Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• How emotional will Joker Phillips return be

It seems like Joker Phillips has always been on the field at Commonwealth Stadium. Whether it was a player, assistant coach, offensive coordinator or head coach, he has been a constant with Kentucky football.
    Or he was until Kentucky suffered through a 2-10 season in 2012 that cost him his job.

Now he’s coming back to Commonwealth Stadium Saturday as receivers coach for No. 12 Florida and will be in Lexington trying to beat UK instead of trying to figure out ways to help the Wildcats win.
    Most of Kentucky’s players were recruited when Phillips was head coach. Many felt partially responsible when he lost his job.

Does that mean there could be some extra emotion from the UK players this week?

“I don’t know. I wouldn’t think that would give any extra motivation for us,” said Kentucky coach Mark Stoops. “We ought to be pretty motivated as it is to prepare to play a very good football team.”
    True. Kentucky has lost 26 straight times to the Gators. Phillips was even part of the last UK team to beat Florida.

So isn’t it likely that seeing Phillips Saturday could stir some extra emotion in the Wildcats?
    “I wouldn’t think so. I wouldn’t think, no. I think most people around here have good feelings about coach Phillips and the work that he’s done at Kentucky,” Stoops said. “He’s a very good person and a good coach, so I don’t think that’ll have any bearing on the game.”

And it shouldn’t have any bearing on anything said to or about Phillips.
    No, he was not successful as a head coach. But he was part of some terrific teams as part of Rich Brooks’ staff. He was at UK when the Cats beat Georgia, South Carolina and even eventual national champion LSU back in 2007.
    He always went out of his way to sell the UK football program to fans and recruits. He was an easy choice for athletics director Mitch Barnhart to promote to head coach when Brooks resigned.
    “I think we all loved coach Phillips and loved having him as our coach,” UK senior linebacker Avery Williamson said.

Apparently the Gators feel the same way — and have since Phillips arrived.

Florida coach Will Muschamp raved about the addition of Phillips during the SEC Media Days in July.

"He's been an offensive coordinator and a head coach, which I welcome in the room,” the Florida coach said. "That's something that I think gives you great ideas and benefit from a guy that has sat in the chair before. Certainly when I was defensive coordinator (I liked) having guys in the room that have called it before and they see the big picture."

Quarterback Jeff Driskel, who broke his leg in last week’s win over Tennessee and is now out for the season, was a Phillips backer in  July as well.
    "He's brought in a different mindset. He was a head coach so he's definitely got a good track record. He brings in a known leadership. He was a huge hire for our staff,” Driskel said.

Florida offensive lineman Jon Halapio said Phillips immediately changed the mindset of the team’s receivers.
    "Seeing the intensity and aggressiveness of the wide receivers is an eye opener for me. His thing is if you can catch the ball, you can block, too,” Halapio said.

Nothing has changed about the way Muschamp feels about Phillips and, unlike Stoops, he anticipates his assistant coach will be a bit emotional for Saturday night’s game.
    “Any time you spend a lot of time in a place, you have great memories,” Muschamp said Monday. “There’s no question he will be emotional about that. Any time you spend as much time as we spend and working hard for the university, you will be emotional.
    “He has done an outstanding job. Three of our most productive players are receivers. He is developing young players. His production speaks for itself on the tape. The tape is your resume as a coach. He has been a really good addition to our staff.”

And Muschamp says having Phillips on staff is not a big advantage for the Gators against Kentucky.
    “He will have a little bit of opinions on personnel, but schematically they are different,” the Florida coach said. “Sometimes that stuff (about knowing a team) can be overrated.”

So can emotion, but somehow I think Phillips will be extremely emotional about his return to the school he’s always professed he loved and the job he said was his “dream job” when he became UK’s head coach.
    Comments 18 Comments
      UKHistory -
      Don't have any malice for Joker. Clearly the decision was a poor that has hurt UK and made Mitch look like a poor leader.

Going from a head coach to a position coach is big drop--salary and ego. And it bothers me that UK hired a guy who could not even get a job as coordinator.

My understanding is that Joker taking this position reduced UK's buyout. Am I correct? Still it is odd for a former head coach to return so soon.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Glad he is doing well. Jeff Piecoro insist Joker is a very good position coach, but lacked the skillset to be a head coach and all that comes with it. Sounds like that may be the case. I hope he is treated with respect by the fans. I am sure he will be.
      Doc -
      From me he will get a not so enthusiastic
      dtalbersjr -
      I feel the same way about Joker I did this time last year and this time the year before: furious about what he did to our football program. Only difference is that he's gone now. I'm still pissed at him though, and will be for a long time.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
      I feel the same way about Joker I did this time last year and this time the year before: furious about what he did to our football program. Only difference is that he's gone now. I'm still pissed at him though, and will be for a long time.
      Just wanted to add a thought. Joker did not hire himself and keep himself in the position. He honestly tried his best to be a successful HC, but lacked the skills to be successful. I place no blame on him for what transpired during his tenure. Did he make bad decisions? I think he did. Did he fail to recruit the necessary talent to move the program forward? I think he did. Neither of those things fall on his shoulders as he tried his best, but was never qualified for the job someone else put him in.
      dtalbersjr -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Just wanted to add a thought. Joker did not hire himself and keep himself in the position. He honestly tried his best to be a successful HC, but lacked the skills to be successful. I place no blame on him for what transpired during his tenure. Did he make bad decisions? I think he did. Did he fail to recruit the necessary talent to move the program forward? I think he did. Neither of those things fall on his shoulders as he tried his best, but was never qualified for the job someone else put him in.
      I have no counter to that. It's absolutely true and a very valid point. Logically it should make me more willing to just let it go ... but I have to admit it doesn't. I'm probably more upset at Mitch's stubborness in supporting Joker and attacking the fans, which also wasn't necessarily, Joker's fault. I acknowledge that's not entirely rational, but that's the way I feel.
      MTcatfan -
      Joker gets credit for one thing in my book for his head coaching tenure and that is ending the Tennessee streak. Other than that he was an abject failure as UK's head coach, and I will feel nothing more than I always do about an opposing assistant coach: complete indifference.
      Terry Blue -
      "Joker could not even get a job as a coordinator". I don't know about that, he was a pretty hot commodity for awhile. I said this before Joker was hired, when many of those trashing Mitch and Joker now, were crying for him to replace Rich sooner than he did. You just don't know how a person will respond until he takes that head job spot. Joker has as good of a background or better than many coordinators who have been successfull in BCS football as head coaches. Rich Brooks was the one who initially was promoting Joker for the job and he sold that idea to Mitch and Dr.Todd. This decision was almost universally cheered by BBN. I think Rich Brooks knows a thing or two about college coaching and in fact was the Oregon A.D himself for a short time. Who knows, a few years down the road Joker may take over another program and be successful. There have been a lot of good men and coaches who have taken the UK head job and failed. It's a tough job to be successful for several reasons, not the least of which is the conference we compete in
      TonyRay -
      Quote Originally Posted by MTcatfan View Post
      Joker gets credit for one thing in my book for his head coaching tenure and that is ending the Tennessee streak. Other than that he was an abject failure as UK's head coach, and I will feel nothing more than I always do about an opposing assistant coach: complete indifference.
      Don't forget the streak with "The Old Ball Coach"!
      Catonahottinroof -
      I hope all the Gators have a sad, hollow plane ride home from the 859, Joker included.
      anderwt -
      I hope UK pulls off the upset with our freshman making the biggest impact
      truecatsfan -
      Would love nothing better for Timmons to score the winning td.
      blueboss -
      Golf clap seems appropriate anything more would be applause for him being on the opponents coaching staff giving us a better shot at the upset.
      ajp40505 -
      Sorry, but I don't think Joker has the skill set to be a good high school head coach. Clearly he's one of ours and always will be, but the man should have never been put in a position to fail. I put that on Rich Brooks.
      suncat05 -
      Yes, Joker was an absolute failure as our head coach. Mitch should have moved on that way before when he did. And I think Rich Brooks must have seen something that made him believe that Joker was the right man for the job. All of that being said, something happened to make the wheels fall off the cart, and I contend that it was a gross failure in all phases of the football operation from all of the people involved that mattered.
      This kind of stuff should never happen at a major D-1 university, and especially in the magnitude at which it happened. Ultimately though, this mess lays at the feet of Mitch Barnhart. He's the Athletic Director, and he is responsible for success or failure.
      UKHistory -
      The UK fan community was being sold that Joker was hot commodity. But Terry, my point is that he got fired as a head coach and took a job as position coach.

There is nothing "to know" about that fact.

I am not sure I would say the decision of hiring Joker was universally supported. Many on here were concerned. I don't think there were many who predicted Joker would fail. There as a concern he would fail and there was concern it is tougher to replace a former player that is beloved.

Coaches in waiting were the "in" thing at the time but honestly I think most people today see it as a distraction and problem on many levels.

I aint buying how tough the SEC is when you look at UK's performance under Joker.

South Carolina came into the league as former ACC and Metro conference reject. Their nicknames cocks for goodness sakes. What the cocks do? They hired two pretty famous and successful coaches and got pretty competitive.

There is a big hill to climb to week in and week out stand up to Bama, LSU, Florida, etc.

But the cocks hired coaches that won national titles and they got competitive and beat our ass. So I am not disputing how tough and great our conference is. I am just saying that can't be used as Joker's excuse.

If it is the excuse that only proves my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      "Joker could not even get a job as a coordinator". I don't know about that, he was a pretty hot commodity for awhile. I said this before Joker was hired, when many of those trashing Mitch and Joker now, were crying for him to replace Rich sooner than he did. You just don't know how a person will respond until he takes that head job spot. Joker has as good of a background or better than many coordinators who have been successfull in BCS football as head coaches. Rich Brooks was the one who initially was promoting Joker for the job and he sold that idea to Mitch and Dr.Todd. This decision was almost universally cheered by BBN. I think Rich Brooks knows a thing or two about college coaching and in fact was the Oregon A.D himself for a short time. Who knows, a few years down the road Joker may take over another program and be successful. There have been a lot of good men and coaches who have taken the UK head job and failed. It's a tough job to be successful for several reasons, not the least of which is the conference we compete in
      MTcatfan -
      Quote Originally Posted by TonyRay View Post
      Don't forget the streak with "The Old Ball Coach"!
      True...I forgot about that one, so okay, he gets credit for two things, ending the Spurrier streak, and the UT streak...still won't care he is returning as an assistant coach of another team.
      ebarbaau -
      He'll definitely bring in a different mindset -ala Driskell comments -
  • KSR Twitter Feed