Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Cal’s Charity Alumni Game a recruiting tool for the ages

By: ASHLEY SCOBY

Do you do it after bumping into John Wall or Kenny “Sky” Walker out on Rupp Arena’s court?

Do you do it after watching Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist dance around and hug like brothers during Alumni Game introductions?

Or when you read the news reports about John Calipari’s fantasy basketball experience, where even retired NFL players (Jason Taylor) are stopping by?

Or when the lights turn down, and one of Drake’s rap songs comes bursting through the speakers, symbolizing the beginning excitement of a new game?

What about when actual Drake, and not just his music, appears at Rupp Arena, as he did for last year’s Alumni Game?

If you are a high-profile basketball recruit in this day and age, how do you say no to Kentucky and Coach Cal?

Tonight was the second annual installment of Kentucky’s Charity Alumni Game, in conjunction with Cal’s fantasy camp. But even more so than being a extra-intense family reunion, the Alumni Game is simply one of the best recruiting tools in modern basketball history.

With a roster that included Terrence Jones, Brandon Knight, John Wall, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Anthony Davis, Jarred Prickett, Antoine Walker and Patrick Patterson (with Demarcus Cousins and Eric Bledsoe “coaching,” due to contract negotiations preventing them from suiting up), Rupp was star-studded. NBA player after NBA player came through the tunnel for warmups, becoming Wildcats for at least one more night.

Marcus Lee, the current five-star freshman, was in particular awe as he watched his predecessors step out onto the court. With a huge smile on his face during warmups, it was obvious he could see his future in the eyes of these players. They had been in his shoes before, and with buzzwords like “contract negotiations” floating in the air, most of these alums had clearly “made it.”

More than anything, basketball recruits want to have those kinds of contract negotiations one day. They want to go to a place where their talent will be developed enough to make them into first-round draft picks. With most of Cal’s original “Draft Class” of Patrick Patterson, Eric Bledsoe, Demarcus Cousins, Daniel Orton and John Wall present (Orton was missing), that kind of dream at Kentucky looks achievable for any recruit watching.

“I think we do it the right way,” John Wall said after the game. “Just having us guys come back and playing pickup – it’s great. They see what type of school this is and what we put together.”

But it is not as if players come to Lexington and then move onto their respective NBA city without connecting in the process. They come as a gaggle of five-star recruits and leave as brothers.

During photos, Cousins wrapped an arm around Bledsoe and went halfway in for the headlock. Davis was mobbed by his teammates after making not one, but two, buzzer-beating shots (one from halfcourt). This game could have just as easily been a bunch of high school buddies playing in a backyard.

“A great group of guys comes back,” Wall said. “It’s all just like a brotherhood. Cal and the University of Kentucky did a great job of getting everyone back.”

That kind of brotherhood and the seemingly carefree attitude of just having fun with the game are just as appealing to recruits as well. Most 17- and 18-year-olds are focused on their goals of being a pro athlete, without question. But nine times out of 10, they want to have fun while doing so. Coming to Lexington gives those guys a solid chance of achieving both.

Announced attendance was 19,255, more than many schools have at games that actually count. Fan support is something recruits look for in schools as well, and a reason why the relationship between Kentucky and its former players is so strong.

“It shows the appreciation and the tradition and how much the fans are behind the players here,” Knight said. “That’s why we take the time out of our schedules to come back and play in things like this. It means a lot to us.”

So the same question continues to grow in stature as the years go by: How do recruits during this era say no to Kentucky?
    Comments 11 Comments
      Dokker -
      So the same question continues to grow in stature as the years go by: How do recruits during this era say no to Kentucky?

This whole event reminds me of something Rupp once said... You take a boy down to the coliseum and sit him there. And if he doesn't want to commit on the spot, he's too stupid to play here anyway. (or something like that)
      Philly Cat -
      Love that Rupp quote, Dokker. It's how I feel even today.

This is really the key quote to me:

“A great group of guys comes back,” Wall said. “It’s all just like a brotherhood. Cal and the University of Kentucky did a great job of getting everyone back.”

Yes, the money is certainly nice, but I think it is almost equally important to show recruits that they are joining a brotherhood and a community that binds them together for life. Most of these guys probably believe (accurately) that they could get to the NBA via several different routes/schools; the distinguishing feature will be what ELSE they get in their college experience.
      Krank -
      Thanks for the article, Ashley. Nice job!

Hey, there is just NO WAY anything but positive can come out of these alumni games, from every conceivable angle, seems to me.
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post

Hey, there is just NO WAY anything but positive can come out of these alumni games, from every conceivable angle, seems to me.
      Ditto. Great stuff!
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post

It's great for recruiting, the fans love it, the players get to come back and get the recognition they deserve and seem to really love it, it raised $1 million for charity this year. Some things are win/win. This is win/win/win/win. It's even good for downtown Lexington and the city generally.

Great story Ashley.
      jazyd -
      Great job. I keep saying how impressed I am with the character of the players Cal recruits plus his involvement in charities and the community.

No program can touch this, none.

Only way a kid turns this down, bought, doesn't want to share the limelight or is scared and those we don't want
      Genuine Realist -
      Very old school of me, but I hope a fair percentage are taking classes these summers.
      uklandrn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Scoby View Post
      By: ASHLEY SCOBY

Ask Andrew Wiggins - or better yet - Ask his father.
      uklandrn -
      By the way - I loved the article. Great stuff Ashley! Thanks!
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by uklandrn View Post
      By the way - I loved the article. Great stuff Ashley! Thanks!
      Ditto.

Sent using Forum Runner
      badrose -
      Ashley, you've got mad skills! Thoroughly enjoyed this.
  • KSR Twitter Feed