Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Avery Williamson on having coaches respect players this year

He knows he’s being counted on not just a defensive leader, but as a team leader by coach Mark Stoops.  However, that suits Kentucky senior linebacker Avery Williamson.

“I am used to it now. I have been doing it since last year. I feel like I have tried to be a leader since my sophomore year really,” said Williamson. “I am used to it. If he wants to put that weight on my shoulders, I will take it up.

“The biggest thing is just knowing what I have to do all the time. I have been in the playbook a lot. Going to meetings with coaches, watching film, just knowing what I have to do on the field and leading by example. I also talk to guys and tell them what is right and what is wrong. That’s a big part of leadership.”

Williamson certainly led by example last year even during UK’s dismal 2-10 season. He finished second in the Southeastern Conference with 135 tackles and was seventh nationally in total tackles. He had a career-best 20 tackles against Vanderbilt, a game where the Commodores embarrassed UK. He had a streak of four games with at least 13 or more tackles in each game, the first UK player to do so since Randy Holleran in 1990.

While Williamson won’t criticize former defensive coordinator Rick Minter for last season’s woes, he did admit that the overall positive vibes from Stoops and his staff could make it easier to lead his teammates.

“It is a lot easier when the guys see the coaches respecting you,” Williamson said.

And that says volumes about what went on with Minter last year.

“It takes a little bit of pressure off you when the coaches respect you. Coach Stoops has really helped me out by backing me up a few times. The assistant coaches and strength coaches have done that as well. That makes a big difference,” Williamson said.

Can that attitude make players perform better?

“I feel like it can. Having a fresh start, I feel like guys will be a whole lot looser and play a lot harder this year,” said Williamson, who has played in 37 career games.
    Comments 11 Comments
      BarristerCat -
      “It is a lot easier when the guys see the coaches respecting you,” Williamson said.

And that says volumes about what went on with Minter last year.
      Wow.
      BigBlueBrock -
      Quote Originally Posted by BarristerCat View Post
      Wow.
      Pretty much.
      badrose -
      That was my reaction too.
      dan_bgblue -
      I am hoping or a little improvement this season. I might actually see a little more than I originally hoped for. The returning players may be a little better than I think they are, and they get the opportunity to show me they are without having to drag around dead a** coaches on the field.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by BarristerCat View Post
      Wow.
      Ican't help but remember all of those who cheered each of Joker's defensive hires! If there was a hall of fame for bad hires, the first two inductees would be Minter and Uzelac.
      BarristerCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Ican't help but remember all of those who cheered each of Joker's defensive hires! If there was a hall of fame for bad hires, the first two inductees would be Minter and Uzelac.
      I think my feeling on hiring Minter was "maybe he won't suck quite as hard as I think he will." Then again, I'm an eternal optimist.
      jazyd -
      Not surprised one bit. Never understood why so any here loved the hire.
      And didnt understand that Joker was afraid to hire outside his friends

QUOTE=BarristerCat;103030]Wow.[/QUOTE]

Why
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      The only hire Joker ever made that was worth a damn was Pat Washington as a WRs coach last year. Thought he was making some serious progress with perennial underachievers like EJ Fields and Aaron Boyd as well as younger guys like Collins and Robinson. Once Max got hurt and we all but abandoned the passing game, the progress wasn't as evident but it did show early IMO.
      anderwt -
      You will not find one positive during the joker era at UK..like is name, he was a joke
      jazyd -
      Pat is a good coach, watched his work here in Ms with USM but I think that was a desperate hire when joker ran out of friends who knew it would be a 1 year job

QUOTE=TRUCKERCATFAN;103062]The only hire Joker ever made that was worth a damn was Pat Washington as a WRs coach last year. Thought he was making some serious progress with perennial underachievers like EJ Fields and Aaron Boyd as well as younger guys like Collins and Robinson. Once Max got hurt and we all but abandoned the passing game, the progress wasn't as evident but it did show early IMO.[/QUOTE]
      suncat05 -
      Well, I for one, am enjoying myself with this new staff and players, as well as enjoying the possibilities for the future that seems to be able to finally move forward with positive emphasis. We haven't even played a game yet with Coach Stoops at the helm and I already feel more positive than I have since Coach Brooks was on the sidelines.
      I am really, really excited about the future of Kentucky football!

Now, if we can just beat Florida sometime before I depart this earth...............
  • KSR Twitter Feed