann their most dangerous receiver - 3 catches for 16-yards.

In the open- field Jalen Gieger was everywhere and not missing tackles. Square said he spends a lot of time in the film room and he will continue to shine in that category.

At the nose-tackle spot, UK's Josiah Hayes and Justin Rogers play a big part in stalwart defensive line play.
    Now it's on to correcting the turnover problem and get ready for the Florida Gators that is now running the ball more successfully which plays into UK's strength.

Will Levis said the Willian Brice Staduim gives us energy, really cool.
    by Published on 09-16-2021 06:09 PM

Mark Stoops has done a marvelous job at the University of Kentucky. Taking over a program that was 2-10. At a Pro-day in ...
    by Published on 09-08-2021 05:24 PM

In late July my season prediction was 8-4 and trending. The reason for trending was I needed to see the starting quarterback ...
    by Published on 08-31-2021 03:59 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Football

* There were years in the past we questioned the starters in addition to the depth-chart. We now see some glaring assets ...
    by Published on 08-24-2021 05:13 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Football

* In practice since being named the starting quarterback, Will Levis has shown himself to be an accomplished passer ...
    Page 10 of 68 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post