Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Coach Vince Marrow Recruiter to the Bone

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Tight ends coach Vince Marrow has proven himself to be an ace recruiter of football talent. Of course it’s all on paper but that paper all throughout Ohio in a fit of rage is being balled up and thrown in the trash can or put through the shredder. Evidence of such rage has publicly been expressed by Mark Dantonio who coaches Michigan State.

What makes Marrow such a good recruiter especially in Ohio? Marrow said – “I grew up there, born there, recruited there for ten years – I was at Toledo, I was at Nebraska. It’s a thing where I lived in three of the biggest areas In Ohio, Northwestern Ohio, Central Ohio which is the capital Columbus, and grew up in Northeastern Ohio. Anybody can’t go into Ohio and recruit. It’s like a club. They’ve got to know as a coach that you are going to take care of their guys and the coaches in Ohio, Cincinnati, and Cleveland they have bought into what we are doing here. It’s probably p - - - -d some people off. Because these are kids that would be going to the upper echelon schools in the Big Ten and now they are going to Kentucky and now they are trying to figure it out. What’s going on at Kentucky?” He said that when they say something negative to this kid it turns them off more so he said all they are going to do is keep recruiting Ohio. “Other than Kentucky that’s our home base. Our head coach is from Ohio and I’m from Ohio.”

The coach was asked with such a brutal schedule how do you hold on to these kids? “I can only speak for my guys in Ohio,” a confident Marrow stated. “They know me, I know them, their coaches know me, and they already know what the process is. We know that’s probably going to happen – if we lose a couple games it rocks your boat and people are going to say ‘why are you going there?’ These kids have bought into the process and what we are doing.” Marrow said that in six weeks they were top twenty-eight, 2014 they are anywhere from 5th to first, and are now moving on to fifteen. He said it’s a three year process.

**** We did a mock recruiting process with Marrow and yours truly as the recruit -------- I’m from the state of Alabama and I recently committed to the Crimson Tide of Alabama. Now I decided to open up my recruiting process (that usually means taking more visits and enjoy the recruiting process), you (Marrow) have a chance to talk to me. So what is the first thing you say to me?

The coach: You were going to Alabama because you were going to the best conference. Now I know at least the kid want to play in the best conference so what I’m going to tell this kid, unlike Alabama that is a program that’s established. We are a program that’s going to be established and so if you are a great high school player you have an opportunity to come here and play early and nothing’s going to be given to you but you can get in the field quick, here. And just how Nick Saban in 2008 went in and change that structure Mark Stoops has did this in 2013.

Recruit: What is the structure at Kentucky?

The coach: The process is going to work. People have been throwing out all kind of negative stuff, said we couldn’t get recruits. We did that in thirteen. Now they said we couldn’t get people to come the spring game. We did that. Now they are saying, aw, you can’t keep it up in recruiting. Now we are in the top five. We are not listening to all the noise out there. We are going to keep doing what we are doing and execute what we are doing**********.

Keep them coming coach we all know it the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s and not the x’s and the o’s.
    Comments 3 Comments
      kingcat -
      A fun read Lonny...thanks
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks, Lonny, enjoyed that.
      suncat05 -
      I like the way things are sounding these days. Have to see these guys play, and hoping that everyone is buying into what the staff is saying to them.
      The aura around the football program is changing for the better.
  • KSR Twitter Feed