Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Breaking Down the UK vs Florida Game

The Wildcats have the dubious distinction of holding the longest losing streak in the nation of twenty-six straight losses. Following is a position by position breakdown.

Quarterback: Tennessee didn't do the Wildcats any favor by knocking their starting quarterback Jeff Driskel out of the game Saturday. They say he's out for the season. The Wildcats have had minimal success in stopping run oriented quarterbacks. Kentucky is in a state of flux on their starting quarterback. Since Florida is sure who will start and play most of the game and in addition Tyler Murphy will have no one looking over his shoulder, this could work against UK. Those that have seen Murphy since he's been a Florida question why he has not been the starter before now. Perhaps having an entire week to think about being the starter could work adversely against him but; Slight Advantage Florida.

Running Back: The UK running backs have for the past two years had success running the football and Jojo Kemp has began to emerge as a weapon running the ball Kentucky should continue have success on the ground. Florida's two top backs Matt Jones and Mack Brown this season have each run for less than a 4.0 average. Advantage Kentucky.

Wide Receivers and Tight Ends: Kentucky has potential a plenty at the wide-outs. However the Gators are never lacking for speed on the outside and they have lots of experience. The Wildcat are for the most part inexperienced in the rough and tough SEC. The Cats production at the tight end spot has been virtually non-existent since the departure of Jacob Tamme. Advantage Florida.

Offensive Line: All of Florida's starters are 3,4,5 years players which gives them a huge experience advantage and size advantage over Kentucky. Advantage Florida.

Defensive Line: A lot of UK's effectiveness depends on the health of Donte Rumph and this will determine what package and personnel groupings we will see on the field. The staff showed they could make adjustments on the fly and no doubt have been practicing with those groupings. The Cats could match the Gators in the defensive trenches. But again the Gators have lot's of experience in that area. The Cats could stack up there so lets call it EVEN.

Linebacker: Kentucky has been struggling all season trying to find the answers at this position and maybe slowly creeping upon it but the Gators have size, ability, and experience there. Advantage Florida.

Secondary: This has been another problem area for the Wildcats but the Wildcat coaching coaching-staff feels that they are getting better. Stoops said their (Florida) secondary is fabulous and their three corners that they play with have been playing together a long time. Advantage Florida.

Stoops said their overall awareness has led them to play more aggressive and hopefully they will continue to build on that. There's an age-old cliché that says nothing is forever so will this be the time to break the 26-game winning streak. The coach continues to reiterate they need to get bigger and those types of players are not going to walk through the door over night. So the Cats will have to play their best and most clean game thus far.
    Comments 9 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      I agree with all of your thoughts, but none more than this....

So the Cats will have to play their best and most clean game thus far.
      Thanks for the read
      ajp40505 -
      Saying that Florida has a slight advantage at QB tells you all you want to know about how woeful our QB situation is. Until we find a QB that can deliver quick, accurate throws to receivers we are not going to win hardly any games.
      Terry Blue -
      That's what Max Smith did last season:69% completion rate and 330 per game
      Edward100 -
      And, have players catch those passes.
      Jimcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Terry, is Barker good enough to come in as a frosh next year and be better than our current guys who'll then be juniors? Our receivers should be much better by next year, enough so to make all QB candidates look better?
      Jelleyjr -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimcats View Post
      Terry, is Barker good enough to come in as a frosh next year and be better than our current guys who'll then be juniors? Our receivers should be much better by next year, enough so to make all QB candidates look better?
      I'm not TB, but personally, I feel that Barker will be able to come in and possibly take teh starter role, especially if he enrolls in spring like he said he would. That gives him the spring and summer to learn the offense much better and get well acquainted with the current players. Watching the Elite 11, Barker shown he can learn complex plays and perform well under pressure. He was one of the best on the read simulation, which shows he makes quick, good decisions. I feel that by coming enrolling during the spring, he gets to get acclimated to the speed of the college game, all the while of just coming off of his HS football season. I like Max, but feel at times he is too fragile. Jalen, I like as well, but doesn't always make the smartest decisions and accuracy (during games), which is crazy because he was all that during the spring. I know it is going to be a tough decision for the coaching staff, because who knows what can happen this season, Smith or Whitlow could get hurt and they take the redshirt off Towles and he has an outstanding year, which will throw 4 - 5 guys in the mix for next year!
      ajp40505 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Terry, last year doesn't mean squat. How many quick, accurate throws have you seen Max throw this year?
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimcats View Post
      Not TB either, but I read a national article recently that said Barker had an excellent chance to start for Kentucky next year. I don't remember now which one.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4
      Terry Blue -
      With Barker coming in early, I'm sure he'll have a chance to compete for the starting job along with:Max, Jalen, Towles, and Phillips. I wouldn't rule out either Patty Ice or Phillips at this point
  • KSR Twitter Feed