Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Stoops: Targeting rule will affect games

"I said in the preseason that it was going to have a – that you were going to see some dramatic calls. It’s going to affect some games, and so fortunately for us it hasn’t affected too much of our games. We haven’t been called for it yet, and I don’t think to my knowledge an opponent, anybody we’ve played against, has been called for it either. But, again, I think you’ve just got to do your best to work with the system that’s in place right now and the rules that are in place right now. We have to do our best as a coaching staff to teach our players to hit in the target area. Obviously, that’s to stay away from their head.

“I don’t believe in teaching guys to go very low because I think you’re asking for injuries both to the offensive player and to the defensive guy, with neck injuries and things like that that I’m very cautious of. So, I think we’re trying our best to hit them in that chest area with their head up and just teach a perfect tackle. That’s the best we can do. We all know in football there’s going to be a lot of plays that happen very, very quickly. That’s just a reaction.

“I think I’ve been pleased that it hasn’t been called more because that’s what I was worried about. Because when balls are thrown late over the middle and things like that, it’s a bang-bang play, the defender turns back, there’s going to be some head-to-head contact, and I don’t believe that’s supposed to be called unless it was intentional, unless you’re leading with the head and all that. There’s going to be some head-to-head contact. We all know that’s going to happen in football. It just seems like they haven’t been getting too carried away with calling it, I guess. Anyway, that’s the best I can answer it. It’s a hard topic as you know.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      Darrell KSR -
      I guess I see the need for some kind of rule, but it is really going to stink when it affects a team like that.
  • KSR Twitter Feed