Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Monday football notebook

Apparently Kentucky junior defensive end Bud Dupree has learned his lesson.

After UK lost to Western Kentucky to open the season, Dupree indicated after the game that UK might have been “overconfident” and lacked focus, a statement that befuddled UK coach Mark Stoops.

With No. 7 Louisville coming to Commonwealth Stadium Saturday, Dupree said “no” when asked if there was any chance the team would be overconfident again.

“We’re going to come out ready to play Louisville this week. This is a big week. We’re going to come out ready to practice today, starting today we’re ready for the game Saturday,” said Dupree, who also admitted the Cats learned a lesson in the loss to Western.

Offensive coordinator Neal Brown admitted after last week’s win over Miami (Ohio) that he might have been too easy on the players before the first game not to hurt their confidence, a situation he remedied last week. This week could be even more demanding on the players.

“ I think it's always easier to have a tougher week this week. They thought last week was tough. We'll be more tough this week,” Stoops said Monday. “So it's always better to be harder on them after a win. You know, and, again, I said that after week one. Somebody mentioned it to me that one of the kids said they were overconfident or whatnot. That's just silly to me because we have such a long way to go.

“But that's where we're at. You have to educate them on everything, and that's your job to stay on them. Just have them improve and understand the accountability that comes with it and the discipline that comes with it.”

Injury update: Stoops said Kentucky was in “decent shape” injury-wise going into Saturday’s game.

“I think everybody is a little bit banged up,” he said.

Receiver/returner Demarco Robinson hurt his ankle on the opening kickoff return against Miami (Ohio) last week and did not return. He’s averaging 28.2 yards per kickoff return and 27 yards per punt return. He also had five catches for 69 yards and one score in UK’s opening game.

Stoops said he was “not sure yet” about his status for this week.

He did indicate that sophomore cornerback Cody Quinn, out most of the preseason with a sprained ankle, “will be back full speed this week.” He played only briefly against Miami.

“He was ready to go last week in an emergency situation. He was ready to go if we needed him,” Stoops said. “I think he should be healthy and ready to go. That will help give us a little bit of depth. I think Nate (Willis) is getting his legs underneath him, starting to get in shape and playing better.”

Stoops offered no update on linebacker Kory Brown, who did not play last week after being injured against Western Kentucky.

Knowing Strong: Louisville coach Charlie Strong is a former defensive coordinator at Florida and Stoops is the former defensive coordinator at Florida State.

“I've known Charlie for a while,” Stoops said. “I can't recall the first time we crossed paths or whatnot, but just being defensive guys, and I have a lot of respect for Charlie and what he's done and have known him for a while.”

Mitchell named: Kentucky senior guard Kevin Mitchell was named the Southeastern Conference Lineman of the Week for his play against Miami when UK rolled up 675 yards, the third highest total in school history.

Mitchell had nine knockdown blocks, did not allow a sack, did not commit a penalty and graded out at 90 percent.
  • KSR Twitter Feed