Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Q&A with Jeff Badet

By LARRY VAUGHT
    larry@amnews.com

LEXINGTON — Jeff Badet doesn’t have many worries on the football field. That’s why the Kentucky freshman receiver from Florida is not the least bit superstitious about wearing No. 13.

“No superstition at all on my part,” said Badet at UK’s Media Day Monday.
    Instead, he thinks it could be lucky since current Buffalo Bills receiver Stevie Johnson wore the same number at Kentucky.

“I heard a lot of people saying lucky 13, but I really don’t know why. Then people started sending me videos of him (Johnson) saying this could be you. Stevie Johnson had the winning touchdown (catch) against Louisville one year. That is significant.”
    Badet’s play could be significant for Kentucky, especially since coach Mark Stoops has emphasized the need to find playmakers. The 6-0, 170-pound Badet has a quick burst, field awareness and body control to both separate from cornerbacks or make difficult catches in traffic. he caught 63 passes for 881 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior and made 46 catches for 718 yards and 11 scores in 2011.

Badet, who finished fifth in the long jump at the Florida state track championship, talked about a variety of other things Monday — the last time he’ll be available to media members until he plays in a game this season.

Question: How did your summer go?
    Badet: “It was busy. I was doing summer school and having workouts every day. Busy, lot of hard work and getting better as a person.”

Question: What have you thought of the UK offense as you’ve tried to learn it and is it perfect for you like you thought?
    Badet: “Oh yeah. I still feel that way even more. Before they were just coming up and telling me about the offense, but with me being here and seeing how the offense is has been great. Just knowing every receiver is going to touch the ball. It’s not like one receiver is going to be singled out and they get all the passes. They spread the wealth and everybody is getting to touch the ball.”

Question: Any particular player been the biggest help for you?
    Badet: “Demarco Robinson. I am playing right behind him, so he has helped me a lot with plays and stuff. Another receiver, Daryl Collins, I am always around him and we are hanging out. That is another person to help me and hang out with. At first, I was homesick and other guys helped me feel at home to get me out of that.”

Question: For a guy who admits he can be almost cocky on the field, did it surprise you that you felt homesick?
    Badet: “To be honest, I got homesick real quick when I got up here. Summer school and workouts were just hard for me to adjust. I had not been through that. Back in high school, I just had workouts in the summer and then would go back home to friends and stuff. This being here kind of got me homesick. Then I went home for the Fourth (of July) and I realized there really wasn’t much for me and nobody is really doing much. So I realized this was the place for me.”

Question: What concerns do you have, if any, going into practice?
    Badet: “I don’t really have a concern. Right now, it’s just learning the plays. I have to get the plays down pat and then everything else is pretty much good.”

Question: What can you tell me about new UK commit Garrett Johnson, who predicted UK fans will love you this year? What did you tell him about UK?
    Badet: “That is my guy. I got him (to commit). I would keep in his head about this is the place you need to be because me and him are the same type of receivers. We were on the same 7-on-7 teams back at home. I wanted him here. Kids need to know if you are a receiver, this is the place you need to be. If the coaches give you an opportunity to come, you should take it. You are going to get an opportunity to play and the quarterback is going to spread the wealth and everybody is going to get an opportunity to touch the ball.”

Question: Did he put too much pressure on you saying you could be an immediate playmaker?
    Badet: “He knows what type of player I am and if I keep working hard and the coaches see that, then of course I will be a playmaker. With the competition here, there is no guarantee I am going to start. If I go out there and do what I can do, then I will get an opportunity to play.”

Question: What do you do best?
    Badet: “Just one-on-one matchup. That’s all we did back home was just practice one-on-one matchups. In the SEC, the corners are like the best in the nation. So we are just working on getting off the line and creating separation from the corner, and that’s what I am really good at.”

Question: Have the other new receivers impressed you?
    Badet: “To be honest, I can’t single out one. We are all working hard. Like the coaches said, we are going to have an opportunity to play, so we all came in hungry. Me, Ryan Timmons, Alex Montgomery have all worked hard every day. I think the older guys see what kind of guys we are and that pushes them more knowing what type of players these freshmen are. It is just all competition. Everybody wants that starting position. Everybody is new to these coaches, so we can push each other and create competition.”
    Comments 2 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      I could handle another Stevie Johnson. Especially during one particular game. "Stevie got loose!"
      suncat05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      I could handle another Stevie Johnson. Especially during one particular game. "Stevie got loose!"
      Agreed! I still catch myself looking for a penalty flag every time I watch that video though. Hard habit to break after all the years of plays gone wrong continually repeating themselves. That started to change under Coach Brooks, and I'm hoping that change in trend continues under Coach Stoops. But yeah, a "Stevie Johnson" replica would be real nice.........especially against WKU & Louisville.
  • KSR Twitter Feed